Warpspeed Optocoupler

InfernoSTi

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #160 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:36 am »
My Warpspeed is being used with a lightly modified Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET amp...a very nice combo!  I am driving a set of OB speakers with the bass being driven by plate amps coming off the crossover.  I have two parallel outputs and will try driving the bass directly off the Warpspeed someday.   :thumb:

John

ejfud

« Reply #161 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:29 pm »
I ran the touring model with a pair of single-ended el84 mono blocks with great results. Was a truly transparent combination.

johnnycopy

« Reply #162 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:34 pm »
My Warpspeed is being used with a lightly modified Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET amp...a very nice combo!  I am driving a set of OB speakers with the bass being driven by plate amps coming off the crossover.  I have two parallel outputs and will try driving the bass directly off the Warpspeed someday.   :thumb:

John

Are you running the plate amps from the speaker outputs of the SET?

Thanks John

Rclark

« Reply #163 on: 15 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm »

Just reconfirming...

I hadn't been able to use my Warpspeed for about two weeks because my battery/charger system had failed and I just had no time to take care of it. Bought the batteries and charger from users here on AC.

So back today with new batteries and a voltmeter, everything's running fine, looks like my batteries were bad...

And re-inserting the Warpspeed into the system and turning it on... an explosion of clarity and full spectrum improvement, just like I heard when I first tried it. Wow!

So far I keep hitting it out the park with my gear choices. This is a crucial piece in my system. Everyone should try the Warpspeed. It's amazing.

Rclark

« Reply #164 on: 15 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm »

John

I'm driving my sub directly off the WS and I can assure you the improvement is pretty cool. Tightens it up nicely.

Rclark

« Reply #165 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm »
 Questions about batteries!

Ok, so my charger is working and I have two brand new AGM batteries that are taking and holding charge well.

1) So the little 9V battery pack that was sent on the tour is surprisingly still running. However, when I got my initial pair of 12volt SLA's... they didn't last more than a couple days each.. I figured it was my charger, but it ended up the batteries. Not sure what happened there, don't think they were new.

But now I have a pair of new AGM 12 volt 1.3ah batteries and my charger is the CTEK 800. Anyway, the first question is... when should I charge?

I know the battery is supposed to last a long time, at least the little tour 9V Duracell battery pack sure did, or is but not sure if these rechargeables have the same staying power.

Currently the one I'm using now is reading 12.54 volts (got a meter too). Is there a certain voltage I'm supposed to check for for when to start recharging? And how many hours should I expect on the WS before I do so?

2) My CTEK also has the optional ringlet eyelet adapters so I can "supposedly" keep the battery on constant charge, while I'm using it. But there is no way to have those attached AND have the battery connected to the WS at the same time. Unless there's some kind of trick to it? Every time I try placing the eyelets around the battery + and - and then try attaching the leads to the WS, it all falls apart, they don't fit well together. Am I supposed to bend something or force them together? I don't want to break anything, but it seems impossible to keep that all attached, it all falls apart if you barely touch it set up that way. Doesn't seem safe at all. How are you guys doing it?

...Had my stereo playing all night, Hell of a good sound, the WS makes such an improvement  :thumb:

InfernoSTi

« Reply #166 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:48 am »
Are you running the plate amps from the speaker outputs of the SET?

Thanks John

John,

I'm running the two Rythmik's off the crossover (low pass on the crossover that goes to the mid-woofers and parallel line level to the plate amps in stereo).  I haven't even wanted to try out the RCA connection direct from the Warpspeed yet...it sounds great as is but I'm wanting to hear a comparison, just not had time to play with it (I'd rather listen that fuss right now).

John

InfernoSTi

« Reply #167 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:58 am »
I'm driving my sub directly off the WS and I can assure you the improvement is pretty cool. Tightens it up nicely.

I will take a listen that way soon.  I have had a few tube amps that fell short on bass but my parafeed 2A3 is great with bass, as are my very nice crossovers (uses very high end parts: alpha core and Mundorf silver/oil).  I will take a listen and hope it is even better because that would be GREAT! 

But now I have a pair of new AGM 12 volt 1.3ah batteries and my charger is the CTEK 800. Anyway, the first question is... when should I charge?

Sorry, I don't know but I'm interested in the answer (i.e. minimum voltage for quality operation).  However, I'm using a Panasonic SLA 12v 7.2aH battery and I'm thinking this will run a very long time between charges!  Here is what I got and now all I need to do is build a little box to cover it...should be a fun/easy project! 

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-LC-R127R2P1-battery-lead-acid/dp/B0002ILJX2/ref%3dsr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318202010&sr=8-2

Like you, I'm loving my WS with every album I've tried!

John

johnnycopy

« Reply #168 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:28 am »
John,

I'm running the two Rythmik's off the crossover (low pass on the crossover that goes to the mid-woofers and parallel line level to the plate amps in stereo).  I haven't even wanted to try out the RCA connection direct from the Warpspeed yet...it sounds great as is but I'm wanting to hear a comparison, just not had time to play with it (I'd rather listen that fuss right now).

