Salk Stream Player

Mudslide

Re: Salk Stream Player
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jul 2014, 10:56 pm »
Just placed my order. Can't wait to get it and have my system hooked up.

Will you be my dad (or grandson)?   :lol:

PSB Guy

« Reply #81 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:25 pm »
A (bad) picture of the new Generation II Salkstreamer in my living room system:

Cornelis

SeaNile

« Reply #82 on: 22 Jul 2014, 09:51 pm »
Looks good. What how did you connect? Optical or USB?

Is my thinking correct to use the digital optical out to my Hegel h300?

Austin08

« Reply #83 on: 22 Jul 2014, 10:14 pm »

My Salkstream player. You can use either usb or optical out but only one at a time. If your SSP has build in hd then all you need is transfer all your music files into the SSP hd then download mpad or mdroid for your mobile. Very simple to use.

PSB Guy

« Reply #84 on: 22 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm »
Looks good. What how did you connect? Optical or USB?
Is my thinking correct to use the digital optical out to my Hegel h300?
I'm using the coax S/PDIF connection, I prefer it over optical just because the connection is more secure. My DAC (AVA Vsion EC) does not have USB.

Cornelis

Q3Di

« Reply #85 on: 22 Jul 2014, 10:43 pm »
SSP Gen II. Wow!

Ern Dog

« Reply #86 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:37 am »
How is the SSP different then the SSP 2 ?

Q3Di

« Reply #87 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:42 am »
How is the SSP different then the SSP 2 ?

My understanding is that the original SSP had low power ALIX board with no hard drive. It streams music from NAS. A StreamServer had a built-in hard drive. The new SSP II is based on higher power Intel mainboard and has a built-in hard drive. The new SSP II maybe better for DSD. Software might have improvement too.

SeaNile

« Reply #88 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:04 pm »
I've look for the mPad app to control the Salk StreamPlayer but can't seem to find it.  Can someone send me a link?

Thanks.

John

srb

« Reply #89 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:08 pm »
Googling "mpad app" brings up MPaD on the App Store on iTunes as the 2nd link in the list:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mpad/id423097706?mt=8

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mpad+app

Is this what you're looking for?

Steve

Austin08

« Reply #90 on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm »
John,

If you use iphone then search for mpod in the app store.
If you use ipad then search for mpad in the app store
If you use android mobile device then search for mdroid in the app store.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #91 on: 27 Jul 2014, 04:04 pm »
Is the new Gen2 stream player available now? What's its price? Thx

Austin08

« Reply #92 on: 27 Jul 2014, 04:44 pm »
Is the new Gen2 stream player available now? What's its price? Thx

Yes....it is a great streamer. Jim has done and ship out several player in the last couple weeks.  Very easy to use and death quite. Price is depend on what option you want. Jim will give you more detail on that.

monte

« Reply #93 on: 30 Jul 2014, 03:21 pm »
Hi guys, when I was at the CAF, Jim was playing songs from his tablet.Question is, how and where do you download all those songs and when using the salkstream what other components do you need?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #94 on: 30 Jul 2014, 04:16 pm »
Hi guys, when I was at the CAF, Jim was playing songs from his tablet.Question is, how and where do you download all those songs and when using the salkstream what other components do you need?

All you need is a player and something to talk to the player, and some kind of hard drive containing the music files.  That HD can be in the player or external, or both.  You could use a computer to control the player but it is ridiculously easy to just use an iPad with the MPAD ap loaded.  The streaner is a music server and it can have the hard drive in it, then use a computer on your network even your laptop to control the music flow.  Very simple. 

Ern Dog

« Reply #95 on: 30 Jul 2014, 04:21 pm »
You definitely need a way to control it and an ipad works best for me, but so will iphone, android, or any computer.  You'll need the app mentioned above.
You'll need a USB dac.
And a wifi router that the stream player can connect to via Ethernet.  The streamer will become a part of your home network.  I use an old Apple airport.

To get music files into the hard drive of the stream player.  I used my MacBook Pro to rip all my CDs into Wav files using XLD app.  I have it configured so that when I insert a cd it automatically rips it into the Stream player.  Since the stream is connected to my network, it shows up as an external drive would, or like using a memory stick would.

SCompRacer

« Reply #96 on: 30 Jul 2014, 05:40 pm »
I use a 10" tablet so I don't have to wear my glasses..... :D You'll love having all your digital music at your fingertips!

PSB Guy

« Reply #97 on: 30 Jul 2014, 06:16 pm »
My Salkstreamer is hooked up to my home network using a Trendnet powerline networking set up. It shows up on my Windows 8.1 laptop as a drive on the network. CDs are ripped directly to the Salkstreamer in uncompressed AIFF format using dbpoweramp. It's controlled using my HTC One Android phone. Easy as can be, and the sound quality beats the pants off of the wireless Airport Express set up I was using before. I think Jim has a real winner here.

Cornelis

martyo

« Reply #98 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:01 pm »
My Salkstreamer is hooked up to my home network using a Trendnet powerline networking set up. It shows up on my Windows 8.1 laptop as a drive on the network. CDs are ripped directly to the Salkstreamer in uncompressed AIFF format using dbpoweramp. It's controlled using my HTC One Android phone. Easy as can be, and the sound quality beats the pants off of the wireless Airport Express set up I was using before. I think Jim has a real winner here.

Cornelis

Cornelis, looking at your systems page I see you have S/PDIF outputs. Those are a custom option for connecting to your AVA DAC?

Austin08

« Reply #99 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:45 pm »
New Gen2 has both usb and spdif available as standard ouput but only one work as a time.

Edit: spdif optical toslink