60V Maraschino Power Supplies are IN !!!!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
60V Maraschino Power Supplies are IN !!!!
« on: 9 Mar 2014, 05:46 pm »
Testing began this morning.   So far, so good....

RCduck7

Re: 60V Maraschino Power Supplies are IN !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2014, 06:02 pm »
Great! Let us know when you have any more info on these. And how will these drive 2 channels as you mentioned?? Any pics are welcome. Cheers!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2014, 10:25 am »
For starters, above 400W into 4 ohms....

Comfortably getting above 200W into 8 ohms....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2014, 10:31 am »
Great! Let us know when you have any more info on these. And how will these drive 2 channels as you mentioned?? Any pics are welcome. Cheers!

No photos just yet, but there will be two connectors for DC out on each supply.  You can use one or both.  Thanks.

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:37 am »
So what's the practical difference if powering one amp vs. 2?

Will one amp get more power if dedicated to a single 60V supply? Or will each of two amps get as much power as the single amp would?

Does that make sense?

I guess I'm asking if the two power supply channels are completely independent or can they gang up to increase power if only 1 amp is hooked up.

Thanks

-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2014, 04:10 am »

Will one amp get more power if dedicated to a single 60V supply? Or will each of two amps get as much power as the single amp would?

Does that make sense?

I guess I'm asking if the two power supply channels are completely independent or can they gang up to increase power if only 1 amp is hooked up.

Thanks

-Mike

There is a single power supply in the box with two "DC outlets".  This 1kW power supply may seem like overkill, but we like that.  :)

With a single power supply per channel, you can get clean peaks of 800Wpc into 2 ohms (great for ESLs).  Channel separation is inherently perfect with a power supply per channel.  It's also easier to position the equipment this way and get the amps closer to the speakers.

We want to provide a few "standard configurations" while allowing customization for individual customer needs/desires.

Here are the options we want to provide initially:
1. Base type: Granite, Marble, Aluminum (no sonic difference between base types, prices TBD)
2. Red or Black top (no difference in price)
3. WBT or Dayton posts (WBT is an upgrade)

We are thinking of selling the power supplies separately, but:
4. One or two power supplies per pair of amps
5. 48V or 60V supply (48V gets you a discount)

For those who have already purchased Maraschino amps with the 48V power supply, we will have an easy upgrade program.

Thanks for your kind post.

mamba315

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2014, 06:25 am »
So one 60V PS would give the same power as two into 4 and 8 ohm loads?  It is only into 2 ohm loads that you would get increased power with two 60V's?

munosmario

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2014, 02:51 pm »

Does that make sense?

Thanks

-Mike

Hi, Mike. Simple answer is that if you use a single power supply to feed two Maraschino bodies, via the two DC outlets in that one power supply, technically, you don't have any longer two mono-blocks...but a stereo amp with the electronics for each of the two channels being physically separated, while fed by a common power supply. You still can put each of the channel bodies near the corresponding speaker but you will be needing long umbilical DC cables out of the common power supply. Obviously, power rating with the single power supply stereo arrangement will be different (less) than with a true mono-block arrangement using two separate power supplies. As you know, rated power would be pretty much the same in the two arrangements if the power for the stereo arrangement is measured with only one channel being driven, as opposed to the "two-channel driven" standard (difference in power between one-channel and two-channel driven power is one of the advantages of vertical over horizontal bi-amping using two identical stereo amps, besides maximizing channel separation).

In the good old days of the DAC 4800A amp (in his Face Book pages, I believe), Tommy used to provide a link to a rather comprehensive addendum with full specs (table and charts) that included info about both one-channel and two-channel driven power ratings--continuous watts (RMS) not just peak (dynamic)--for 8 and 4 ohms, as well as the corresponding ratings for "bridged" mono operation. Current info with what appears to be emphasis on just peak power at 2 ohm, IMO, is not all that meaningful. It would be great if Tommy could provide that type of comprehensive addendum (table & charts) now that he introduced this type of "disembodied-stereo amp" Maraschino configuration, using a single 60V power supply up grade (of course, including in the exercise a side by side comparison, as applicable, using the smaller computer grade standard power supply).

