Tell me about your Phono Unit/Cartridge, please!

33na3rd

Tell me about your Phono Unit/Cartridge, please!
« on: 10 Nov 2014, 01:21 am »
Hi Folks,

After deciding to commit myself to a Tortuga LDR based system, I've been investigating moderately priced phono units. It occurs to me that finding a phono unit up to the task is doable, but I may have to abandon low output moving coils.

I thought I might make things easier on myself and ask fellow Tortuga owners what phono units & cartridges they have had a success with?

Thank you!

sfox7076

Re: Tell me about your Phono Unit/Cartridge, please!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2014, 11:25 am »
Ortofon 2m black with musical surroundings Nova.  Also use the Vista from here. 

33na3rd

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2014, 10:34 pm »
Ortofon 2m black with musical surroundings Nova.  Also use the Vista from here.

Thank you for the reply!

I found a site that has different tables & conversions, that are helping me to get my head around the db to volts thing.
      http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-amplification.htm

Both your units look like they can easily handle any cartridge, except perhaps for the very lowest of moving coils.

The Vista site is very informative, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I still have a soft spot for the Denon DL-103, but so far only the Jolida JD-9 appears to have enough juice to handle it with ease. From what I've read folks either love or hate the Jolida, and those that love it have modified it considerably.

Thanks again for the info, both those units look interesting!

33na3rd

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2015, 07:35 pm »
I found an Avid Pellar locally, and it turns out that it works very well with my LDRx and Denon DL-103.

The Pellar has gain choices of 48, 60, and 70dB. I was able to run my DL-103 directly into the Pellar without my step up transformer and still had plenty of gain to spare!

I did end up using my SUT with the Pellar at 48 dB. This sounds nicer than running the Pellar at 70dB, to my ears.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2015, 10:59 pm by 33na3rd »

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2015, 04:48 pm »
Soundsmith/Denon 103-Ruby OC/CL with high compliance suspension system. I am using a K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage which is designed and built by Kevin Carter, formerly of VAC. This combination works extremely well with an LDR.

Shakey

33na3rd

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2015, 06:14 pm »
Soundsmith/Denon 103-Ruby OC/CL with high compliance suspension system. I am using a K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage which is designed and built by Kevin Carter, formerly of VAC. This combination works extremely well with an LDR.

Shakey

That sounds like a very interesting combination!

jtsnead

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:04 am »
I will be using a Dynavector 20xl2 low output to a Bobs step up to a LKV Phono 2-SB mm input, the balanced version of the Tortuga

33na3rd

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:52 am »
I will be using a Dynavector 20xl2 low output to a Bobs step up to a LKV Phono 2-SB mm input, the balanced version of the Tortuga

Nice!