BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:11 pm »
Hi Folks,

Chris has been working on software to allow the BDP-1 digital player to connect to a NAS using SAMBA - I will be testing it this weekend and need about 3 or 4 beta testers if anyone is interested.

The NAS units we have used successfully are QNAP, Apple Time Capsule, WD MyBook (NAS), Native Microsoft and we are working on Apple shares. (AFP), Synology DS710+ and a Thecus N0503.

james

Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com if you want to give it a try.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2012, 06:38 pm by James Tanner »

mpv

Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2012, 01:02 pm »
Very good news James.Don't forget Synology NAS for testing if you have one around.
Keep up with the good work.

Vipers

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:18 pm »
Interesting news James, so does the BDP-1 see the NAS drive over the network or do you have to connect the NAS drive to the BDP-1 via USB?

I plan to buy a Qnap TS-219P very shortly so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:35 pm »
Interesting news James, so does the BDP-1 see the NAS drive over the network or do you have to connect the NAS drive to the BDP-1 via USB?

I plan to buy a Qnap TS-219P very shortly so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Thanks,

See's the NAS on the network.

james

Marius

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:30 pm »
well well, this is getting better every day! Last beta I received from Chris, testing the NAs connectivity has some things to straighten out still, but I can see, and play (!) all my files on a HDD attached to my Apple TimeMachine in my network. Right now it is still indexing it and the Timemachine, where I have all my files backed up that are on the HDDs attached to the BDP1. Bit of an overkill of course, but when this turns out to be working, I can rethink the drive topology...

Along this reading the NAS's (there are quite a few, and some confusing ones too:
)

the BDP now plays all files in my iTunes collection, even all the movies. Had a few live dvd's ripped to it, and the BDP plays them without effort.

All I can say is: Great! Thanks!
Will give a more complete test-result after indexing completes.

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:23 pm »
Thanks Marius - now the big question - can you hear a difference with the file played on the attached drive vs the NAS????

james

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:50 pm »
Hi James,

First impression is that QoSound is very fine indeed, to be honest, I can not hear any difference between NAs and Attached. In Mp3 that is, I tried loading my reference Shostakovitch 8, KCO, Haitink on Decca, ripped in Flac, but somehow there are gaps avery few seconds. As if it can't load the files fast enough.....Somehow that is surprising, given the fact that my wired ethernet is a full GB cat 6e network. Maybe the Apple Timemachine isn;t fast enough.

I'll try and play some files of my attached Hdd and let you know how that goes.

1 question for Chris: can I point MAX to a specific folder in the Nas drives? Now it points to their roots, and I have to click my way the music files/folders on that drive.

Marius

btw, the strange "on" listings have disappeared nicely, and now my drives in MAx look like this, just as they should:

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Marius - now the big question - can you hear a difference with the file played on the attached drive vs the NAS????

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:42 pm »
Hi James,

First impression is that QoSound is very fine indeed, to be honest, I can not hear any difference between NAs and Attached. In Mp3 that is, I tried loading my reference Shostakovitch 8, KCO, Haitink on Decca, ripped in Flac, but somehow there are gaps avery few seconds. As if it can't load the files fast enough.....Somehow that is surprising, given the fact that my wired ethernet is a full GB cat 6e network. Maybe the Apple Timemachine isn;t fast enough.

1 question for Chris: can I point MAX to a specific folder in the Nas drives? Now it points to their roots, and I have to click my way the music files/folders on that drive.

Marius

btw, the strange "on" listings have disappeared nicely, and now my drives in MAx look like this, just as they should:

I have the QNAP NAS at home an no issues with 192/24 and the Apple Time Capsule at work and no problem.

The 'strange' listing will disappear once all is loaded usually.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:07 pm »
Hi Marius,

One of the final features for the NAS setup will hopefully be a text box that will allow you to specify a sub directory on the NAS to mount.  Hope fully will have it added sometime next week depending on my work schedule.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:59 pm »
Hi Marius,

One of the final features for the NAS setup will hopefully be a text box that will allow you to specify a sub directory on the NAS to mount.  Hope fully will have it added sometime next week depending on my work schedule.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:06 pm »
Hi James,

Marius

Hi Marius,

I've just finished listening to some 192k flac files on a BDP-1 that are stored on an Apple Time Capsules internal hard drive.  Neither James or I heard any drop outs, now with our apple time capsule it was only the BDP-1 and desktop computer for playback control on the network. The music you are trying to play is it also stored on your Apple Time Capsule Internal Drive or a USB drive attached to the Apple Time Capsule?  How old is your apple time capsule?

