MMDCI with Odyssey Stratos extreme...and with Plinius SA-102

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
I have been an owner of these speakers for the past 4 years. Bought the tweeter xover upgrade and installed it myself. Also replaced the binding posts with Cardas. The tweeter upgrade really made a difference. The BP's, not that much, but it really looks better.

First with the Plinius:
A friend is selling this amp which is 125w/c in stereo mode Class A, so  had nothing to loose to try it.

I have read in this forum about the unsuitability of many SS amps with these speakers. Well, let me tell you, this combination trounces my tube amplifier in terms of transparency and inner detail, and of course, dynamics and bass control. You can hear everything that is going on more clearly. The only drawback is that is lacks a little bit of energy in the top, kind of polite if this is the right term.. some might refer to this characteristic as refinement.  So here is an SS amp that does not interact with any high frequency nastiness with the MMDCI, to my ears at least, in the contrary, some might say that it lacks highs.

Stratos Extreme:
I had been considering the Stratos Odyssey Stereo Extreme for these speakers. being kind of a direct product of the Symphonic Line RG 11and  having heard this amp a few years ago with other speakers.

I kind hoped it might work fine with the DC's. So, is there anyone who has actually auditioned the Stratos stereo extreme with the DC's after the long break-in period?

PD I could buy the SA-102, but it is too big and heavy and priced out of my range.. thanks

kwl

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 07:39 pm »
As far as solid-state goes, Plinius is as good as I have found.  The Plinius 9200 has the general characteristics you describe for the SA-102 and is considerably more affordable, particularly used.

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 09:06 pm »
Plinius is the best SS I have heard with the MMDCI.

Michael