moon I 5 with mm de cappo i's

biglebowski

« on: 22 Mar 2005, 04:56 am »
anyone have any comments on compatability of the ss integrated amp Moon I 5 with the MM de cappo i speakers?

panderso

« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2005, 07:22 pm »
I've heard the amp, and its cousin the I-3, but with other speakers, B&Ws and Vienna Acoustics.  I think the SimAudios excellent, high value candidates for de Capos or Dulcets.  I note that the recent review/award in Hi-Fi + (issue 36) suggested the I-3 as an ideal partner for the Dulcets, suggesting either the I-5 or I-3 is well worth a try with De Capos.  Let us know how it goes....Happy hunting!

kwl

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2005, 10:40 pm »
I have tested the I-3, owned the I-5 and currently own the Plinius 9200.  The I-5 isn't a bad match to the DeCapoi's.  However, I found the Plinius 9200 to be a much better match (fuller/more body, smooth but detailed).  As others have commented, there is something special with tubes (high quality) in the chain somewhere.  Perhaps the best integrated I have heard with the DeCapoi's is the Audiomat Prelude Reference.  Unfortunately, I couldn't integrate it with my home theater (volume resets to 0 on start-up) or my budget.