Magnepan 3.7i

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepan 3.7i
« Reply #120 on: 12 Mar 2014, 09:50 am »
But of course!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #121 on: 14 Mar 2014, 04:18 am »
Just wondering if anyone is currently using the Maraschino amp to drive 3.7.......

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #122 on: 14 Mar 2014, 08:59 pm »
I'm sure that somebody is; perhaps they'll pipe up?

The weather is warming up some so I'll have to take a little motorcycle trip and see what the deal is with these suckers.
No, not to Area 51 the secret location of the Magnepan factory which is NOT in China.  It's located somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle which is a real torture test for the adhesives.
Instead, I'll run down to Maryland or Delaware and see if I can't hear some side by side with the plain old versions.

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
« Reply #123 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:55 pm »
Anyone heard the 3.7i, or even better compared them side by side with the 3.7?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #124 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:24 pm »
So far, the mysterious 3.7i is only rumor, innuendo and pure speculation on the part of this thread.  :thumb:

Of course, I could be wrong.  :oops:

Gene

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #125 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:58 pm »
It's my understanding that all of the 3.7s made in the past few months are the 3.7i's (the speaker from an alternate universe).

Has anyone here done an A/B comparison?  I haven't.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #126 on: 26 Mar 2014, 02:33 am »
Do you suppose if you actually bought a new 3.7(i) and you were looking at it, would you actually know that it is in fact a 3.7i or would you just have to have faith that it is in all probability a 3.7i even though it doesn't actually have 3.7i actually written on it anywhere, or does it?  :scratch:

Gene

k6davis

« Reply #127 on: 26 Mar 2014, 02:54 am »
Anyone heard the 3.7i, or even better compared them side by side with the 3.7?

I have the 3.7i on order. I'm hoping they arrive this before this weekend. I'm upgrading from the 1.7, so unfortunately, I won't be able to add any insight to how they compare to the 3.7.

I can't believe there hasn't been an formal (let alone informal) comparison written somewhere by now. But then, I guess it's not trivial to have $12k worth of large, heavy speakers around for such a test.

Tuck

« Reply #128 on: 28 Mar 2014, 12:11 am »
I pick up my 3.7i's tomorrow afternoon.     This is going to be an interesting weekend.   Will report back after a initial impressions.  I can only compare them to my older Vandersteen's though

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #129 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:56 pm »
I pick up my 3.7i's tomorrow afternoon.     This is going to be an interesting weekend.   Will report back after a initial impressions.  I can only compare them to my older Vandersteen's though

Outstanding!

Be sure to let us know if you can tell if they are 3.7i's or you just have to take their word.  :green:

Gene

Tuck

« Reply #130 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:00 pm »
OK
I picked them up on Friday Afternoon.   Right before the earthquake in LA/La Habra...   Got out of town just in time.

Yes they are 3.7i's.   Both the shipping box and the instructions indicate just that.   Now that you mention it though, I need to look at the label on the back of the speakers just to satisfy my curiosity.    That said, not knowing much about the 3.7s' my first impression is that the 3.7i's sound more open than the demo units in the store.   Of course, my environment is different than the store's with hardwood floors versus carpet.   In addition, my listening room is more or less shaped like an auditorium which has both good and bad points.    I do have substantial furniture and wall hangings so that do soak up some of the sound but overall they seem a bit brighter.   The bottom line is I feel there is enough of a difference between the store and my home that for me to make a comparison between the two would just not have an value.     Now if someone wants to loan me a set of 3.7's I wouldn't mind in the least.

For what it is worth, the speakers at the store did not have the resistor installed and after several hours of listening I didn't think they needed it.    I have not installed the resister at home but may do so in the not to distant future as I do feel there are a bit bright.    As it is, right now I am just trying to establish a base line.   Once I am comfortable with their sound, I will begin to experiment.   Without a doubt they blow away my older Vanderteen's and for the first time I actually felt as I was in the presence of the artists or instruments.   

From what I can see, any changes that have been made would be internal....    As I experience more, I will let you all know.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #131 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:28 pm »
I find the 'Al Sekela's RF choke' tweak instead of a tweeter resistor is better. Over on Audio Asylum Al posted using a small RF choke in the tweeter attenuation position. I bought some and yes I like it better than the resistor.
Much discussion over there about it. You can search by RF or choke or his name.
I have them in my 3.6s

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 1 Apr 2014, 12:36 am »
Congratulations!
We like pictures, you know...

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #133 on: 1 Apr 2014, 01:53 am »
You might wish to use resistors on the ribbons and the midranges during break-in. When the bass starts taking over the show, remove them and decide whether or not you need to pad the ribbon. Enjoy your new speakers. :thumb: I sure wish I knew what was improved about your 3.7s (compared to mine (but, mine aren't stock :wink:)).

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #135 on: 1 Apr 2014, 09:24 pm »

It looks kinda like they padded the back of the midrange. ?? What do you guys think?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:55 am »
From the photo that looks an awful lot like the same stuff that's on the side of the ribbon, doesn't it?

berni

« Reply #137 on: 2 Apr 2014, 05:48 am »
Some sort of strut support for the plate?
Touch it and tell more.

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #138 on: 2 Apr 2014, 10:56 am »
That part of the speaker is very weak and a support is greatly needed.

sparky62

« Reply #139 on: 3 Apr 2014, 02:28 am »
In the photo of the rear 3.7i, the padding seems to go the whole length on the diaphragm.  My 3.6 midrange does not extend the full length of the bass panel.  Does the 3.7 extend top to bottom?

If the review was sworn to secrecy (with his words) maybe he is trying to tell us something with pictures.  What do you think?

Jim