dennis murphy modded pioneer sp22 vs. elac b5/b6

dyfromhawaii

dennis murphy modded pioneer sp22 vs. elac b5/b6
« on: 21 Sep 2016, 08:32 am »
Has anyone any comments if they have heard BOTH?  I tried on AA, but only got comments about hearing one and not the other...

Anyone? I have the modded pioneer sp22 (possibly one of his last ones to make when I got it )

wushuliu

Re: dennis murphy modded pioneer sp22 vs. elac b5/b6
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2016, 12:38 pm »
haven't heard but really doubt the elac would be better since the 22 crossover is custom optimized. the elac ub series however is another story...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:12 pm »
... and the 22 mod includes replacing the tweeter with a better unit.

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2016, 02:23 pm »
I dont design speakers, but i will  say whatever constitutes contributions that end up giving speakers clarity is where ts at..I think thats a big obstacle that doesnt get enough focus.I dont know if thats crossovers,speakrrs operating within thier limits,or what.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2016, 04:43 pm »
I have heard a pair of Modded Pioneers and for a sub $200pr they sound good.  But for anything above that price point I was underwhelmed.  And I heard them with about $5K worth of electronics. My friends Boston Acoutstics CS26's sound better and I suspect that the Elac's will too.  The Elacs will have better bass too, especially the B6's.

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2016, 04:50 pm »
I tried mine against my Wharfedale 7.2, and nothig against Pioneers, but the little Wharfedales just ,well no comparison. Maybe that's to be expected.

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:27 pm »
I tried mine against my Wharfedale 7.2, and nothig against Pioneers, but the little Wharfedales just ,well no comparison. Maybe that's to be expected.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:45 pm »
I have heard a pair of Modded Pioneers and for a sub $200pr they sound good.  But for anything above that price point I was underwhelmed.  And I heard them with about $5K worth of electronics. My friends Boston Acoutstics CS26's sound better and I suspect that the Elac's will too.  The Elacs will have better bass too, especially the B6's.

The Pioneers have only 4in woofers, so no they will not fare as well vs 6.5in.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2016, 11:05 am »
A friend has stock SP22's and B6's.  The SP22 never leave his bedroom (and rarely get used).  The B6's are nice modern (by that I mean sprightly, but bass constipated sounding) monitors.  The SP22 sounded really cheap, like I'd expect from Best Buy for the price (don't understand what others find in them).  Have also heard the entry Philharmonics, out of the box not impressive, had to convince the owner to let them break-in and they did sound better but still nothing remarkable. 

Just so you don't think me a snob, my favorite little speakers are:  Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's ($325/pair, 2-ways, very musical yet nicely detailed with mid-bass body); JBL LSR305's ($300/pair, 2-way actives, nothing to complain about at a killer value); and Dynaudio BM5 Mk III's ($1,400/pair, 2-way actives, as expected superior to the JBL's and makes them seem boring with fuller bass and more detailed highs). 

craigh

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2016, 01:53 pm »
If Dennis Murphy modified them, they will be good.  I have a pair of Dennis Murphy modified AR 3a's.  Of course, your mileage may vary.