Something new that sounds incredible

jparkhur

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #260 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:54 pm »
Why chase the ghost. Just make it out of Baltic and stain it.  Work smarter not harder

baniels

« Reply #261 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:07 pm »
I think the working assumption is that the waveguide portion would be painted, and veneer would be applied to the surface. The wg is a straight 45° without a radius to the baffle surface, so a transition here wouldn't be too difficult.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #262 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:42 pm »
That wave guide is going to make veneering very tough.  I don't know if you could use a softener to get the veneer compliant enough to make that work or not.  Even if you did, the grain patterns would be incredibly tough to get to match.  Maybe a veneering pro will offer up some ideas.

I think the working assumption is that the waveguide portion would be painted, and veneer would be applied to the surface. The wg is a straight 45° without a radius to the baffle surface, so a transition here wouldn't be too difficult.

Yep, my plan is to ebanize the inside of the waveguide and driver cutouts using India ink. Then veneer the rest.  Since it is open I am going to have to veneer both sides of all panels. I'll probably have to do the veneering before glue up at least for the baffle. Which will mean protecting the veneer from glue contact during glule up.

Why chase the ghost. Just make it out of Baltic and stain it.  Work smarter not harder

I found some killer walnut burl veneer I'd like to use on these

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #263 on: 28 Jul 2014, 09:42 pm »
The guide could be painted, and the baffle veneered right up to it's edge.

Oops, already suggested :duh:.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #264 on: 28 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm »
I'm thinking the insides are going to have to be veneered before glue up with the veneer protected from squeeze out by a coat of shellack and/or painter's tape. The shellack protective coat would be sanded back down to bare wood after glue up for finishing.

With the outside corners being rounded over, they will need to be veneered after glue up.

Mike

hifibuff

« Reply #265 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:36 am »
On a slightly different topic, would linning the inside of the wing and base with felt be benificial sonicly. If so, i might just finish the back/inside really simply (nice paint) and then the felt.

baniels

« Reply #266 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:50 am »
ETA for Danny's prototype is tomorrow! I hope everyone's patience will pay off. All the fundamental challenges have been conquered, so minor changes shouldn't add much delay to public availability.

In the meantime, I'm trying to consider the difficulties in gluing this thing up. I have one idea... basically a few clamping supports, that provide parallel edges on the more difficult joints. See the picture below. Red represents the clamping supports... thinking I'd include one or two of each with the kits. The blue lines represent the clamp spans.

The larger L shaped piece could be flipped over and used on the other small wing, and of course both would be usable for the L and R version of the design. Unless I'm overlooking something, the rest of the joints will be 90°. The brace may still need some head scratching, but where's the fun without some of that? ;)

I haven't glued one up yet, so this may evolve with time... I'm sure Danny will have some insight after he puts the first set together.

Feedback... evolution on the idea?

Danny Richie

« Reply #267 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:21 am »
Sounds like a good idea to me.

ebag4

« Reply #268 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:36 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me.
X2

I think you would need a pair of the exterior jig.

If you could post the side panel dimensions I would appreciate it.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2014, 03:41 pm by ebag4 »

baniels

« Reply #269 on: 1 Aug 2014, 04:18 pm »
Side panel is 11.5" deep on the beveled edge, and 20.25" tall. See below.

ebag4

« Reply #270 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:12 pm »
^Thanks Ben!

ebag4

« Reply #271 on: 5 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm »
How are we looking guys?  Do we have an idea of when it will be released?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #272 on: 6 Aug 2014, 02:34 am »
How are we looking guys?  Do we have an idea of when it will be released?

Thanks,
Ed

Flat packs are here. I will start gluing them up tomorrow.

Folsom

« Reply #273 on: 7 Aug 2014, 01:42 am »
For the love of god! I click on this thread everyday to see a picture of a completed speaker but all I get is cad drawings...

Captainhemo

« Reply #274 on: 7 Aug 2014, 01:47 am »
For the love of god! I click on this thread everyday to see a picture of a completed speaker but all I get is cad drawings...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Shouldn't be much lnger, I'd imagine we'll see something any day  now 

-jay

baniels

« Reply #275 on: 7 Aug 2014, 01:51 am »
Slightly better than napkin scratches though, right?

The train is on the rails... Danny has the prototype.

Danny Richie

« Reply #276 on: 7 Aug 2014, 03:17 am »
And all of these parts and pieces look great.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #277 on: 7 Aug 2014, 04:13 am »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Shouldn't be much lnger, I'd imagine we'll see something any day  now 

-jay

I know what everybody means, like waiting on Christmas when you were a kid  :green:

At least I have a little bit to keep me busy. I'm in the middle of building two pairs of X-MTM Encores and three X-CS Encores for an L/C/R setup.  Then I pave a pair of X-Omnis and a couple of dual driver 8" (non-sevo) subs in the wings to build.

But none of those are for me so bring it on, daddy needs a new set of speakers for himself  :drool:. My wife keeps reminding me the N3s are hers and I am welcome to listen to them whenever she is not around  :roll: Hows that for WAF!

Mike

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #278 on: 7 Aug 2014, 05:14 am »
You can barely tell that Ed might be interested..... :wink:

Me too actually....

ebag4

« Reply #279 on: 7 Aug 2014, 04:32 pm »
You can barely tell that Ed might be interested..... :wink:
Who me?  Naaahhh, just curious  :lol:.