Tannoy 12" MG enclosure options

SteveRB

Tannoy 12" MG enclosure options
« on: 17 Feb 2014, 07:46 pm »
Hello,

I am looking into a pair of vintage Tannoy Monitor Gold 12".

There does not seem to be a lot of direct reviews or references to enclosures for the 12" version. I know my local tech prefers them to the 15's. But that is just one man's opinion.

Does anyone here have direct experience with the 12's and can suggest an enclosure to get the most out of them...?

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
Re: Tannoy 12" MG enclosure options
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:11 am »
I've owned 12" Royal Blues (HPD equivalent) they are beautiful sounding speakers.

The best place for Tannoy info is this link ( http-//www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm#cabinet )

You will find absolutely everything & anything you want to know about Tannoys on this site.

.......................... Fred Petersen (fastfred)

SteveRB

Re: Tannoy 12" MG enclosure options
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:23 pm »
Thanks, I've been all over those sites.

I recently knocked up a pair of enclosures with a little software help and reference to other DIY designs. It was about 90 litres and tunes to 35hz (give or take).

The results were mixed. The mids and highs were perfect of course but the extended low end had issues. Depending on the music the bass could be tight or reeeealllly bad. Seems like trying to get more than they were designed for has it's limitations...

Next up is going to be a smaller box, based on factory specs. I will be updating the XO with modern spec components.

If anyone gets a chance to pick up a pair -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. They are not for every type of music, but they do sign beautifully with the right material.