Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2011, 03:32 pm »
We are in the SF Bay Area in California!  You are welcome if you can make it.

Oh! That's a bit far, but BIG thanks for the invite!

Sonny

« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:49 pm »
Oh! That's a bit far, but BIG thanks for the invite!

Hop on a plane!   :thumb:

watercourse

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:51 pm »
It's for sure warmer here  :green:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #43 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:39 am »
Some interesting discussion going on here.  Hope you all don't mind if I sit back and watch unless there's a direct question for me...
-Tommy

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #44 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:44 am »
Tommy- Did you see the post about maybe making little integrated or small power amp, call it the--"Maraschino"!!!
 Thoughts??? Howdy neighbor!!!
 Ed

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #45 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm »
I saw a Cherry Amp on Audigon ! I wonder how old it is and if its stock. I did send a question but have not got a reply.

Harrison

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:31 pm »
I saw a Cherry Amp on Audigon ! I wonder how old it is and if its stock. I did send a question but have not got a reply.

Harrison

Harrison,

Are you referring to the amp with the 1800w transformer mod?  If so, it's nearly new, and has never been shipped.  We no longer have the amp that was used in the Affordable Audio review.  If you have more questions, please email directly to Support@DigitalAmp.com.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #47 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:44 pm »
Tommy- Did you see the post about maybe making little integrated or small power amp, call it the--"Maraschino"!!!
 Thoughts??? Howdy neighbor!!!
 Ed

Ed,

We're working on it.  When are you visiting?  Send me a PM...

-Tommy

doug067

« Reply #48 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:48 am »
Hope you all don't mind. I'll be watching in. Hope to hear more.
I too, am building some LS-6's and am looking for amp/amps to power them.
Ran accross Dac Cherry's by accident 15min ago.  Think I was looking at ava insight+ reveiws.
Are they all that??

mojave

« Reply #49 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:24 pm »
Hope you all don't mind. I'll be watching in. Hope to hear more.
I too, am building some LS-6's and am looking for amp/amps to power them.
Ran accross Dac Cherry's by accident 15min ago.  Think I was looking at ava insight+ reveiws.
Are they all that??
I received my No Rez last week so I hope to start soon on putting together my LS-6's. I'll let you know how they sound with my Cherry Jr. when I'm done. I don't know if you've read it yet, but the September 2010 edition of Affordable Audio had a review. I went from an Outlaw 7100 to the Cherry Jr. and it was like upgrading the speakers. The bass control and definition is one thing I really like.

doug067

« Reply #50 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:16 am »
Very good. Have not started my ls-6's yet. Probably in the spring or summer. They are bare. I'll need to do the no-rez too. Looking for a report/tips. Was considering the tiles and foam that Danny had mentioned. Cheaper
I have an emo. xpa-2. Will be looking for more power in the $1500 to $2500 range. Emo has xpa-1 mono blocks around this. Was looking the tube route but, good power seems to cost.
The Cherry's look and reveiw very well. Very interested. Have to study up.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #51 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:22 am »
i already wrote the comparison with this amp i bought http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61729.msg554302#msg554302
i end up selling the spectron amp a couple week later.i compare them when i have both amps on hand .i prefer the DAC 4800a.i sold the 4800a when i upgrade to cherry plus,Now i just aquired a cherry stereo and a cherry mono block for my home theater.Love it.:)

lapsan

Hey, I bought the DAC 4800a from lapsan and holy smokes, does this thing rock.  Effortless power, yet smooth smooth smooth.  I can only imagine what improvements the Cherry series brings.  Went to a live show last night, rocking the album at home right now...it's not funny how much better my system sounds better than the "live."

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #52 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:22 am »
Hey Doug, did you finish your LS-6 speakers?  I am interested in your impressions of the LS-6 with the Cherry amp.

FYI, I built out a pair last December and am getting a Cherry Plus amp in a few days.  Can't wait!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #53 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:38 pm »
Hey Doug, did you finish your LS-6 speakers?  I am interested in your impressions of the LS-6 with the Cherry amp.

FYI, I built out a pair last December and am getting a Cherry Plus amp in a few days.  Can't wait!
Well?  Any time with your Cherry PLUS yet?

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #54 on: 16 Jan 2012, 12:01 am »
Tommy, so far so good.  One reason I bought this amp was to see how much I could improve a speaker that I haven't really been able to dial in (Selah Audio RC-5G).  I've been glacial with equipment upgrades and springing for the Cherry Plus was the next step in getting much better gear to feed the RC-5Gs and GR Research LS-6 speakers since I own both.  I am operating on the assumption that the Selah's need better/cleaner power and source material to fly.

I haven't been able to do much serious listening or A/B testing yet since I just got this amp about 3 days ago.  So for now and of most interest to me is how much can I improve the sound of my Selah RC-5Gs?  I can tell you that from what I've heard so far on the Selahs I have heard improved clarity, improved bass control, and a very slightly sweet presentation which may be that tube characteristic that people applaud the Cherry for.  The Cherry Plus is definitely more refined although I haven't heard a dramatic change in any one area.  More like several small and medium changes that culminate to a much better sound.  As I started to listen to music with the Cherry and I started to relax a bit more with the new sound of the amp and liked what I heard. 

Keep in mind these are my initial impressions and I'm waiting for my system to settle down and really listen to the Cherry when I know everything is in place.  I am concurrently inserting some new power cables, tubes for my TADAC DAC, getting a modified Hi-Face with USB power regenerator, and converting from Windows 7 to Mac for my music server.  Not all have been implemented yet.  I can tell you that switching to the Mac and adding the Cherry have definitely made for a better listening experience with the RC-5Gs and this is very important.  I'll try to give updates after I've spent more time with the amp.

Rob S.

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:48 am »
Tcsub:  what preamp are you running in your system?

Rob S.

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #56 on: 16 Jan 2012, 02:04 pm »
Rob S., using a 2009 TADAC with volume control (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TADAC.html).  I bought this because I wanted to bypass a preamp, have a hybrid DAC, and have XLR out.  I also just upgraded the stock tubes on this to 5814 RCA blackplate tubes.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #57 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm »
I bought the reveiwers sample of the Cherry Jr. to go with my LS6's.   I think it has a few upgrades on board.  The amp is mated with the Dodd gen2 battery preamp. 

The amp sounds wonderful with the LS6.  I have turned it up past 11.  Never had a problem at threshold of pain listening levels.  There are some incredible ways that the Cherry handles the LS bass.  Mids great highs great.  I'll need to do somemore room treatments before I give my final report. My forcast is that the LS6 should have got the biggest powersupply that DAC can offer for the very best in performance. 

Ultra Monos!  I'm not bashing the Cherry.  I don't think I could have done better for the money.  I just need more money.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #58 on: 20 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm »
Interesting thread, getting lots of traffic (started last week, getting close to 3000 views):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131727.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical