Best powered (computer) speakers for under $150?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Best powered (computer) speakers for under $150?
« on: 16 Oct 2016, 07:33 pm »
Hello, everyone.

My good friend just bought a new PC and asked me to recommend a
Good pair of powered speakers. There is a sound card, but I don't know how good or bad it is. 
This guy is not an audiophile, but does enjoy listening to music.

He actually limited his budget to $100, but can go higher - especially if there's a much better choice for around $150.

Any suggestions?

If you can squeeze a small subwoofer in, go for it!

Thanks,

Michael

ACHiPo

Re: Best powered (computer) speakers for under $150?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2016, 07:52 pm »
Michael,
I was faced with a similar decision when I replaced my desktop.  I ended up buying one JBL LSR308 figuring I really don't need stereo when listening to stuff on my computer.  The sound quality it significantly better than other computer speakers I've heard before.  I paid about $150 for one, but just saw these for $200 for a pair, so you might be able to find one for $100?

https://reverb.com/p/jbl-lsr308-active-monitor?_aid=pla&hfid=2142207&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyozABRDtgPTM0taCrKsBEiQATk6xDq7ubU55UstSWVSXTonZ7BtXJ-33zdqvkBqLahN2i7IaAiDg8P8HAQ

Evan

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2016, 09:31 pm »
- M-Audio AV30/40
- Audioengine models (used) that fit within budget
- Logitech computer speakers (2 satellites on the desk and a sub underneath) - actually fun to jam out to. The benefit of this setup is that it takes up very little space on the desk.

I've used AV30 for a few years and they worked well for the price. The Logitechs were quite fun as well. I would go with Logitech personally as when you jump to the monitors, then you end up having to worry about isolation and/or speaker stands. The Logitech is simple and won't require any further investments. For people that aren't audiophiles, this is the way to go.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2016, 09:49 pm »
Michael,
I was faced with a similar decision when I replaced my desktop.  I ended up buying one JBL LSR308 figuring I really don't need stereo when listening to stuff on my computer.  The sound quality it significantly better than other computer speakers I've heard before.  I paid about $150 for one, but just saw these for $200 for a pair, so you might be able to find one for $100?

https://reverb.com/p/jbl-lsr308-active-monitor?_aid=pla&hfid=2142207&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyozABRDtgPTM0taCrKsBEiQATk6xDq7ubU55UstSWVSXTonZ7BtXJ-33zdqvkBqLahN2i7IaAiDg8P8HAQ

Evan

Strange. When I add it to the cart it shows up as a single speaker for $200.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2016, 10:49 pm »
The 308 is quite large for desktop use.  The smaller/cheaper JBL LSR305 is big enough to fill a small room.  A friend picked up a pair (in red) for $200.  I had them here for a month and really enjoyed them in a near-field setting. 

I've not heard them, but the Audioengine A2+ look good for $250/pair new.  They include a DAC which would be an upgrade from the computer.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2016, 11:12 pm »
I don't think there is anything in the world at the moment that comes close to the value of the JBL LSR305, and I would suggest to a friend that he/she should buy a cheap pair of headphones and save up for those, with the caveat that they should be up off the surface of the desk for proper bass performance.
 I have an orchestral conductor friend who loves good music, yet had suffered for years (without knowing it) with a typical pair of crappy 'computer' speakers and sub. Nasty, cheap, plastic thingies. Finally they bit the dust and he asked me if I had any advice. I was pleased to suggest the then-still-new JBL LSR 305s even though it was a little more than he 'wanted to spend'.

He was absolutely thrilled!!

Realizing what he had been missing, he then was able to talk his wife into spending some more and upgrading his living room system which they both listened to for pleasure.

There is no question that he thinks the 305 were worth the money, every cent, and he will never regret spending it.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2016, 12:30 am »
The 305 are amazing speakers/amps . I purchased a pair for the bedroom tv . I find myself watching more movies in bed than i ever would have expected . Crystal clear non fatiguing dialogue and bass that makes one think a sub is in the room . Watching live,die , repeat is awesome with these speakers ..
Music is excellent as well .I have never heard the Elac speakers everyone is raving about , but i could guess these are in the same league ,with amps included in the price . They are so inviting to listen to its a real treat .

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2016, 12:58 am »
I've heard the Elac B6's a number of times.  They're detailed, accurate, and sprightly.  More delicate but seem to lack almost an octave of bass and mid-bass body compared to the 305's.  Set up is fussy (needing a sub for in-room use) and being passive they benefit from expensive amplification.  Of course on a value and complexity basis there is no comparison to the 305's. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:17 am »
Strange. When I add it to the cart it shows up as a single speaker for $200.
I screwed up.  I meant the LSR 305.