BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again

Danny Richie

Re: BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again
« Reply #60 on: 27 May 2016, 01:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny and good to hear that the Neo 3 replacement is progressing nicely.  That does prompt a further thought.  I'm wondering whether you could make a lower priced line array speaker to fully rival the Line Force by using a line of your forthcoming planar tweeters in their waveguides alongside a line of say 8 of the M165NQ drivers?

I'd have to go back to a custom woofer for that. The sensitivity of the NQ's would exceed the Neo's pretty quick if the line got very long. And that would be a pretty pricey kit still.

studley

« Reply #61 on: 27 May 2016, 01:47 pm »
I was thinking DSP active crossover which would enable the sensitivity miss match to be addressed.  ( I already own a miniDSP 4x10 )

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 27 May 2016, 01:58 pm »
I was thinking DSP active crossover which would enable the sensitivity miss match to be addressed.  ( I already own a miniDSP 4x10 )

I'm not going to design anything that requires a Mini DSP. I might as well use a passive crossover with electrolytic caps and iron core inductors. It's just too much of an entry level product performance wise. Rich Hollis has the only active (all digital) system out there that I'd consider using. If you want to go that route I'll hook you up with Rich.

studley

« Reply #63 on: 27 May 2016, 02:06 pm »
OK understood and I'm sure you are right in thinking the miniDSP has plenty of shortcomings. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #64 on: 27 May 2016, 02:30 pm »
Thanks Danny!

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 27 May 2016, 02:44 pm »
OK understood and I'm sure you are right in thinking the miniDSP has plenty of shortcomings.

It's a great piece of gear for what it cost. There is a lot of power and functionality there to do a lot. But in the end it is still a budget based and budget built piece of gear. You can't buy a good mid-level to high end DAC for what that whole unit sells for.

studley

« Reply #66 on: 27 May 2016, 02:57 pm »
It's a great piece of gear for what it cost. There is a lot of power and functionality there to do a lot. But in the end it is still a budget based and budget built piece of gear. You can't buy a good mid-level to high end DAC for what that whole unit sells for.
Yup.  We have a saying in England, you get what you pay for . .     
It's your drivers and designs I'm interested in Danny so I'm happy to defer to your expertise.

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2016, 03:02 pm »
Thanks, Danny.

Sounds like the NX-Otica and NX-Treme--coupled with OB servos, of course--are both outstanding, quite probably unbeatable options at somewhat "sane" prices.  :D

Yup, it is an investment , but the performance you get out of these speakers (NX-Ottica's) and OB servo subs is OUTSTANDING, if you  went after this level of performance via a production speaker, the price tag would be seriously hefty. 

I've got a few hundred hours on my NX-Ottica's now and they seem to keep getting better   :dance:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 28 May 2016, 10:21 pm »
A new wave guide arrived today.  :green:

studley

« Reply #69 on: 28 May 2016, 11:43 pm »
Excited by the development of your new planar tweeter.  Does the new waveguide mean that it will be possible to just fit the tweeter + waveguide to a flat baffle instead of having to carve out the waveguide from  a 1.5" baffle ?

persisting1

« Reply #70 on: 28 May 2016, 11:43 pm »
A new wave guide arrived today.  :green:

Please don't post pictures of it. I have too much to do this weekend  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 28 May 2016, 11:52 pm »
Excited by the development of your new planar tweeter.  Does the new waveguide mean that it will be possible to just fit the tweeter + waveguide to a flat baffle instead of having to carve out the waveguide from  a 1.5" baffle ?

Naw man, I've going to make it real easy. All you have to do is cut a round through hole with a recess just like mounting any other tweeter.

studley

« Reply #72 on: 28 May 2016, 11:58 pm »
Brilliant :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 29 May 2016, 03:47 am »
Will it work with the LGK drivers for the Wedgie? It seems like it would be too wide and possibly too deep compared to the LGK drivers. This would then require a wider baffle for the Wedgies. How would that effect imaging?

A rectangular opening is not all that difficult to cut with a router. You would outline the opening with scrap MDF then use a pattern bit to make the cut. The corners would be rounded rather than square but could be squared off with a chisel if necessary. With this method you would cut the through hole first then the recess.

A little more work than just using a circle jig but not much. 

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #74 on: 29 May 2016, 05:47 am »
I'd imagine Danny will  also have  .75"   wave guides made as well   :scratch:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 29 May 2016, 06:44 pm »
Will it work with the LGK drivers for the Wedgie? It seems like it would be too wide and possibly too deep compared to the LGK drivers. This would then require a wider baffle for the Wedgies. How would that effect imaging?

A rectangular opening is not all that difficult to cut with a router. You would outline the opening with scrap MDF then use a pattern bit to make the cut. The corners would be rounded rather than square but could be squared off with a chisel if necessary. With this method you would cut the through hole first then the recess.

A little more work than just using a circle jig but not much. 

Mike

The new wave guide will be too big and to deep for the Wedgie's but the new drivers will allow me to continue to offer that kit. The small wave guide needed will have to be milled into the baffles again though.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 29 May 2016, 07:11 pm »
Jay ???   :green:

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #77 on: 29 May 2016, 10:24 pm »
Jay ???   :green:

Mike

I just figured Danny wold  make a 1.5"  waveguide for the  deeper, more rear ward set  boice coils and a samller  .75"   option for  the LGK drivers.
Maybe I'm missing the  way this  wave guide will  work, I  figured it would  be a faceplate on the front   with a  wave guide  and a tweeter mounting flange at the rear just like I  did the  backside of the  NX-Ottica/ NX-Treme baffles. If that's case, why not just make a shallower option as well , basically different faceplate/waveguide options with the same flange on  the rear.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #78 on: 29 May 2016, 11:33 pm »
Probably one issue would be the overall width. If the faceplate is to be round so the opening is easy to cut with a circle jig than the diameter would be based on the length of the waveguide plus room for a mounting flange. Looking at my Wedgies, that would end up with the tweeter opening 5/8"-1" wider than the LKG driver openings.

That would probably mean making the baffle wider for the tweeter to fit. Don't know what that would do to the performance. With a rectangular faceplate the baffle width could be kept the same. You couldn't cut the opening with a circle jig but, like I mentioned, you could easily cut it with a pattern bit. 

Another issue could be the amount of time, effort and money that would need to go into developing a second waveguide vs the expected number to be sold. The 1-1/2" waveguide will probably work with any design (OB or box) that uses the M165 woofer family and possibly the M130 also while a 3/4" waveguide would probably be limited to designs using the LGK drivers.

Of course this is all pure speculation on my part.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 30 May 2016, 01:21 am »
I just figured Danny wold  make a 1.5"  waveguide for the  deeper, more rear ward set  boice coils and a samller  .75"   option for  the LGK drivers. Maybe I'm missing the  way this  wave guide will  work, I  figured it would  be a faceplate on the front   with a  wave guide  and a tweeter mounting flange at the rear just like I  did the  backside of the  NX-Ottica/ NX-Treme baffles. If that's case, why not just make a shallower option as well , basically different faceplate/waveguide options with the same flange on  the rear.

It will cost thousands of dollars in tooling and molds to make these things. So for now only one larger size will be made.

The 1-1/2" waveguide will probably work with any design (OB or box) that uses the M165 woofer family and possibly the M130 also while a 3/4" waveguide would probably be limited to designs using the LGK drivers.

For the Wedgies the smaller wave guide can be milled into the baffles just as before.