Hi!

shsh

Hi!
« on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:16 am »
Hello, I am new to this forum.

Currently I am using RDA S500 with KEF LS50 speakers.
I am planning to switch to active speakers.

Need some recommendations on preamp and active speakers.

Thank you

shsh

Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:24 am »
I used to play alot of head-fi. Currently, I am moving on to hifi, the trading post here focus mainly on hi-fi setups. May I know if I am able to get approval for sending PMs/mails.

Thank you

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:35 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, shsh.  :thumb:

You need a few posts to activate full use of the site.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:42 am »
I used to play alot of head-fi. Currently, I am moving on to hifi, the trading post here focus mainly on hi-fi setups. May I know if I am able to get approval for sending PMs/mails.

Thank you
You need 3 post to send PM.

shsh

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:42 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, shsh.  :thumb:

You need a few posts to activate full use of the site.

Hi Jerry, thanks for the notice! I will take note on this.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:32 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2018, 12:36 pm »
Welcome!

Glad to see another interested in active speakers, with all their inherent advantages.  I have two systems that both run off a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (DAC, preamp, DSP).  One uses a pair of single extended range drivers with small class D mono-blocks (active by default).  The other uses Dynaudio BM5 MkIII 2-way active studio monitors that I picked up two years ago at discontinued discount.

Rather hard to shop for though as nearly all are intended for professional use so audiophile and professional reviewers seldom cross paths.  Professionals look for overall accuracy to the point of being 'dry' which can become fatiguing.  Bottom line - nearly all audiophiles want to be entertained by various exaggerations, so the reviews read differently. 

I'd start with audiostream.com which is a spin off of Stereophile that reviews gear that focused on desktop listening with active monitors.  Soundonsound.com is a good professional source for straight forward reviews of monitors.  After reading enough you'll learn to read between the lines and get an idea of how different brands/models are 'voiced'.

What's your budget?  I've owned the $500 USD Emotiva DC-1 DAC, preamp, headphone amp.  It was OK but the DSPeaker (street price $800) offers better sound but tight space for connections and crappy remote.  Mytek's new $1000 Liberty DAC, preamp, headphone amp looks promising and handles MQA.  The gold standard of these small DAC/preamps is Benchmark (around $2000 depending on version). 

I've heard several active monitors:  KRK, M-Audio, Mackie, Emotiva, and nearly all other inexpensive models don't meet my standards (after 40+ years at this); on the other hand the $300/pair JBL LSR305 does little wrong; I like my Dynaudio monitors; the $1400/pair KH120 are the standard for small 2-way monitors (have not heard them); beyond that there are exotic 2-way designs such as the Munro Egg 150 and 3-way mid-field monitors.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:14 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, shsh.  Have fun in your search.

shsh

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:30 am »
Thanks everyone!

To JLM, my budget is around 4 - 5K USD, i am trying to search for reviews on Genelec but it seems that there is not much reviews lying around.

I do not see many active speakers at this price range. I heard the Manger S1 and is very impressed by it but it is out of my budget for now.

I am currently using Antelop zodiac platinum as my DAC/Preamp. As for the dry sound, I intend to put in warm cables like TWL HP DA to make the sound more musical.