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2012, 07:07 am »
Hi Chris
I've got the latest 3tb model . Issue arises both with the TC and with a hdd attached to it.

Might it be the 'green' effect?

Marius

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2012, 02:23 pm »
Hi James, Chris,

Thought to have witnessed it before, but with the latest firmware update it is rather prominent: the BDP1 updates out of itself. And takes a very very long time for it. Ever since I've installed the latest firmware yesterday, it is updating.... Update 3 right now. 1 and 2 were understandable, because the BDP! had to load some new files, and after the update, 2 new drives. But this number 3 is not clear, other than when the BDP1 would update automatically somehow.

Any thoughts?

Marius

Marius

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2012, 08:36 pm »
james, Chris,

After two days of updating (...) it seems to be working perfectly right now! Had the BDP1 automatically do 5 updates, I still don;t fully comprehend, but just played 192/24 Linn downloads without a glitch! :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you for this. Glad we pressed you a little for NAS support. Glad you took the hint.  :D

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm »
james, Chris,

After two days of updating (...) it seems to be working perfectly right now! Had the BDP1 automatically do 5 updates, I still don;t fully comprehend, but just played 192/24 Linn downloads without a glitch! :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you for this. Glad we pressed you a little for NAS support. Glad you took the hint.  :D

Marius

Chris did a terrific job developing this feature  :thumb:

James

mario09

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm »
James, Chris

After a weekend of testing the beta software, I can say:

a) Same audio quality
b) Very quick response time when I choose an album or track
c) Really better interface for the NAS setup than the month of May version :thumb:
d) It took me one hour and 15 minutes to update 29 000 tracks. Slower than a USB HD but the data is going through a network not a USB connection. My former Squeezebox Logitech did the same time
e) As Chris said in an earlier post, a sub folder navigation will be very appreciated.
f) If we have, in a fall release, like a vTuner app to listen Internet radio stations I will be in Heaven! :thumb:

Thank you so much to listen your customers! Keep up the good work!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2012, 01:42 am »
Hi Marius,

What you are describing your earlier messages doesn't seem quite right.  If you don't mind could you log in via ssh and enter the following commands and send me the responses?

df -h
ls -lh /mnt/img
ls -lh /live/image
cat /prov/mounts

Chris

Btw, glad everything is finally working

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul 2012, 01:49 am »
Hi Mario,

A Internet radio station interface is in the works, but the big hang up is a two part.  One, finding a partner Of sorts to provide a list.  Although if memory serves correctly I think that one might have been taken care of (I vagley remembering Marius mentioning a service which looked very promising) and the second being its not a very high priority.  The NAS feature got priority due to expressed interest in the ability in the European market.

Chris

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2012, 07:23 am »
Please check your mailbox.

Marius

ps Chris, asked for a selective update before, but with the updating times on the Nas now, this is all the more on the wish list. Hope you can do it. Add the universal Vtuner support Mario asks about, like I did before, and you would really make the BDP1 the ultimate digital player. A tremendous job indeed!

Hi Marius,

What you are describing your earlier messages doesn't seem quite right.  If you don't mind could you log in via ssh and enter the following commands and send me the responses?

df -h
ls -lh /mnt/img
ls -lh /live/image
cat /prov/mounts

Chris

Btw, glad everything is finally working

Vipers

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2012, 02:43 pm »
Hey guys,

Just been catching up on this thread, this really is excellent news, I didn't think this would be possible really when the BDP-1 was first launched, but if it can stream from a NAS drive it then puts the BDP-1 right at the top of all the streamers available, it's sound quality has never been an issue but when we get people into our store they seem to struggle with what the BDP-1 is, obviously I put them right, whereas they seem to understand the thinking behind Linn and Naim streamers, so this functionality will be great when it comes to demo's.

As previously mentioned full internet radio will be the icing on the cake, vTuner is very good, also Linn and Sonos use TuneIn which is also very good, spend most of the time at the moment listening to 4U Classic Rock at the moment, great station.