LSAF 2016

gab

LSAF 2016
« on: 4 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm »
Danny - The 2016 LSAF webpage shows you as an exhibitor this year.  :D http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

What design will you be showing off this year?

gab

Danny Richie

Re: LSAF 2016
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm »
Danny - The 2016 LSAF webpage shows you as an exhibitor this year.  :D http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

What design will you be showing off this year?

gab

I have not made plans to go as of yet.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2016, 11:42 pm »
Some of Danny's speakers will be there in any event. I plan on bringing my Wedgies with the dual 12" Wedge base units for sure and possibly a pair of X-CS Encores on top of a pair of the Best Speaker Stands ever. 

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2016, 07:41 pm »
Finally getting some pics of my room posted.  I took two systems with me, the Wedgies w/Wedge base for 12" drivers and an pair of X-CS Encores on top of the Best Speaker Stands Ever.  I was planning om having each system in it's own room but at the last minute my grandson was not able to get off work so I just had one room. The Wedgies were the main system. The Encores and BSSE's sat against a wall to display the work most of the time. I did set them up for sound but did not dial them in like I did the Wedgies. A lot of people admired the Encores and stands and one person had me set them up so he could listen.

There was a lot of positive comments. Especially about the bass. It's integration, fullness, not overpowering, etc. The types of things we have come to expect with the servo controlled OB bass. However, judging from the number of people consistently in my next door neighbor's room, my room lacked a gut punching fun factor that the heavier bassed systems seemed to have. To be fair to the 12" Wedge basses, I could have run the bass a lot hotter. The volume controls on the A370's were just barely past 12 o'clock. That's where my SPL meter said things blended best and where a sweep sounded smooth (after PEQing out a big peak at 30Hz).

Another issue regarding my lack of fun factor is very likely I'm an old fart with a non-youthful taste in music which my library clearly reflects; no acid, punk, heavy metal, etc here. Other than that I think it went well. A number of people stopped by more than once to listen to the Wedgies. They were not the only open baffle system at the show. There were at least two others. Manzanita was one, I didn't get to hear the other.

Now for the pics. First up is my Equipment. I had two sources, my computer with an SOtM sound card and an OPPO 105D. Two DACs, a DODD Audio battery powered 32/384 Hi-Rez DAC and the DAC in the OPPO. The preamp was a DODD Audio battery powered Tube Buffer. The power amp was a Prima Luna Prologue 4 with an upgraded tube complement. I also had four of the GIK Acoustics 4A Alpha Diffusor/Absorber pannels behind the Wedgies.

Here's the Wedgies/Wedge bases.I haven't built the more stylish plinths yet. The veneer on the subs is called French burl which is a burl from the European Black Poplar:

Here are closeups of the A370 amp boxes. The wood is Bocote:

Here are the X-CS Encores and the Best Speaker Stands Ever. The veneer on the Encores is Ambrosia maple (a.k.a. ghost or wormy maple). The worm holes and knot voids have been inlaid with crushed turquoise. The plinths and top plates of the speaker stands is solid purpleheart.

I had a great time at the show.

Mike

DeeJayBump

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2016, 08:08 pm »
Mike-

Those look great. Thanks for posting these pics. Great work.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2016, 08:22 pm »
Mike-

Those look great. Thanks for posting these pics. Great work.

You're welcome.  Thanks

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2016, 09:37 pm »
Thanks for the report Mike. Have you considered covering the Wedgies in the same Burl as the Bass Wedges? That would make a beautiful looking integrated pair! Regarding your room vs. room story, it's kinda like trying to woo a new girlfriend at a table in a restaurant while the guy at the next table is ranting and raving in a drunken fit ;-).

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2016, 10:56 pm »
Thanks for the report Mike. Have you considered covering the Wedgies in the same Burl as the Bass Wedges? That would make a beautiful looking integrated pair! Regarding your room vs. room story, it's kinda like trying to woo a new girlfriend at a table in a restaurant while the guy at the next table is ranting and raving in a drunken fit ;-).

Eric,

I hear what you are saying. Though I would characterize it as more of a different style thing, OB vs bass reflex. The room next to me was JWM Acoustics and Joshua's speakers are top notch. Imaging was spot on, the sound was full and bass extension was much deeper than I expected based on the size of the drivers and MTM cabinet. There was one piece, an acoustic guitar solo by Willie Nelson that I was able to listen to on both his system and mine. His sounded more aggressive while mine was smoother. 

Most of the bass reflex designs were fun to listen to, especially when played loud, and were punchier than mine but were not as clean, clear or articulate as the Wedgies. For detail, clarity, size and depth of soundstage, lack of fatigue and overall musicality I preferred the Wedgies / dual 12" servo sub combo (yes I'm a little biased but that doesn't necessarily make me wrong  :lol:). 

I thought about putting the same veneer on the Wedgies. I'm not sure that that wouldn't be too much but if I have enough left I may do it. However, at $600 a sheet, I won't buy any more if I don't.

Mike

« Last Edit: 10 May 2016, 03:59 am by mlundy57 »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2016, 11:19 pm »
Mike,
The setups look great!

Should I bring the two 6x12's and set them to have some fun with the bass reflex guys?    :D

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2016, 11:29 pm »
Nice job Mike, thanks for the pics!

Great looking builds, I love that veneer on the bass unit.

Cool of you to introduce attendees to the wonderful world of OB :thumb:.

