BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:42 pm »
The thing you have to remember is displays add a lot of cost to a unit and given the IPad and such devices we really felt it was like reinventing the wheel???

james

I hear you James, and I understand why you made the decisions you did. I can only look at these things from a consumer's point of view, and of course my own preferences as a consumer. While I, in fact, use my mPad app 99% of the time, I would still pay for easier controls and a readable display. Knowing how good the BDP-1 is, right now I'd be prepared to pay an additional $1000 for these improvements in a BDP-2.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #61 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:53 pm »
James,

Just so I'm clear on this, the functional upgrade is just a matter of a software update. So, I can go ahead and order the BDP-1 now, correct? I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but I assume there will be no issues with a Netgear ReadyNAS.

Just tell me to place the order! :lol:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #62 on: 16 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm »
I hear you James, and I understand why you made the decisions you did. I can only look at these things from a consumer's point of view, and of course my own preferences as a consumer. While I, in fact, use my mPad app 99% of the time, I would still pay for easier controls and a readable display. Knowing how good the BDP-1 is, right now I'd be prepared to pay an additional $1000 for these improvements in a BDP-2.

I've had a SONOS for a while. It has absolutely no display. I actually like that about it. When I tried the Marantz NA-7004 (failed - inserted gaps between files), it did have a display, but I couldn't read it from where I sit. The same will be true for the BDP-1. It's unnecessary anyway. Since I will be controlling the thing with a tablet, I already have all of the display I need.

To be useful (to me anyway), the display would have to be significantly larger - therefore, the device would have to be taller. I'm not sure that makes much sense, even though I do understand your desire.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #63 on: 16 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm »
James,

Just so I'm clear on this, the functional upgrade is just a matter of a software update. So, I can go ahead and order the BDP-1 now, correct? I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but I assume there will be no issues with a Netgear ReadyNAS.

Hi

Correct it will be a software update.

james

mario09

« Reply #64 on: 16 Jul 2012, 11:05 pm »
[James,

Just tell me to place the order! quote]

Kevin360,

You can place an order :thumb: I have a Netgear Ultra 2 Plus NAS and it works like a charm with the recent beta software. I disconnected my WD 2TB hard drive and I am only using my NAS with my BDP1. I only wish a Web radio service like vTuner or Tunein Radio in the BDP1 and I will be in heaven!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #65 on: 16 Jul 2012, 11:47 pm »
Done and Dusted :icon_lol:

The order is placed. Now, I await delivery.

rompolompo

Tech questions for Chris
« Reply #66 on: 17 Jul 2012, 12:23 am »
Hi Chris,

These are some of the challenges I had when I set up my MPD server:

1. What is the speed on the NIC? Is it 10/100 or 10/100/1000?
2. If I use my NAS, when I reboot the BDP-1, will it re-index the entire library?
3. If I turn on the BDP-1 and the NAS is offline, will the BDP-1 lose the db file?
4. Where do you store the db file (for MPD)?

Thanks!

Ran

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #67 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:07 am »
James,

Hello,

We have successfully tested Te bdp with a netgear router with integrated ReadyNAS successfully

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #68 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:09 am »
Regarding the display, it actually can't be made any larger without increasing the hieght of the product.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Tech questions for Chris
« Reply #69 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:17 am »
Hi Ran,

1. What is the speed on the NIC? Is it 10/100 or 10/100/1000? 100Mb
2. If I use my NAS, when I reboot the BDP-1, will it re-index the entire library?
No, the bdp takes an additional 10 seconds to startup, mount any NAS devices four in its settings before it starts mpd.

3. If I turn on the BDP-1 and the NAS is offline, will the BDP-1 lose the db file?
Yes it will

Currently we store it on the same compact flash card that stores the Linux OS

Hope I have answered to your satisfaction, please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns

Cheers
Chris

DaveNote

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:43 am »
Regarding the display, it actually can't be made any larger without increasing the hieght of the product.

Chris

Chris, I really don't get the point about height. Not all Bryston products are the same height. Is a 7BSST2 the same height as a BDP-1 or is a SP3? No doubt there are reasons they aren't. So, if Bryston decides that there are reasons justifying a better display...and better controls...then I suppose that it would make sense to have a bigger box. I don't see the height issue, in and of itself, being an obstacle to haviing a better display and controls. Bigger box? Frankly, so what?

The question for Bryston would be not the height, but rather customer demand, the need to produce a product at a higher price point, and the competitive consequences of those factors. Those are just the same issues all manufactureres have to face. I'm a customer, so all I can say is what I would like to have. If there are enough customers with the same demands, then I suppose Bryston might start to consider these issues. If there aren't, then the only consequence would be my disappointment, which I guess Bryston, with effort, just might be able to live with. :D

NMG

« Reply #71 on: 17 Jul 2012, 01:40 pm »
Forgive my density (no pun intended), but I still am not clear on what this mythical NAS does for me or what connects to what? Right now I copy music from my laptop on to an HDD, which connects via USB to BDP-1 and which I control either through Gnome or MPD.

What additional hardware/software do I need for an NAS; what connects to what; and what controls what?

Thank you. I am trying to avoid grinding my teeth and asking more silly questions in the future.

Neal :?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #72 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:19 pm »
Forgive my density (no pun intended), but I still am not clear on what this mythical NAS does for me or what connects to what? Right now I copy music from my laptop on to an HDD, which connects via USB to BDP-1 and which I control either through Gnome or MPD.

What additional hardware/software do I need for an NAS; what connects to what; and what controls what?

