Limited edition new NX-Otica and NX-Treme models coming soon too.

Danny Richie

so how low does the  nxotica play?

The one I tested in my room played flat to 60Hz then fell like a rock. It made it real easy to blend one of our open baffle servo subs with it.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Danny/Jay - splitting the 82.5" pieces in half might save significant UPS charges, as they charge a lot for long dimensions.  Easy to butt-join them together with a Kreg jig.

Danny Richie

Danny/Jay - splitting the 82.5" pieces in half might save significant UPS charges, as they charge a lot for long dimensions.  Easy to butt-join them together with a Kreg jig.

Good idea Hank.

Captainhemo

What about the  bafle though ?

jay

Hank

?  ALL the long pieces - including the baffle.  UPS will charge a big premium for a package that is that long (82.5" plus padding on each end); in fact, that may be too long for UPS to accept - not sure.  Also, more prone to being damaged, being a bit awkward to handle, and UPS is not know to be overly careful with big cartons :|

prokennex

How large a room would be needed for the NX Treme model?
My room is 13.4 feet by 25.5 feet and 8 feet in height.
tks

Danny Richie

How large a room would be needed for the NX Treme model?
My room is 13.4 feet by 25.5 feet and 8 feet in height.
tks

That would work great.

sfox7076

Can we please change the title to "edition"?  Addition is killing me.

Danny Richie

Can we please change the title to "edition"?  Addition is killing me.

Good idea. And how obvious now that you mention it.

NachoTime

Any chance of employing biscuits on the flat packs?  I wouldn't mind paying a bit more as it would make assembly much, much easier.

Captainhemo

Any chance of employing biscuits on the flat packs?  I wouldn't mind paying a bit more as it would make assembly much, much easier.

It is definitley something  we'll lookinto.  The wings will fint into   the baffle and meet the roundover  at 10 degrees.

jay

Folsom

Dominoes would be utterly amazing.

jcotner

Dominoes would be utterly amazing.

And so is the price Festool gets for that system. It is nice though.
I have a floor standing dowel machine that is faster than both,
but I'm not volunteering.

Hank

I've built many speaker cabinets over the years, from Danny's original huge and heavy Alpha LS to monitor sizes and I've never used biscuits or dowels OR screws.  Accurate 90 degree cut parts will glue very strong if clamped correctly.  For large tower-size cabs, I'll brad nail in a few spots the large pieces right after glue application to keep them aligned while applying clamps.

Folsom

And so is the price Festool gets for that system. It is nice though.
I have a floor standing dowel machine that is faster than both,
but I'm not volunteering.

The way it registers it's superior to dowels for certain applications. There's always the Mafell duo-dowel too. :green:

NachoTime

Accurate 90 degree cut parts will glue very strong if clamped correctly.

From the looks of things (based on pictures and wedgie build threads) these don't have many 90 degree cuts and others have had a little trouble keeping everything lined up during assembly.   It's certainly doable without help (properly angled scrap pieces, brads, etc), but it seems a little added time/effort to add biscuits would simplify things.

Looking forward to see how this design evolves.  The lower x-over point, driver alignment and improved low-end authority sound like great improvements. 

Captainhemo

A model of the  NX-Ottica cabinet after implementing some cosmetic changes.   Just learning  t o use the software so it's been  a bit of a challange. There is supposed to be a free plugin for Sketchup called  Roundcorner  , makes  doing roundovers  and bevels etc  much easier (there  will of course be a wave cuide, I'm just struggling to  model it )   I need to get my hands on that 

jay

Danny Richie

Looks great!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
A model of the  NX-Ottica cabinet after implementing some cosmetic changes.   Just learning  t o use the software so it's been  a bit of a challange. There is supposed to be a free plugin for Sketchup called  Roundcorner  , makes  doing roundovers  and bevels etc  much easier (there  will of course be a wave cuide, I'm just struggling to  model it )   I need to get my hands on that 

jay

Jay, I can't comment on the add-on module, but you can do bevels and roundovers pretty easily in Sketchup by first drawing the profile in one plane and then either use the push-pull tool or the follow me tool. On that wave guide you could draw it in cross-section starting from the small opening and then follow me around the opening. Hard to explain without benefit of eyeballs on screen.

Two bits of advice I'll offer up. 1. Make groups of individual components (baffle, box, etc.) so you can more easily modify them later. 2.Make use of the Hide tool.  As an example, you can hide the baffle as you work on box, etc. I love Sketchup for all kinds of things and I barely scratch the surface of it's capability, let alone plug-ins. Lots of tutorials, I imagine what I want to do, then Google that specific operation.

If you like, I could send you model for X-otica to play with, would just need your email address. If you've a notion,  I'll mess around with your N model if you send my way.

Captainhemo

Thanks guys, 
Been using the tutorials, a big help and  the first one I watched showed the imjportance of using groups so I have been doig that... most of the time  (forgot once an "glued a piece onto the model which I was

jay