Tranquility DAC's unbelievable new output stage!!!

pinon

Tranquility DAC's unbelievable new output stage!!!
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:21 pm »
Hey Folks,

Having been a long reader here, this is my first post. And I feel grossly slack in the lateness of my input. After my months of experience with Eric Hider at DbAudioLabs, and the unbelievable sound of my upgraded Tranquility, I have to speak up.

My system is the amazing Decware Torii MkIII, unbelievable Turning Point HR-One hybrid radial/front driver speakers, cables from DbAudio, Reality, PI, Cryoparts, VHaudio, MAC, and Decware, a PI Uberbox, other power treatments from Alan Maher and Kemp, a bunch of room treatments, and so on. My most recent front end of which I was/am very happy is a tricked out 2011 Mac Mini, MusicFidelity V-Link in front of a Decware ZDAC and finally a Decware ZSTAGE (a 0-5 volt, very transparent tube gain stage, for which riding the volume with the Torii volume is a great tool for adding or subtracting weight and body according to recording weaknesses).

After reading up on the Tranquility DAC, I called Eric Hider and he had an open box on hand. We talked a long time and I realized I agreed pretty much entirely with his way of thinking and analyzing gear. Creativity at the core, and thinking outside the box, a mandatory tool, and all tested by double blind listening. I liked this having been an artist my whole life and realizing that common trend thought can often be an impediment to real and important innovation. So the DAC not being Async or up-sampling did not really worry me, especially after hearing about the many tests and comparisons that came to finalizing the use of this NOS chip.

So I got the open box in a few days and the testing began. The Tranquility definitely won in micro detail and micro dynamics, but it was missing something in the body, depth and nuance compared to the ZDAC/ZSTAGE that was at times disconcerting. And at the same time, it at times lacked a little authenticity to me. Like I was listening to a very, very smart DAC that lacked a touch of heart. Luckily this could be mostly averted by tube and cable rolling and minor speaker placement tweaks, but it kept getting to me in a small way, though I could not take it out of the loop.

I loved the beautiful representation of ambience close and far, inner detail (bringing out many subtle colors and textures that give an instrument its individual character) along with the very detailed, yet liquid mids and highs. But a "lost in the music" part still remained slightly lacking with some recordings.

After my many talks with Eric and tweaks, this just did not make sense. And it did not fit with the work and ideas that went into the DAC, or with my sense of DbAudioLabs very articulate awareness of sound qualities. What was wrong here, was it just taste? Was the DAC development method just to smart? Or was it inside the DAC!

Then I rolled some caps on my tweeters and inadvertently I was reminded of the "cap sound." I opened the Tranquility, and voila...there were two big and beautiful V-Caps in there. I called Eric, and said I thought it sounded like caps, and wondered if some synergy had been lost with these excellent caps as opposed to the stock ones which had been carefully chosen from within the total of the matrix of the DAC for "no sound"..."to get out of the way." He said he had forgotten that this DAC was a special order with V-Caps, and could not say if this was my issue, but had me mail it back to him so he could do direct comparisons. Not surprisingly, he too found the DAC "off" and asked if he could put in stock caps, and put in a new output stage he was close to deciding on implementing as stock. I of course agreed.

Having been over a week since I had heard the DAC, I could not make accurate comparisons, but even with a new output stage and new caps, it was a totally enjoyable DAC...no more reservations. It had a subtly natural sound like I had never heard in my system. The very refined spectrum of detail from micro-micro, to macro, was so complete that I could hear all the textures of the instruments and voices. I love the sound of bow hair on gut strings, and the multitude of minute vibrations of wood as the strings cause it to sing....the back wood of a bass as it fills the room and passes through my walls. Or the damp reeds of a sax and the inner timber from the core of the brass as it vibrates. And the sound of a piano string from pad hit to the upward and sideways projections was simply unbelievable (though drums and piano are really special with my HR-ONEs, a characteristic of the design).

And nuance...it is all there in such a natural way that it almost sounded unspectacular. Just plain real.

