Favorite Low Watt Speakers (pictures welcomed)

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Favorite Low Watt Speakers (pictures welcomed)
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jul 2013, 04:45 am »

Vapor Audio Nimbus

15" Acoustic Elegance TD15H, dual Wavecor 6" paper cone mids, RAAL 70-20XR, 92dB/2.83V powered by a pair of 805A 40W SETs.

Full spectrum range from upper 20s to ultrasonic, with mesmerizing transparency and soundstage.

They look cool too . . .

Quiet Earth

« Reply #61 on: 8 Aug 2013, 02:27 am »
Left side of my speaker system... Audio Note E SPe Signature, with crossover and sand inside of the stands.

I really enjoy them.  :D

rodge827

« Reply #62 on: 8 Aug 2013, 02:34 am »
Niiiice!
Very Niiiice!

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« Reply #63 on: 8 Aug 2013, 02:41 am »
My prototype single speaker stereo system with three visaton B200s (and stereo subs that act to reflect side-firing B200s frontwards). So not really a single speaker stereo system at all, but one with no imaging issues.
[/img]

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« Reply #64 on: 8 Aug 2013, 02:43 am »

[/img]

Poultrygeist

« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2013, 07:03 pm »
Lowther Open Baffles

itsparks

« Reply #66 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:15 pm »
Awesome.  How do you describe their sonic signature?
What made you chose those drivers rather than other ones?

Paul NYC

Those look like my Half chili's :) But mine a wee bit bigger. & new addition to the top!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 13 Dec 2013, 05:50 pm »
Latest Omega Super 3XRS with RS5 driver.  This speaker has been on the market for around ten years and has only seen driver changes and minor port tuning changes.  It started out as the Super 3XRS with Fostex driver, then Super 5XRS with HempCone driver, and now the Super 3XRS again with RS5 OmegaCone driver.  All Omega speakers including drivers are made in the U.S.

Any speaker that has been around this long must have a reason for it's longevity on the market.  The reason is: its a giant killer.  I have been in audio for decades and have never heard a better sounding speaker.  One might look at it and say "how can a little 27" tower with a 4.5" driver have you so enthralled?"  Here is the list: Huge 3D focused soundstage - deep and wide, gorgeous tonal balance, electrostatic speed, clear and detailed, believable non bloated bass, PRAT in spades, etc., etc., but these overused audiophile terms don't really describe their sound.  The fact is, they have no sound - they are portals on reality.  They are also happy with virtually any amp type, but my favourite match would be a flea powered SET or SEP tube amp.  At 94.5db efficiency these speakers will run on fumes.

sebrof

« Reply #68 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:30 am »
Lowther Open Baffles

Love that paisley print on the back  :thumb:

sebrof

« Reply #69 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:36 am »
These are about 95 - 97 db my best guess. I drive them with a 3-watt 2A3 SET integrated.
Altec 416 and Heil AMT

Poultrygeist

« Reply #70 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:45 am »
These are about 95 - 97 db my best guess. I drive them with a 3-watt 2A3 SET integrated.
Altec 416 and Heil AMT

I like 'em but wonder how they'd sound standing on end?

Guy 13

« Reply #71 on: 14 Dec 2013, 03:02 am »
Latest Omega Super 3XRS with RS5 driver.  This speaker has been on the market for around ten years and has only seen driver changes and minor port tuning changes.  It started out as the Super 3XRS with Fostex driver, then Super 5XRS with HempCone driver, and now the Super 3XRS again with RS5 OmegaCone driver.  All Omega speakers including drivers are made in the U.S.

Any speaker that has been around this long must have a reason for it's longevity on the market.  The reason is: its a giant killer.  I have been in audio for decades and have never heard a better sounding speaker.  One might look at it and say "how can a little 27" tower with a 4.5" driver have you so enthralled?"  Here is the list: Huge 3D focused soundstage - deep and wide, gorgeous tonal balance, electrostatic speed, clear and detailed, believable non bloated bass, PRAT in spades, etc., etc., but these overused audiophile terms don't really describe their sound.  The fact is, they have no sound - they are portals on reality.  They are also happy with virtually any amp type, but my favourite match would be a flea powered SET or SEP tube amp.  At 94.5db efficiency these speakers will run on fumes.

Hi Canada Rob and all Audio Circle members.
The OmegaCone driver RS5 is it (Very) different from the Omega 5F at 69 USD/ea. ?
I know Louis would be in a better position to answer my question,
but he's so busy that I can't wait for him to answer me.

Guy 13

sebrof

« Reply #72 on: 14 Dec 2013, 01:56 pm »
I like 'em but wonder how they'd sound standing on end?
I built them so the junction between the woofer/mids and the Heil was at ear level with the feet attached. Then I got new chairs  :|
So now with my taller chair they may be close to the right height on their sides, but the distance between the woofer/mids and the Heils would be too great.

JoshK

« Reply #73 on: 14 Dec 2013, 06:08 pm »
Pete, those are some great looking speakers and amazing looking amps, but 40watt isn't low watts to be fair.  Those speakers aren't really hi-eff either. 

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #74 on: 14 Dec 2013, 06:19 pm »
My 1974 Rosewood behemoths now outfitted with Volti Audio components (thanks to my buddy Greg Roberts!)...

Internally wired with my TWL cryogenically treated (and pre-burned in) 12 AWG wire...

MWalt

« Reply #75 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:25 am »
Hornshoppe Great Heiled Horns

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #76 on: 9 Mar 2014, 09:07 am »
Right now. My Tekton Design Lores.

wes_in_va

« Reply #77 on: 6 Aug 2014, 12:06 am »
Old thread, I know...but I'm loving my Tekton OB 4.5's with Hframes as bass augmentation.

Since this pic was taken I've moved the Tektons onto stands and have the Hframes on the floor just to the sides. Much better presentation.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #78 on: 6 Aug 2014, 12:19 am »
Really nice Wes, but I wish the picture was clearer.

Guy 13

« Reply #79 on: 6 Aug 2014, 07:32 am »
Hi all.
I am sure that most of the AC members have already seen the picture
of my system, since I have posted it so many times.
Well one more time for this topic, won't hurt anyone.
My speakers are are the Omega 7F (OEM) extended range drivers that unfortunately, are not available anymore.
It's a Low Watt Speaker,
because it's 93dB and my Decware SE84C+ (2 wpc) drive them very easily.
Of course the bass section is OBD (Open Baffle Dipole) and the two woofers get help from a GR Research SA-1 250 watts plate amplifier.

Guy 13