The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

dmccombs

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #920 on: 1 Aug 2012, 08:06 pm »
Mink,

The Tranquility sounds like what you are looking for.  It is a fantastic NOS Dac that has a wonderful analog sound to it.  There is good detail, open highs, good midrange, and a solid bass.

As others can attest to, Eric is terrific to work with.  You end up with a terrific DAC and great service.

wilsynet

« Reply #921 on: 1 Aug 2012, 08:24 pm »
Both the Tranquility and the Red Wine Audio Isabellina are more what you're looking for.  Although I think the the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC also fits the bill, albeit at a higher price.

bhobba

« Reply #922 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:25 am »
Yes the Tranquility would definitely be worth considering.  Avail yourself of the free trial and check it out.

Thanks
Bill

ctviggen

« Reply #923 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:05 am »
Yes the Tranquility would definitely be worth considering.  Avail yourself of the free trial and check it out.

Thanks
Bill

Or just buy this one for 1/3 the cost of new:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106939.0

RyanT67

« Reply #924 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:41 pm »
Hi folks. 

I recently decided to get into the whole DAC game and after reading this thread I picked up a Tranquility SE.  I have enjoyed a noticeable jump in sound quality, free from that digital graininess that I was accustomed to hearing when I previously ran a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable from my computer to my integrated amplifier.  The highs have lost a touch of edginess, and the soundstage is much for discernable. 

Question though:  I have noticed that using the USB DAC has given me a large drop in volume, to such an extent that at my regular listening level I will get about half the volume via USB that I get via the 3.5mm connector.  Is this typical?  Or is there potentially an issue with the DAC or my computer itself? 

This is problematic since my integrated amplifier now needs to be set close to maximum volume to be at my regular listening level, which isn't ideal. 

I am running Windows 8, and I have the volume on the USB DAC configuration set to 100%.   

wilsynet

« Reply #925 on: 2 Jan 2013, 07:50 am »
I assume you have volume for iTunes (or whatever you're using) set to maximum.

Anyway, is the problem that you can't get the stereo as loud as you want or is it that you're uncomfortable the volume knob is set so high?  If the latter, what's the harm?

Strange though.  Tranquility DAC has 2V maximum?  Input sensitivity of your amp should be 2V or less.  If it isn't, there's your problem.

roscoeiii

« Reply #926 on: 2 Jan 2013, 12:52 pm »
The Tranquility actually has an output of over 2v so it shouldn't be a problem.

RyanT67

« Reply #927 on: 2 Jan 2013, 09:11 pm »
I assume you have volume for iTunes (or whatever you're using) set to maximum.

Anyway, is the problem that you can't get the stereo as loud as you want or is it that you're uncomfortable the volume knob is set so high?  If the latter, what's the harm?

Strange though.  Tranquility DAC has 2V maximum?  Input sensitivity of your amp should be 2V or less.  If it isn't, there's your problem.

Thanks for the reply. 

Itunes and Foobar2000 both have the volume set to max at all times, as is the system volume. 

I have compared running the 3.5mm/rca from my computers audio out to the amp with running the tranquility - same volume level and input on my amplifier (YBA Passion Integre).  I played the same song, recorded the dB meter results and took the average reading for the song as played. 

Result:
Computer - 78dB average
Tranquility - 64dB average

For average listening, the volume I can achieve while running the tranquility works.  But when I want to listen a little louder, my amplifier maxes out.  When running my turntable, cd player, or computer otherwise, there is no way I would be able to get near max volume on the amp without damaging my speakers and having the police knocking on my door for multiple noise complaints.   

It's not the amp, since the same problem is exhibited when running through my home theater receiver. 

I have written to Eric at dB Labs and he reckons the unit, which I purchased used, may have been modded be a previous owner and had the output stage stripped.  For a nominal fee he has generously offered to take a look at the unit and upgrade to the latest output stage - an offer I will now take him up on. 

I just wanted to be sure the experience I was having was atypical before committing more money.  Ah well, the risks of buying used, can't win every single time.  At least I paid a good price, so even with repair factored in, I am not losing money.

wilsynet

« Reply #928 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:49 am »
Your experience is not normal.  I have previously owned a Tranquility SE and had no problems at all with volume.

wdmoore451

« Reply #929 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:24 pm »
I have been a Tranquility SE owner for about 2 years now and thought I would share some thoughts on my experiences with the DAC. In short, I have been very happy with the sound and the value of this DAC. I have not heard everything, but I have not heard another DAC that sounds this good.  When implemented properly, the Tranquility is world class  Shortly after receiving the SE, I wrote a review in this thread where I shared my initial thoughts and then a followup after some break in. 