I am sure it could somehow sound even better, but for me, now, my system is complete. I am content to get lost in the sense of the players in the room, a totally saturated, wide and deep sound stage....though one without any pressing nature...the placement of the players is so natural due to very articulate near ambience, as well as the wider decay as it passed through the walls and ceiling. In fact, eyes closed, I have no walls...just a beautiful representation of players in a space created by my system, not the house.

So thank you very much Eric for your efforts and for all the generous and excellent advice you have offered to help me reach my goal of "no system" just and enthralling and intimate relationship to music! And teh style of music has no effect. It all works....electronic, rock, single player Bach, small Jazz  groups.....whatever. Another amazing aspect of this output stage is how well it differentiates complex music without anything being in your face. A great accomplishment to be sure!

I am so happy to have found Decware, DbAudioLabs, PI, Reality, VHaudio, HerbiesAudiolabs, Cryoparts and all the beautiful folks who found ways to make a living by helping us music freaks to have an impeccable musical experience in our own houses! What a wonder that is! And of course, I can't separate the Tranquility DAC from this grouping of great gear in the synergy that creates this awesome system, but it is a great DAC for me!

bhobba

Re: Tranquility DAC's unbelievable new output stage!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:52 am »
Thanks for the great write up.  My Tranquillity is being upgraded as well and can't wait until it arrives back to hear how it sounds.

Thanks
Bill

pinon

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:22 am »
Thank you also Bill. Your early interest and work at sorting out sound descriptions of the Tranquility definitely contributed to my interest in the DAC. If I recall, you have a Signature. If the new outputs are anything like the ones in my Tranquility, I would be very surprised if you are not very pleased. I look forward to your response after some burnin!

As this DAC continues to refine itself with use, and I adjust to how best to synergistically use it, it gets a bit odd to me. Part of what makes this DAC spectacular is that it is so unspectacular, if you know what I mean. At least in my system, it just brings out all the minuscule cues and details with such grace, subtlety and naturalness that it sounds like it is not there! I think this is the best compliment I could give a DAC.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:01 am »
Pinon, do you know what's been done to the new output stage?  I went to their website and I find no mention of a new output stage.  I have the Signature.  It is a very good DAC.  I had to spend close to $6k to find a significantly better DAC.

juanitox

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:38 pm »
i am also interested by the tranquility dac but what a confusion right now :duh:

so we have a normal tranquility , a tranquility SE , a tranquility SE with upgraded output stage , a comming HI-rez tranquility, and a comming Spdif tranquility ...

i 'm not " tranquil" at all for choosing one  :o

pinon

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm »
Dracule, Yes, the action seems to be word of mouth, the website does not even talk about the high res unit does it?

This has been several months ago for me, so is a bit fuzzy, but my impression then was that the Db guys need for the best sound was just as "up" then as ever, always messing around to look for new improvements. I never asked exactly what was up in the excitement of the moment. But if I recall correctly Eric's method was asking various trusted audio heads to help him find ways to improve the DAC, and their was one who came up with this particular winner! Something like that. It was brand new then, and I think Eric was sort of using me as an early tester as his excitement was quite up, and we seemed to easily sync on what we were hearing and not hearing from the DAC.

I'd say call him up and ask about it for your DAC. I did have the caps changed (the excellent V-caps for some reason not suiting the DAC) along with the new output stage, but Eric was convinced that the majority of what I was hearing was the output stage. So if your DAC competes w/ 6K units now.......and the Signature upgrades are anything like mine, I'd call and check them out!!!

Juanitox,

I believe there is a Tranquility, a Signature and a High-res Tranquility, but you have to call Eric to verify.. I have not spoken with him in a few months.

They are all base variations of Tranquility units, and presumably all new ones have whatever upgrades have been arrived at since the original units, like my output stage. But that stage was not in the matrix of knowledge when my DAC was built. I believe DbAudiolabs designed the DACs so that they could continue to improve them if and when they arrived at improved solutions. Mine is the base Tranquility and I love it, though I have not had a chance to compare the Signature or High-res.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2012, 07:22 pm »
Thanks Pinon.  I have the Signature with tin foil V-Cap.  Eric told me for some reason the copper V-Cap didn't sound good with his DAC.  For clarification, I did not say my Tranquility competes with my $6k DAC...it doesn't, but I had to spend 3x as much to get  something significantly better.

pinon

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm »
Dracule,

Thanks for the clarification on the DACs. I am not sure which V-caps were in mine. I just never looked. But maybe they were the copper ones. Anyway, for me they didn't work.

