Vandersteen 3A Signature Speakers listening impressions...

Mystery

I recently got a pair of Vandersteen 3A signatures.
So far I really like them. They have great highs and mids.
Bass is very good on bass heavy songs but not as much as I expected in other songs.

I'm using pretty entry level sources.
Pre: Harman Kardon Signature AP2500
Amp: Rotel RB-990BX (200 wpc @ 8 ohms)
CD Player: Nakamichi CD changer
Tablet with 1.8mm to RCA cable.
Interconnects are Tributaries and Tara labs prism 22.
Speaker cables are Pro Flex by Proconnect. Planning on bi-wire soon.

I've had many speakers from Advent, JBL, Polk, Infinity, Epicure, Genesis, Yamaha, Boston Klipsch etc...
3A's are definitely among the top but I am expecting much more because from what I read online, 3A's are amazing.

My living room is pretty small, 12.5 x 12.5 ft.
May be they need larger room to really shine or better/alternate setup.

What's your experience?
What should I focus on improving?
Thank you

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: Vandersteen 3A Signature Speakers listening impressions...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2014, 02:09 am »
"What should I focus on improving?"
Many model 3 owners use the 2wQ sub

Mystery

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2014, 03:48 pm »
"What should I focus on improving?"
Many model 3 owners use the 2wQ sub

Thanks for comment.
I'm happy with the bass they have.

One question though, can I use banana plugs by taking out the screws or need to use spades specifically?
I tested and banana fits fine in the hole.  :scratch:

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2014, 05:51 pm »
While a larger room may help them a bit, I would consider a newer digital front end. The Nakamichi changer while good in its day would be embarrassed by some of the newer DAC's and CD players. Some excellent older DAC's are also coming way down in price on the used market. It's a buyers market in high end digital right now as people clamor for "the latest and greatest". Dodson 217 or 218, PS audio Perfect wave DAC Mk II and too many others to name. A great source component really does make a big difference in musical enjoyment.

Mystery

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2014, 06:56 pm »
While a larger room may help them a bit, I would consider a newer digital front end. The Nakamichi changer while good in its day would be embarrassed by some of the newer DAC's and CD players. Some excellent older DAC's are also coming way down in price on the used market. It's a buyers market in high end digital right now as people clamor for "the latest and greatest". Dodson 217 or 218, PS audio Perfect wave DAC Mk II and too many others to name. A great source component really does make a big difference in musical enjoyment.

The room is actually 12.5 x 25 but there is a small arch in the middle to divide dining/living areas.
So one speaker has open side towards the dining area and that makes placement a real challenge.

guest61169

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2014, 07:45 pm »
You might not want to hear this but IMHO your positioning in the room is not ideal.  You should try to achieve a symmetrical positioning with respect to each speaker.  ie. each speaker should be in the same environment and firing across the same environment.  It is hard to fully evaluate from your pic but just having one speaker with wall reinforcement behind it and the other not is enough to mess everything up.   Like racing in mud with a Ferrari.

Also the speakers will sound best if they are pulled out 4 feet or more from the wall behind them (when you eventually find a position with a wall behind both). 

Mystery

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2014, 08:01 pm »
You might not want to hear this but IMHO your positioning in the room is not ideal.  You should try to achieve a symmetrical positioning with respect to each speaker.  ie. each speaker should be in the same environment and firing across the same environment.  It is hard to fully evaluate from your pic but just having one speaker with wall reinforcement behind it and the other not is enough to mess everything up.   Like racing in mud with a Ferrari.

Also the speakers will sound best if they are pulled out 4 feet or more from the wall behind them (when you eventually find a position with a wall behind both).

Yes, the room is really challenging.
There is no way I can pull them 4 feet away from any wall.
I can manage may be up to 1.5 feet otherwise, it'll be in the middle of the room.

I have tried this setup on the opposite wall and that's what I may have to settle for even if it makes the room narrow.

Mystery

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2014, 04:12 pm »
One question though, can I use banana plugs by taking out the screws or need to use spades specifically?
I tested and banana fits fine in the hole.  :scratch:

Got a reply from Vandersteen that it's not good idea to use banana plugs there as it only touches the inner threads of the hole so will have much less contact than using the screw with spade/ring.

BTW, re-arranged the speaker position so now both have open sides but they may be closer than what the need to be.

ratbbb2

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2015, 04:07 pm »
In your case it would be difficult for proper placement.  But when  possible they suggest using them  at equal distances from reflective boundaries and "odd"number distances. Meaning you  get the INCHES  between the walls  and divide them by  3,5,7,9..... then use the best suited distance for your particular needs.  the center of you speaker are 50,30 or 21.4 inches from the outer walls and same goes for the front to rear but more then likely you'll go one step higher with  measurement of 16.66 inches (dived by 9).  If you can manage that and get a pair of subs (i own the older 2w) when the cross over is in  you will be amazed at what you get, we're not talking just bass but rather better articulation from top down as you amp no longer is push to handle any of the lower registry and frees up to do the mids and highs better. I recommend you look for the M5-HP crossover which is for the series 5 speakers and a big leap while still being adjustable so you have more options should you change amp. .  One important thing I over looked is . Does your amp have a pre out power in loop for placement of the cross over?   I'm using Tube gear but have  heard it with the rogue 99 pre and an Onkyo 504 power amp and that sounded great too .

BobRex

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:55 pm »
Got a reply from Vandersteen that it's not good idea to use banana plugs there as it only touches the inner threads of the hole so will have much less contact than using the screw with spade/ring.

BTW, re-arranged the speaker position so now both have open sides but they may be closer than what the need to be.

Don't worry about the speakers being too close to each other - you've still got other overriding issues.  The 3As have a rear facing passive radiator.  If both back walls aren't similar, you will have a permanent lack of tonal balance, such that you will never get even bass output from both channels.  In your case, the right channel will be bass heavy compared to the left.  That will tend to skew the lower range image to the right.