Over the past year, I have made a number of upgrades and tweaks that have improved the sound.  First, I would recommend to all Tranquility owners and follow Eric's recommendations on set up and supporting components.  These include using a Mac Mini as your source, preferably a 2010 or later version with an SSD. Also, purchase an Oyen Drive, Amarra, Pure Music or Audionirvana, and a high quality USB cable. In addition, be sure to go through the list of Mac OS software set up instructions.  These include turning off journaling and making some other changes, all of which make subtle improvements to the sound.

I recently upgraded my Mac Mini from a 2006 to a 2011 version with an SSD.  This made a huge improvement in the overall sound.  The sound was more relaxed, but at the same time the instruments were locked in space and seemed to pop from the background, which was much quieter.  The sound also had more sparkle, for lack of a better word. Cymbals and bells just have much more ring to them. This upgrade made the biggest difference of anything that I have done yet.

I also purchased an Oyen HD. I am not sure why this makes a difference, but it does. I am using Pure Music with memory play, so I don't know why the transfer from the HD would make a difference in the sound, but the improvement, though subtle, was definitely there.

I changed my USB cable to an Audioquest Diamond.  This made improvements almost on part with the change to the 2011 Mini.  The sound was immediately more organic and detailed. 

When I first purchased the Tranquility, I picked up an Ayre QB9 off of ebay to compare the two.  The Tranquility was the clear winner and I resold the Ayre after about a week.  Over the holidays, I went to a local high end audio store where they had the new Audio Research Reference DAC Media Bridge.  This is essentially a Reference 5 Preamp with an upgraded version of the DAC 8. I brought in the Tranquility to compare the two.  The ARC piece sells for 16,000 but this includes a world class preamp section. When comparing the two, I was immediately struck by the fact that the Tranquility sounded more organic. Imaging and the level of detail was comparable in both DAC's. The ARC had the advantage in low end resolution. The bass sounded more detailed and rich through the ARC piece. But the Tranquility had a bit more detail at the high and a more natural sound. To my ear, the Tranquility was the winner, not by much, but still the winner. I  have still not heard another DAC that has quite the mix of organic natural sound combined with spectacular detail that the Tranquility delivers. I am sure that there are others out there, but I would be surprised if they sell for anything close to the ~$2k that Eric charges for a Tranquility.

I just sent the Tranquility off to DBAudio labs to have a series of upgrades done.  This includes among other things, cryo-ing the whole unit and making some modifications to the output section. 

I should have it back in a week or so and will report on the changes that these upgrades make.

borism

« Reply #930 on: 3 Feb 2013, 04:27 pm »
I also have the Tranquility SE for about 2 years now and am happy with it. However, I read about the twin power regulation upgrade by Larry Moore (Ultra-Fi, Dac41) and am wondering if anybody has experience with it. Are Eric's upgrades similar? Is it worth the investment?
Thanks,
Boris

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #931 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:07 pm »
It's too bad, that to optimize the Tranquility DAC, you're required to purchase the Mac Mini and specialized software. By the time you finish tweaking the system you'd have almost 3 grand invested.

wdmoore451

« Reply #932 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:24 pm »
To be fair, the same could be said of any source. Additional tweaking and work to improve the sound is just the nature of high-end audio. The Tranquility sounded absolutely terrific right out of the box running off a MacBook Pro laptop. I would put it up against any sub $5k DAC in that configuration.

But if you want to achieve the sound that the DAC is actually capable of, it is worth another $700 - $800 to do the additional tweaks. I bought the new Mini off Ebay for $450.  I think Pure Music is another $50.  An Oyen HD is about $130. A decent USB cable will cost a $150 or so, though as with any audio cables you can always spend more and achieve even better results. So for $800 + the cost of the Tranquility, you now have a world-class front end and music server.  And you have still spent far less than it would cost to get comparable sound from a competitive product.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #933 on: 4 Feb 2013, 07:51 pm »
  Not if you use Hals music server. The cost is much lower.

charles

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #934 on: 4 Feb 2013, 07:55 pm »
Charles,
My understanding is that the Tranquilty DAC USB port driver is only for MAC.  That is all they supported.

bhobba

« Reply #935 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:52 pm »
It works on any computer - there is even a way to get it working on a SB.  Eric has done extensive tests showing that a Mac Mini is the best source - but others work on it just fine.

Thanks
Bill

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #936 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:56 pm »
Eric has done extensive tests showing that a Mac Mini is the best source - but others work on it just fine.

Thanks
Bill
Where's the data on that?

roscoeiii

« Reply #937 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:57 pm »
Where's the data on that?