Cheers.................Mario
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2014, 07:25 pm by munosmario »

munosmario

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:00 pm »

[Deleted double posting]
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2014, 07:15 pm by munosmario »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2014, 07:12 pm »
Hi, Mike. Simple answer is that if you use a single power supply to feed two Maraschino bodies, via the two DC outlets in that one power supply, technically, you don't have any longer two mono-blocks...but a stereo amp with the electronics for each of the two channels being physically separated, while fed by a common power supply. You still can put each of the channel bodies near the corresponding speaker but you will be needing long umbilical DC cables out of the common power supply. Obviously, power rating with the single power supply stereo arrangement will be different (less) than with a true mono-block arrangement using two separate power supplies. As you know, rated power would be pretty much the same in the two arrangements if the power for the stereo arrangement is measured with only one channel being driven, as opposed to the "two-channel driven" standard (difference in power between one-channel and two-channel driven power is one of the advantages of vertical over horizontal bi-amping using two identical stereo amps, besides maximizing channel separation).

In the good old days of the DAC 4800A amp (in his Face Book pages, I believe), Tommy used to provide a link to a rather comprehensive addendum with full specs (table and charts) that included info about both one-channel and two-channel driven power ratings--continuous watts (RMS) not just peak (dynamic)--for 8 and 4 ohms, as well as the corresponding ratings for "bridged" mono operation. Current info with what appears to be emphasis on just peak power at 2 ohm, IMO, is not all that meaningful. It would be great if Tommy could provide that type of comprehensive addendum (table & charts) now that he introduced this type of "disembodied-stereo amp" Maraschino configuration, using a single 60V power supply up grade (of course, including in the exercise a side by side comparison, as applicable, using the smaller computer grade standard power supply).

Cheers.................Mario
Mario,
This is all on the way.  Putting together the new web page for Maraschino at the moment.  You are correct about the power output as well as the true "dual mono" operation of separate power supplies.  Good response and well done!
We're also considering pre-orders for all-out Maraschinos with one 1kW power supply per channel to help us fund this project and make it happen faster.
-Tommy O

RCduck7

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2014, 02:20 pm »
Would it be safe to drive 2 standmount speakers from one Maraschino mono amp with the 60V power suply?
It may sound strange to do this but the reason i want to this, is that i'm building a 5 channel setup with the 5 Maraschino mono's i have but i have no center channel speaker.
Instead of buying a new center speaker i would like to use 2 of my standmount speakers.
They would be laying on their side with their tweeters next to each other and the mid/bas driver on the outer sides.
Since i have enough speakers from the same brand i would prefer this setup.
Speakers in question are a pair of Hyperionsound HWS-586 speakers that are 6ohms and 89db for center duty.
Al other Hyperion speakers in the 5 channel setup will have their own mono and power suply of coursse.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2014, 12:00 pm »
Would it be safe to drive 2 standmount speakers from one Maraschino mono amp with the 60V power suply?
It may sound strange to do this but the reason i want to this, is that i'm building a 5 channel setup with the 5 Maraschino mono's i have but i have no center channel speaker.
Instead of buying a new center speaker i would like to use 2 of my standmount speakers.
They would be laying on their side with their tweeters next to each other and the mid/bas driver on the outer sides.
Since i have enough speakers from the same brand i would prefer this setup.
Speakers in question are a pair of Hyperionsound HWS-586 speakers that are 6ohms and 89db for center duty.
Al other Hyperion speakers in the 5 channel setup will have their own mono and power suply of coursse.
Just realized your post was not answered yet......  Yes, you can use the Maraschino to drive two speakers at once.  Thanks.

RCduck7

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2014, 10:26 pm »
Thanks!  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:41 pm »
For your viewing pleasure:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:45 pm »
There is a single power supply in the box with two "DC outlets".  This 1kW power supply may seem like overkill, but we like that.  :)

With a single power supply per channel, you can get clean peaks of 800Wpc into 2 ohms (great for ESLs).  Channel separation is inherently perfect with a power supply per channel.  It's also easier to position the equipment this way and get the amps closer to the speakers.

We want to provide a few "standard configurations" while allowing customization for individual customer needs/desires.

Here are the options we want to provide initially:
1. Base type: Granite, Marble, Aluminum (no sonic difference between base types, prices TBD)
2. Red or Black top (no difference in price)
3. WBT or Dayton posts (WBT is an upgrade)

We are thinking of selling the power supplies separately, but:
4. One or two power supplies per pair of amps
5. 48V or 60V supply (48V gets you a discount)

For those who have already purchased Maraschino amps with the 48V power supply, we will have an easy upgrade program.

Thanks for your kind post.
To clear up options and pricing:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126213.msg1331329#msg1331329