Seriously considering building the "sandbox" but need advise.

bdp24

Re: Seriously considering building the "sandbox" but need advise.
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2016, 05:06 am »
The room is about 11 by 15 or so. I am mainly listen to 70's (Neil Young, Floyd, Alan Parsons) to more modern music (Steven Wilson, Tool, Beck, Sigur Ros). I listen at a moderate volume, not too loud but not too soft.
After looking into this more and more and now that I have decided to buy 2 sub woofers, thing have changed. I would think it would be best to make

2 / SINGLE DRIVER OB subwoofers

instead of

1 / DOUBLE DRIVER OB subwoofer.

My speakers are book shelf speaker and this way I can set the cross over higher and still have the stereo imaging

Right? AT the same time ........two 12 inch subs seem like crazy over kill for the space

I am totally new at this.........any thoughts?

Am I wrong

A single-woofer OB is not a good idea---not enough output. Two woofers per side is really the minimum, and three the maximum on one amp (using the 16 ohm version of the OB woofer). If you can't save another $400 for a second pair of the woofers (about what they cost with shipping), go with a pair of the sealed subs. If that's overkill (are you sure ;-?), do a single sealed. I myself would hold out for getting a pair of dual-12 OB subs, waiting until I had the $, but that's just me. Another way to go is to build one dual-12 OB sub for now, and enjoy it while you save for a second. If I had to choose between all those options, and was thinking long term, that's what I would do.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2016, 05:20 pm »
[quoteAnother way to go is to build one dual-12 OB sub for now, and enjoy it while you save for a second][/quote]
+1  That's my plan.  Anyone in Austin interested in my 15" sonosub?

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2016, 01:54 pm »
For music only go with OB all the way. You'll have a hard time wiping the grin off your face  :thumb:

Just beware of the monster you will be creating. Look at Jay (Captainhemo), he started off with one dual 12" driver OB sub and now he has two triple 12" driver OB subs, one for each channel Bwaaahhhaahahahahaha !!!!!  :icon_twisted:

FIY, if you go with the SW-12-16FR drivers you give up some output over the 08FR's but if you decide you would like the three driver version later on you would only have to buy one more driver. The A370PEQ amp can drive two of the 8 Ohm or 3 of the 16 Ohm drivers.

Mike

Don't use me as an example of the "monster he's about to release", give that  honour to Rich (HAL) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140374.0  :lol:

Mike is right,  for music , you  won't find better, the detail and accuracy of bass  is amazing.

Regarding the  SW12 08FR / SW12 16FR,  yeah, you do sacrifice a  bit of maximum output by using the 16's , but een when I had a single  dual H-frame with 2  SW12 16FR's,  I did not have to  max out the gain to reach sufficent  SPL levels  in my  roomn.  If you are interested in  the 16 ohm version to keep an upgrade path open,  you'll need to talk to Danny about shipping dates.
Interestingly enough,  as I've upgraded the subs, first from the single  dual  h-frame  to  2 dual  h-frames, now to  dual triples,  it is not about the SPL (for me anyway)... it  is all about the  extra weight , or impact, you get  by moving  more air. Even at low volumes, the larger arrays just seem to creat such a foundation . Seems the more  drivers used, the  more ambiance you have.  That being said,  until you hear more, you  won't find anything lacking with the duals, I'd have never  gone to the triples if I hadn't built a set of triples for Don and  tested them in my room  (big mistake :nono: )
I know you had a similar feeling Mike when you switched from the 8's to the 12's ... I can only imagine   how  Rich's and  Steve's  dual 6x12 towers  sound  8)

Another way to go is to build one dual-12 OB sub for now, and enjoy it while you save for a second
+1  That's my plan.  Anyone in Austin interested in my 15" sonosub?

That's how I started Hank,  it actually worked quite well too  :thumb:

I've paired the pair of dual 12's with OB7's, NX-Otica's,  X LS Encores,  PMC TB2 Signature's  and  Piega P10's, they  were extremely easy to  integrate with each.  They truely bring the performcance of each to incredible levels.  When my buddy brought the PMC monitors over, he was blown away at the difference the subs made and by how simple they were to dial in. 

jay