John

Makes sense, so in this way you are not passing through any high frequency stuff to the plate amps that way. Cool.

I have tried both:
1) direct from the CARINA speaker outputs to the plate amps, and
2) from the Warpspeed RCA out to the RCA in's of the Rythmik's. 

I can't say I actually notice a big difference. The CARINA is great on bass as well, so this may be part of it.

When I had first upgraded to the 2 Rythmik plate amps, I was having trouble getting enough gain running off of the CARINA. I then doubled up the wires from each CARINA speaker output to the plate amps. This way each plate amp gets 4 wires coming into it (2 positive and 2 negative). These doubled up wires cured the gain issue. 

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #169 on: 20 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm »
Thank you to all the Warpspeed users who are sharing their experiences here...please keep it up!

I would like to share pics of the very first V8.2 Balanced with separate L/R volume controls:

Happy owner is most welcome to chime in...

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #170 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm »
That's a beauty!  :thumb:

InfernoSTi

« Reply #171 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:51 am »
Rclark,

Just reread the thread and found the answer to your question: you replace when the voltage drops to 6V (see WarpspeedCE's answer, below).

John

You need a DC voltmeter to measure voltage on one of the batteries...replace when at 6V or so. All 4 are in parallel so will measure all the same.
Aaah-hem...

Questions about batteries!

Ok, so my charger is working and I have two brand new AGM batteries that are taking and holding charge well.

1) So the little 9V battery pack that was sent on the tour is surprisingly still running. However, when I got my initial pair of 12volt SLA's... they didn't last more than a couple days each.. I figured it was my charger, but it ended up the batteries. Not sure what happened there, don't think they were new.

I know the battery is supposed to last a long time, at least the little tour 9V Duracell battery pack sure did, or is but not sure if these rechargeables have the same staying power.

Currently the one I'm using now is reading 12.54 volts (got a meter too). Is there a certain voltage I'm supposed to check for for when to start recharging? And how many hours should I expect on the WS before I do so?

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #172 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:42 am »
Thanks John...

Rclark and I have been on pm and for the benefit of others here's my reply:

"A topped off battery usually drains faster then levels at a certain voltage...my alkalines have been hovering at 11.55V for a month now after starting at 12.11V and almost 9 months now into use.

You can even go lower to 6V before charging...very low current demand.

I have only tested with 6V without any objective difference on performance. I have not listened using a 6V supply so I don't have a subjective opinion if that's what you're asking...it will still work though."

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #173 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:24 pm »
You can even go lower to 6V before charging...very low current demand.

So, what is the preferred or optimum voltage to use with the WS?

Regarding that 9V battery pack, are you using one 9V at a time?  The traveling WS battery pack reads 9.55 volts.  Sorry, just a little confused about that.

Thanks!

Rclark

« Reply #174 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:56 pm »
If this is the case and I can let it go to 6V, then I expect the one battery to last ages before recharging. Meanwhile I'm going to still try and figure out how I can connect the charger and battery and WS so I can just leave it on 24/7. So far there's no easy way to do this with the adapters I have.

Either way I'm set. I always have one fresh battery ready to go. But I don't expect to need it for some time now.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #175 on: 21 Nov 2011, 08:01 pm »
I use 12V to calibrate the 'Squid. It will work between 6V thru 24V...objective performance doesn't matter with any battery supply value as the 'Squid will regulate it -convenience and availability will probably drive a user's decision more on what value to use.

A fresh battery will always read higher but depending on the load it will discharge faster until it plateaus to a certain level where it will remain for quite a while. 9.55V was the initial battery voltage reading of the 9V 4x in parallel on the Neutrino.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #176 on: 21 Nov 2011, 09:41 pm »
A topped off battery usually drains faster then levels at a certain voltage...my alkalines have been hovering at 11.55V for a month now after starting at 12.11V and almost 9 months now into use.

OK, I think I understand now.  Four 9V alkalines wired in parallel = 9V or a little more.  Wow, this thing must only sip on the current.

Thanks for the explanation.  :D

Rclark

« Reply #177 on: 21 Nov 2011, 09:47 pm »
It really does.

I mean I ... got my time in  :lol: and I was the first guy. I easily put 50 hours on in in those 7 days. and it's still going strong on the tour.

But I'm also a battery noob so now at least I have parameters to use with my own setup.

gooberdude

« Reply #178 on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:07 am »
I've had a built version for about a month & still don't have a battery pack. I'm running a single 9V at a time.

I've replaced the battery 1x, had many hours on it. 

wilsynet

« Reply #179 on: 22 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
If I'm reading this correctly: take a 9V battery, get a snap on connector, hook the cable assembly that comes with the pre-built unit onto the two leads of the 9V snap on connector, and you're in business.  If you want to run in parallel, that's pretty easy too.

Do I have it right?  I should have paid more attention in my Grade 9 electronics class.