Another couple of points are relevant I think to my experience and sound that i should bring up. Like a lot of folks here have noticed, the more revealing the gear gets, the more everything little thing matters in pretty audible ways. This is definitely the case with my Tranquility.

I did trick out my Mac Mini using Eric's advice and discoveries; I use the DbAudioLabs Essential USB cable (more lucid, open, and fresh sounding than my previous Starlight with the Tranquility); I use PI audio's Tranquility power cable with Furtech ends (very synergistic, enhancing the best qualities of the tranquility); I use Reality ICs (also very synergistic and particularly fast and solid with the Tranquility). My favorite feet for the Tranquility are small lihua wood feet from partsconnexion (soft feet like Herbies tenderfeet just didn't do it...they sounded soft, but these particular hardwood feet sound nicely organic but clear); and finally, under the Mini, the best feet for me were BDR MK4 from Musicdirect seated point down into those little silver speaker spike seats on spruce wood blocks...3 of them, evenly distributed under the inner edge of the plastic cover plate on the bottom of the Mini. Then a couple pounds of weight on the Mini (a flat rock on a soft cloth positioned in the rear two-thirds of the Mini top really brought a nice focus and body to the sound.) And I use Oyen mini firewire drives for the error corrected, uncompressed AIFF files, limiting internal drive use and separating the music drive from the DAC used USB buss.

Then there is software, my favorite being either Puremusic with dithering, sound shaping and surgical Low cut EQ, or Audirvana Pro depending on the tubes I am using.

I go on like this because, for me, it all matters in notable ways, and my Tranquility observations are based in my excellent other gear and room, but also in the above ways of implementing the Tranquility.

Also, to illustrate the reality of the costs of this amazing front end, my $1000 open box Tranquility was finally part of a 33 or 3400 front end when all was said and done, including cables, computer, software, keyboard, mouse, monitor, external drives, feet and all.... But it does kick ass! It truly sounds like players in a very good room.

All parts were bought on trial, and I gladly kept them all, many from Eric's well researched pointers! This to me was very important. I learned that my tastes were very close to Eric's and therefore I could listen carefully to his opinions about how to arrive at relatively low cost world class sound without reservation! I know I am not the first to say this in these forums, but I think Eric is one of the special ones out there...intelligent, open-minded, explorative, creative, driven with a thirst for affordable excellence, and with very good ears. I really appreciate that!

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2012, 07:20 pm »
Pinon, you might want to the AQVOX USB power supply:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97076.0

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:38 pm »
Pinon,

Nice system. Interesting thread.

I too have a Decware Torii Mk III. Speakers are Danny's very fine Super V's. Allnic L3000 for preamp duties and an Oppo BDP-95. We seem to have visited similar outfits for parts too.

Danny seems to love the Tranquility gear. A friend with a Torii just procured one as well. There seems to be something going on here  :scratch:

Oddly enough too, my Torii has the V-caps stuffed inside. And right now it sounds miserable. Last night it sounded so good, I lit a candle. I guess the first question I didn't see asked was, "how many hours do/did you have on the V-Caps?" Every post I've EVER read says it takes at least 500 to 1000 hours for them to sound glorious and before that, you'll want to sell whatever you own that has them. So I'm being patient - sort of. I have just 42 hours on them right now.

I have to admit too. I'm confused by all the models including the DAC 41 which came from the DB-Lab home?

Anyone hear a NAD M51?

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:03 am »
Pinon,

Oddly enough too, my Torii has the V-caps stuffed inside. And right now it sounds miserable. Last night it sounded so good, I lit a candle. I guess the first question I didn't see asked was, "how many hours do/did you have on the V-Caps?" Every post I've EVER read says it takes at least 500 to 1000 hours for them to sound glorious and before that, you'll want to sell whatever you own that has them. So I'm being patient - sort of. I have just 42 hours on them right now.