Best,
Ed

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2016, 01:22 am »
Mike --

That's a ridiculous amount of awesomeness you displayed at LSAF.

No need to justify the sound of OB bass relative to the one-noteyness of nearly all other subs. OB servo bass sounds like it's supposed to; the others are imitators.  8)

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2016, 03:29 am »
Your cabinets are gorgeous as usual Mike, nicely done  :thumb:
Glad to hear it was a good timje

Eric, probably on my own here  as usal  :lol:,  I'd do the opposite and   cover the  bases in the same as the  Wedgies (sorry Mike , can't recall what  veneer that is) , not a huge  burl fan .  I do  however love that  orignal veneer Mike used ,  awesome !  Would have been so cool to use   a continuous sheet to do the   Wedgies and the bases so they  were matched

jay

dobanion

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2016, 03:42 am »
I stopped by LSAF and had the pleasure to meet Mike and got to hear the Wedgies.  I was particularly interested in Mikes room as I had just bought a set of used X-statics several weeks prior and had never heard any of the GR Research designs.  Many of the speakers at the show sounded good, but I cannot get the sound of the Wedgies out of my mind.  The highs were sweet, the lows controlled and the music sounded unforced and right.  Best sound of the show in my opinion. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2016, 04:06 am »
Mike,
The setups look great!

Should I bring the two 6x12's and set them to have some fun with the bass reflex guys?    :D

Rich,

That would be something, provided they would fit in the room  :thumb:

Your cabinets are gorgeous as usual Mike, nicely done  :thumb:
Glad to hear it was a good timje

Eric, probably on my own here  as usal  :lol:,  I'd do the opposite and   cover the  bases in the same as the  Wedgies (sorry Mike , can't recall what  veneer that is) , not a huge  burl fan .  I do  however love that  orignal veneer Mike used ,  awesome !  Would have been so cool to use   a continuous sheet to do the   Wedgies and the bases so they  were matched

jay

Jay,

When used as veneer, the wood on the Wedgies is called Mozambique. Other names it is known by include Amazaque, Ovenkol, Ovangkol, Kolima, Shedua, Anokye, Ehie, Amazakoue, Tropical Olive, Amazique, or Daniella / Daniela

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2016, 05:32 am »
I stopped by LSAF and had the pleasure to meet Mike and got to hear the Wedgies.  I was particularly interested in Mikes room as I had just bought a set of used X-statics several weeks prior and had never heard any of the GR Research designs.  Many of the speakers at the show sounded good, but I cannot get the sound of the Wedgies out of my mind.  The highs were sweet, the lows controlled and the music sounded unforced and right.  Best sound of the show in my opinion.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I have and have had a number of Danny's designs and these are my favoriate.

Mike

Keithh

« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2016, 06:20 am »
Mike,

Have you changed the coupling caps in your Prologue 4? I bought one about 6 months ago to see if the Wedgies
would benefit with more power than my SET amps have. Powerful and dynamic amp but grainy, harsh and a flat soundstage compared to my SET amps.
Installed some Jupiter Copper caps and it totally transformed that amp. Still powerful and dynamic, but now incredibly smooth
detailed sound with a huge soundstage. Didn't think the Wedgies could get much better until last week when I installed
Jantzen Copper/Wax coils in the Wedgie cross-overs. Now I am in just total awe of these speakers.

voltz

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2016, 12:16 am »
Hey Mike

Glad I got to see and talk to you again at this years LSAF, I loved your Wedgies and you room was always full or at least had someone who was in for a listen to your speakers! I'm glad we got to go out for BBQ this year at the Ten 50 BBQ as I think it was the best I've found in Dallas. Plus it was great when you & Josh should up to my room for the last night party that just seemed to happen. Was a great time and another good year for me there. I will be back next year as I will now always set aside vacation for the LSAF.
Darryl

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2016, 12:50 am »
Your photos don't do justice to that crushed turquoise used to fill the holes in the burl.  That was stunningly cool.   :thumb:

Scott

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2016, 01:34 am »
Hey Mike

Glad I got to see and talk to you again at this years LSAF, I loved your Wedgies and you room was always full or at least had someone who was in for a listen to your speakers! I'm glad we got to go out for BBQ this year at the Ten 50 BBQ as I think it was the best I've found in Dallas. Plus it was great when you & Josh should up to my room for the last night party that just seemed to happen. Was a great time and another good year for me there. I will be back next year as I will now always set aside vacation for the LSAF.
Darryl

Darryl,

Thanks. Good seeing you again also. The after party was a lot of fun for me. Everything was packed up and I was just kicking back for the rest of the night.

I'll be back as well. No idea what I'll be bringing. I'm currently working an a modified version of one of Danny's new OB designs, the NX-Otica. I might bring that.  Even though I don't really have enough room for both the full size version of this speaker and the servo bass H-Frames in my home, I might try to build out a pair for LASF 2017   :dunno:.

Your photos don't do justice to that crushed turquoise used to fill the holes in the burl.  That was stunningly cool.   :thumb:

Scott

Scott,

Thanks. A fair amount of additional work but it makes for a unique pair of speakers.

One of these days I have got to learn how to take a good product photo.

Mike

gab

« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2016, 05:54 pm »
I'm glad we got to go out for BBQ this year at the Ten 50 BBQ as I think it was the best I've found in Dallas.

Then next time you need to try Pecan Lodge in the Deep Ellum area near downtown. I like Ten 50 and eat there often, but Pecan Lodge is the best BBQ in Dallas IMO.

gab