Probably somewhere in the previous 46 pages of this thread...

bhobba

« Reply #938 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:12 pm »
Probably somewhere in the previous 46 pages of this thread...

Its probably there if you want to wade through it.  But how I found out about it was to give Eric a ring.

Eric does double blind listening tests on all sorts of things associated with the DAC's - output capacitors - all sorts of stuff.  I believe the Mac Mini was part of those tests.

Thanks
Bill

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #939 on: 5 Feb 2013, 02:17 am »
Hi Guys,

First, I'd like to thank Will for posting his newfound experiences with the Tranquility when stacked up against the Ayre QB-9 and the top Audio Research DAC design. These outcomes always make me a bit giddy and are one of the many reasons I love being in this business!  :green: :green: :green:

Direct answers to recent questions::

- The Tranquility can provide connective playback to most ANY computer model and that includes PC computers too!
The drivers within the Tranquility meet all USB standards and protocols that all computer manufacturers meet for USB standards of connectivity. I think the confusion of the Tranquility being considered "Mac specific" only may be due from my considerable efforts to tell everyone how great the Mac Mini sounds connected to the Tranquility..see next point.

- The Tranquility does not actually "require" the use of a Mac Mini to work correctly. There is just more harmonic detail delivered out of the Mac Mini computer comparably. This is why the Mini is so strongly recommended by me for use with the Tranquility.
Although it is hard for many to fathom, many computers truncate or perhaps, not correctly transfer some of the subtle micro harmonic overtones as compared to the Mac Mini. This differential was discovered in blind listening tests we performed. And, the Mac Mini's potential sonic superiority over other consumer computers extends to many other fine DACs beyond the Tranquility! Finely designed DACs by companies such as Ayre, Berkley, MusicStreamer, PS Audio, Wavelength, Weiss and Empirical Audio were all deemed to sound more liquid, with greater "air" and more "relaxed" in comparatives we performed with a Mini versus other computers. Hence, this is why I naturally recommend the Mac Mini for use with the Tranquility. In a nutshell, the Mac Mini just delivers more, to many a fine DAC, and not just the Tranquility mind you. [/u]

- The cost of a Mac Mini can be very reasonable, especially if you purchase a Mac Mini used.
Quite a few of our customers have picked up an excellent used Mac Mini in the mid $350 range! For what it can bring to an audiophile's sound system sonically, there is very little I know of for that amount of money, in high end audio, that gives you so much for this price! Better depth, much improved liquidity and more air around the performers and the instruments. More "analog character" and "less digital" is the key sonic merit here. Many audiophiles are known to spend many thousands of dollars for these sonic improvements. And in my opinion, digital playback needs all the liquidity, air and depth it can get! Therefore, I have been touting the Mini to my customers as a huge deal for what it can bring to their sound system. Of course,  to hear these major differences, the Mini will need to be connected to a well designed D/A converter with an excellent USB input receiver (the first part of the connecting circuitry in a DAC design). And not all DACs have great receivers. If they do though, the Mini will certainly amaze.

- I am also offering  a very special regulator upgrade with six unique stages of filtration perfected specifically for the Tranquility.
Although I have been a bit too busy in preparing new product launches to make this public,  I think it is time to "officially" announce our very unique six stage regulation upgrade for an introductory price of $179. It took almost 7 months and tons of iterations to fully develop this unique regulator stage! I am also offering multiple level upgrade packages for the Tranquility. Information on these modifications are not currently posted on my website at this moment. For all Tranquility owners that may be interested, please contact me directly for details. I want to keep this review thread from "getting off track" with questions posted about upgrades, mods and such on this review thread.

- The Tranquility typically exceeds most other audiophile DACs with a higher output gain of perhaps 15 to 20% comparably.
- One post here asked about the output of the Tranquility and if it is typical for it to have lower gain. In actuality, the Tranquility offers about 20% higher gain than most typical "audiophile" DACs. As an example of a question I get from more than a few new owners -  "When I hooked up my Tranquility, I found that I had to turn my volume control on my pre-amp to reach the same SPL, as compared to my last DAC? Is everything O.K.?" The answer is: "Yes! The Tranquility offers just a wee bit more gain than many other DACs". And, as a side benefit, the Tranquility's additional output allows slightly better gain when connected directly to an amp (for those systems where the owner eliminates the pre-amp entirely and uses the computer to control volume). Hence, in that connection scheme, your amp may not reach it's full power output comparably with a lower output level DAC.

Thanks to all for their support and very kind words. I look forward to advancing the entire computer audio solution to new sonic heights with many new exciting offerings that I have yet to announce...hint,hint  :thumb:

Happy Listening to all!   Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs   www.dbaudiolabs.com
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2013, 07:16 pm by db audio labs »