Yes, what is that saying? Patience is a Virtue?

My Virtue amp had the Dueland Alexander caps stuffed in it. And for about 495 hours, I threatened to use it as a boat anchor. Ycccch!

But surprise, it finally came around.

pinon

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:42 am »
Michael, The word I got about V-caps was that often for a DAC the oil V-caps can be best using the higher end V-Caps for bypasses. But it is all a matter of synergy... seems no doubt that the copper caps could sound great with the right parts combo.

I think my V-caps in the Tranquility had plenty of time on them. I got the DAC open box with unknown previous use, and I liked it using it a lot myself. Definitely more than 500 hours. I do suspect that my situation with the Tranquility was likely the lack of synergy thing. And from what I have heard from Steve Deckert, who's ears and mind I trust, likely you will just have to wait it out 500 or more hours with your Torii. I like the Esoteric Burnin tracks for continuous running while away to help with that less than friendly burnin process. Also, room and tube synergy make a huge difference with the Torii MkIII in my experience.

I have not heard the DAC 41. Does not appear to be a DbAudioLabs offering. I wonder if Larry Moore is on his own now??? I can't say, but a call to Eric Hider at Db would sort it all out quickly. If you have interest in one of their DACs, I have found that Eric is a very informative, helpful, and trustworthy source of information.

It would be interesting to compare the DAC-41 with the Tranquility and Signature equipped with their new output stage.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:04 am »
If this helps, I did actually call Eric at dB a few weeks back.  Reminds me I still need to get back with him to send my DAC out for upgrade. . .

Larry Moore was the (lead?) designer behind the Tranquility NOS DAC.  Eric at db Audio Labs connected with him on it and brought it to market.  The Tranquility SE came later, which was a refinement of the original Tranquility, also a dB Audio Labs product.  Both the Tranquility and Tranquility SE are current dB Audio Labs products, being sold and supported.

Somewhere in there, Eric/dB Audio Labs and Larry Moore parted ways in their business relationship.  Somewhere in that same ether surfaced the DAC-41, which is yet another revision/refinement of Larry's NOS DAC design, this time produced and marketed by Larry directly, with his own spin on changes/modifications/improvements independent of Eric's influence, to produce a product as he sees it best.  Then, most recently from Larry's camp, has come Larry's power supply upgrade/modification which can be applied to the DAC-41, and by extension the Tranquility and Tranquility SE, this upgrade/mod being sold and serviced by Larry directly under his rates/terms/conditions.

On Eric/dB Audio Labs' front, Eric has been working with a new design team on his new hi-rez battery powered DAC (introduced at RMAF in Danny's GR-Research room).  Along the way, as the Tranquility DACs were used as benchmarks in evaluating the new design, Eric's new team has come up with various modifications/upgrades/changes to the Tranquility platform while developing the new hi-rez DAC.  The most universally beneficial of these mods/upgrades is the new output stage this thread is about, available for both the Tranquility and Tranquility SE DACs.  This modification/upgrade is done through dB Audio Labs at their rates/terms/conditions. 

Being completely honest, I can't remember if I asked Eric whether his output stage could be implemented in Larry's DAC-41 or not, so I can't speak on that one.  Lastly, Eric's new hi-rez DAC is still under development, with updates to follow whenever he sees fit as things go forward; I wish I knew more, but I'm just a customer like most the rest of us. . . or for the curious, he is always just a phone call away and always very willing to talk shop.

Hope that clears up the (parallel) product roadmaps.

PMAT

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:27 am »
Wow this thread makes my head hurt. It is the digital equivalent of Fremer touting the virtues of a 50 grand TT. I am old school admittedly. Funny that the hottest goose bump music this month I found was a compressed YOU TUBE presentation of Gov't Mule doing Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS-Wz8SH8Nw Played on my 4th level computer system. System #1 listened in silence. Yes I am old. So back to computer digital mayhem you guys go. I hope it gives you goosebumps.  :D