Gift from the Audio God Emerald Physics CS2.3 review

Michaelnelson

have you ever slipped on a jacket that you haven't worn in a while and reached in your pocket and there was some money. It didn't matter if it  was a 100 bucks or a few bucks you felt like you just got a gift.  Well that is what the newCS2.3 is once u listen to these speakers you feel like the audio God has just slipped something in your pocket. I have been an owner of Emerald Physics speakers for years, and have not heard anything better in its price range, or double for that matter. I worked for Dolby Labs, and I have listened to a lot of speakers. What Emerald has done is magical.  I know that they were suppose to be an improvement over the original CS2,but these speakers are not just an improvement they are in another league. I know that no speaker is perfect but, this speaker comes so close to perfection that the big box companies need to go back to the drawing board. I'm surprised they don't offer Clayton a ton of money just to go away.
 I had just set up the speakers and called Emerald Physics to ask a few questions (try that with Wilson.) I had not listened to the CS2.3 because I just sold my Mark Levinson CD Transport, and didn't have a replacement Transport to listen to. But like a kid on Xmas I had to hear them so I plugged my kids Apple TV up, got my iPhone out and pushed play. I couldn't believe my ears. These speakers just transported me to Boston to see Chris Botti perform live. They made a mediocre source sound fantastic. The sound is so good that I am not in a hurry to get a new CD  transport.  I just got word that Clayton is developing his own Computer Audio product, so that is my next purchase. If his speakers can make a $200 Apple TV sound wonderful I'm scared to see what High Res  will sound like. The music just floats in front of you, u cannot only imagine the sound stage but for the first time I  can place the location of the instruments on that stage. And this speaker doesn't just go deep, it has slam the type of bass that u feel in your core, with out feeling boomy and muddy, mind you I was getting this excited listening to an Apple TV.  I know that there are tons of speakers out there, and I was going to tell you if your are looking for a speaker in this price range you should blah blah.  Forget all that if you are in any price range you should buy the CS2.3.
> If u are in Vegas give me a shout so u can have a demo.
> My Gear
> CS2.3
> Modwright preamp
> Halcro amp for low
> First Watt for hi
> Musical Fidelity DAC
> Apple TV

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Gift from the Audio God
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2009, 03:03 pm »
Michael,
You made this comment over at this same thread on CA:
"I am so confident that the CS2 sound that good that I offer a money back guarantee."

Are you a dealer?

Thanks

Michaelnelson

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2009, 03:21 pm »
no I am not.  That thread was for my CS2  that I was selling.  These are a different speaker, it is Sunday so I am just spreading the Audio Gospel.... This is just an effort to tell my story.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2009, 03:48 pm »
Cool.  Welcome to AC.   :thumb:

cloudbaseracer

Re: Gift from the Audio God Emerald Physics CS2.3 review
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2009, 04:18 pm »
Did you buy the CS2.3 site "unheard" and just trade in your CS2's?  Just curious what your upgrade was due to?  I have the CS2 and am intrigued by the thought of better sound than I am currently getting.  I believe my first step will be an update of my current Panasonic XR-700 full digital setup but I appear to be getting sucked into this upgrade game I so wanted to avoid.

If the CS2's were as good as a pair of $20k speakers, does that mean that the CS2.3's are as good as "the best" speakers available? 

Thanks,

James

Michaelnelson

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2009, 04:19 am »
I bought with out ever hearing them.  They are the best thing out there.  Magico sounds darn good I must admit but other than that nothing even comes close.  These are not an upgrade they are a new beast. 

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:57 pm »
Glad to hear you enjoy them so much.  It is just frustrating that EP has only one distributor in all of the US.  I am not sure that that is the smartest business model.

« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2009, 10:06 pm by cloudbaseracer »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:04 am »
I bought with out ever hearing them.  They are the best thing out there.  Magico sounds darn good I must admit but other than that nothing even comes close.  These are not an upgrade they are a new beast.

I know Clayton makes a great speaker (I used to be a dealer and owned a pair)  and I am sure the CS2.3's are a good deal better than the CS2's, but if you want to have credibility, it might be a good idea to tone things down a tad and explain why you think they are so good.  What do they do that other speakers don't do for you?

For example, the speed and clarity of a guitar being strummed through my old CS2's was spooky real and really captured what a guitar should sound like.

Glad you like the CS2's - how about some pics?

George

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:13 am »
Which FirstWatt amp(s) are you using on the HF?

Michaelnelson

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:19 am »
I understand, I wrote what I had to say, getting all into the details is not my thing.  I will leave that to the guys who get paid to use there ears.  I just want people to think out the box and look at other options. 

Michaelnelson

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:19 am »
I am using the F3 for the high end

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:41 am »
I am using the F3 for the high end
Great amplifier.  I have the F4's and an F5 and like them a lot, having used both with my CS2's. 

Just curious, assuming you're using the Behringer DCX, how did you manage to equalize the gain difference of the F3 (+13db) with the Halcro (+30db) on LF?

Michaelnelson

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2009, 02:22 am »
I lowered the low end section on the Behringer and raised the output level across the board

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:49 am »
have you ever slipped on a jacket that you haven't worn in a while and reached in your pocket and there was some money. It didn't matter if it  was a 100 bucks or a few bucks you felt like you just got a gift.  Well that is what the newCS2.3 is once u listen to these speakers you feel like the audio God has just slipped something in your pocket. I have been an owner of Emerald Physics speakers for years, and have not heard anything better in its price range, or double for that matter. I worked for Dolby Labs, and I have listened to a lot of speakers. What Emerald has done is magical.  I know that they were suppose to be an improvement over the original CS2,but these speakers are not just an improvement they are in another league. I know that no speaker is perfect but, this speaker comes so close to perfection that the big box companies need to go back to the drawing board. I'm surprised they don't offer Clayton a ton of money just to go away.
 I had just set up the speakers and called Emerald Physics to ask a few questions (try that with Wilson.) I had not listened to the CS2.3 because I just sold my Mark Levinson CD Transport, and didn't have a replacement Transport to listen to. But like a kid on Xmas I had to hear them so I plugged my kids Apple TV up, got my iPhone out and pushed play. I couldn't believe my ears. These speakers just transported me to Boston to see Chris Botti perform live. They made a mediocre source sound fantastic. The sound is so good that I am not in a hurry to get a new CD  transport.  I just got word that Clayton is developing his own Computer Audio product, so that is my next purchase. If his speakers can make a $200 Apple TV sound wonderful I'm scared to see what High Res  will sound like. The music just floats in front of you, u cannot only imagine the sound stage but for the first time I  can place the location of the instruments on that stage. And this speaker doesn't just go deep, it has slam the type of bass that u feel in your core, with out feeling boomy and muddy, mind you I was getting this excited listening to an Apple TV.  I know that there are tons of speakers out there, and I was going to tell you if your are looking for a speaker in this price range you should blah blah.  Forget all that if you are in any price range you should buy the CS2.3.
> If u are in Vegas give me a shout so u can have a demo.
> My Gear
> CS2.3
> Modwright preamp
> Halcro amp for low
> First Watt for hi
> Musical Fidelity DAC
> Apple TV

Michael,

What parameter are you running on the Behringer?  I am running the 4' scenario on my CS2's even though I am only 3.5 feet out.  I think this gives a little better bass.  I imagine that there are different set-ups between the old 2's and the 2.3? I would guess Clayton had to build a new profile.

James