Thank you. I am trying to avoid grinding my teeth and asking more silly questions in the future.

Neal :?

Hi Neal,

If you wanted to implement a dedicated NAS, all you need is a NAS to plug into your home network.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008027%20600016055&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=usb&name=2.1TB%20and%20Higher&ActiveSearchResult=True&Pagesize=20

Once you have acquired a device like one of the ones in the link above, you simply plug it into your home network.  Rather then ripping your cd's to the USB hard drive, you would rip directly to the storage in the NAS over the network.

You then issue an update command to the BDP-1 via either the home page or settings page.  Once the update is complete, your additional files are visible to the BDP for playback.

Some home routers like the netgear and asus router's we have here at bryston have a USB port to receive a USB hard drive which allows the router to act as a NAS.

Finally, if all you want is the convience of a NAS; the BDP will do this on its own.  Simply plug the USB hard drive into your BDP while it is turned off, turn the unit back on and it will share any drives over the network that are connected to it via USB.

Chris

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #73 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:01 pm »
Done and Dusted :icon_lol:

The order is placed. Now, I await delivery.

Nice decision.   :thumb:

I have had my BDP-1/BDA-1 combo for the last year or so and it is has really shined in my system.

Easy to use and great sound was the combination I was looking for and I can say "mission accomplished".

Enjoy.

George

rompolompo

Re: Tech questions for Chris
« Reply #74 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:05 pm »
Chris,

Thank you for the prompt reply. A gigabit Ethernet would be nice in future versions.

Regards,

Ran

Hi Ran,

1. What is the speed on the NIC? Is it 10/100 or 10/100/1000? 100Mb
No, the bdp takes an additional 10 seconds to startup, mount any NAS devices four in its settings before it starts mpd.

Yes it will

Currently we store it on the same compact flash card that stores the Linux OS

Hope I have answered to your satisfaction, please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns

Cheers
Chris

NMG

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:09 pm »
Thanks to Chris and others who have responded. Let me check my Verizon FIOS router and study your comments to see if it is worthwhile to undertake the effort. The one pain with the BDP-1 heretofore has been moving the music files from my laptop onto the externall HDD I use with the BDP-1, and if I can avoid this while maintaining ease of locating and controlling the music, it may be worthwhile.

Neal

DaveNote

« Reply #76 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm »
Hi Neal,

If you wanted to implement a dedicated NAS, all you need is a NAS to plug into your home network.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008027%20600016055&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=usb&name=2.1TB%20and%20Higher&ActiveSearchResult=True&Pagesize=20

Once you have acquired a device like one of the ones in the link above, you simply plug it into your home network.  Rather then ripping your cd's to the USB hard drive, you would rip directly to the storage in the NAS over the network.

You then issue an update command to the BDP-1 via either the home page or settings page.  Once the update is complete, your additional files are visible to the BDP for playback.

Some home routers like the netgear and asus router's we have here at bryston have a USB port to receive a USB hard drive which allows the router to act as a NAS.

Finally, if all you want is the convience of a NAS; the BDP will do this on its own.  Simply plug the USB hard drive into your BDP while it is turned off, turn the unit back on and it will share any drives over the network that are connected to it via USB.

Chris

Chris, here is another question from a non-techie.

I have a Linksys router and I can plug in a USB hard drive into it as a storage device. I checked out your link about NAS units and have this question. Can I plug in any hard drive into my router to use the upcoming BDP-1 software or must the hard drive be one, like those shown in the link, that are designated as NAS units?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #77 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm »
File Serving Vs Streaming

Hi Folks.

There appears to be some confusion regarding the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player and digital streaming based on our new software allowing connection to a NAS (network attached storage).

People use the word "streaming" often when they mean simply ‘file serving’, like a NAS to a computer, or a hard drive to a computer.  The Bryston approach is 'file-based' and the software player is looking for the file (.wav, .flac, etc). 

With streaming music, it is a packet-ized flow of TCP/IP instructions (like Squeezebox).  It is in packets and requires a handshake of sorts. 

That is what UpnP servers do, like internet radio, so the BDP-1 will do streaming also but the main focus is accessing digital files stored on a Harddrive.   

Therefore,  NAS hard drive access is not technically streaming.  It is starting to be an easy term to mis-use that somehow has become the way to describe "sending files" to software players.

So in the case of the BDP-1 Digital Player when you are connected to a NAS or an attached USB drive you are ‘accessing a file’ not ‘receiving packets’ of information from a source with a handshake.

james
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2012, 02:43 pm by James Tanner »

DaveNote

« Reply #78 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:24 pm »
File Serving Vs Streaming

That is what UpnP servers do, like internet radio, so the BDP-2 will do streaming also but the main focus is accessing digital files stored on a Harddrive.   

james

An explanation even I can understand! James, I have not read to date that you are working on a BDP-2. I see it mentioned here. Can you give estimated shipping times, estimated cost?

Can you start a new topic to report on progress, as you did with the BDP-1 and BHA-1?

Marius

« Reply #79 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:35 pm »
Hi James,

Since the Bdp1 is already able to stream internetradio, why do you state you start supporting "streaming" on new Bdp2? If you could make that a bit more user friendly to operate, that would be most welcome. I sincerely hope that is still on your to-do-list for the Bdp1 and don't let that aspect wait till the release of a Bdp2 is imminent..

Reading your post again makes me wonder your bdp2 is really a typo and in fact you meant to type Bdp1...(fingers crossed)

Marius