REVIEW: Hyperion HPS-938

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« on: 27 Oct 2004, 12:38 pm »
Let’s cut to the chase. These are the best pair of speakers I have ever owned or heard in a real world environment. Now for the review.

1984 – I was 17, and it was the year I caught the audiophile fever. I innocently walked into a high-end store in Beverly Hills, CA not realizing what it was. I saw these tall flat panels with cream-colored cloth grill and wood side trim. I thought to myself, “What kinda decorative furniture is this?” Then the music started to play. Wall to wall sound, alive, engrossing. Wow. These are actually speakers! They were the Maggie IIIs in its third incarnation.

But the most memorable speakers I’ve ever come across, until recently, were the original Martin Logan CLS and the Apogee Duetta. It was 1985 at the Stereophile show in Santa Monica, CA where I first heard them. They were the most involving and transparent speakers I’ve ever heard until now. The Duettas were set up by the late Jason Bloom, who was the only one IMHO who knew how to set these speakers up properly. I forget who set up the CLS. They took 2nd and 1st place, respectively, as Best Sound of the Show. The sound was as real as it gets, except for the limited macrodynamics and one note CLS bass that was somewhat ameliorated by Vandersteen Subs.

Over the years, I’ve owned Maggies, Apogees, Mirage M1s, and had various affairs with stats. See a trend here sans M1? I’m a planar guy. I value the best in midrange purity, transparency, coherency, imaging, and staging. But planars always had one major drawback - no chest thumping macrodynamics. In addition, as most of you know, planars are hard to set up. I was never able to set these speakers up properly in my home to their full potential although I enjoyed their sound immensely.

2004 – I am 37 now, and this is the year I caught the music lover fever. I was at the NY Hifi show in April. I had been out of high-end for the past 8 years because of medical school and all, but thought, “What the hell go and have fun at the show.” Never intended on getting into high-end again. No time and limited funds. Then I walked buy the Hyperion room and saw these attractive piano black speakers that looked like Watt Puppies. Never heard the company before. But the music. I was transfixed. The music just flowed, and I couldn’t get myself to leave the room. There was so much else to see at the show, but I was in the room for over an hour. I finally pried myself from the room to listen to other speakers costing up to $50,000. Well, I found myself back in the Hyperion room again listening to the music. Hell, I wasn’t thinking about the usual audiophile crap like imaging, staging, transparency, frequency extension, etc. They were all there with aplomb, but I was just enjoying the incredible music emerging from these speakers. I returned to the Hyperion room five times during the day.

Came home. I WANT THESE SPEAKERS! But my room is small, 15 x 11.5 x 8 feet. I don’t have $4k, let alone money for the electronics and cables. Don’t have the time.

October, 2004 - The Hyperions are in my room. They have been with me for nearly three months. Oh well. Thank the Almighty for credit cards. I’m sure I’ll be cursing myself later.

I was lucky enough to find very high quality affordable electronics from Tube Audio Design TA-30 integrated tube amp (www.2baudio.com), Shengya S10 tube CD player (www.NYSound.com), silver cables and interconnects from Crystal Clear (www.PKMaudio.com). Additional tweaks include cryoed 6522 tube replacement for the stock tube in the Shengya CDP, Magnetic Floater isolation feet for my CDP, acoustic foam treatment for my room, Signal Cable Magic power cords for the integrated amp and CDP, Walker Audio SST silver treatment, Hal-O tube dampeners, and Herbies CD dampening mat.

I’ve had this system for almost 3 months now with about 400 hours of burn-in. I feel it’s about 95% burned in because the sound is still improving but at a much slower rate. I finally feel confident enough to give this speaker a fair review. But be aware these speakers will sound grainy and harsh in the beginning not only due to the speakers themselves but also due to the break-in of all the new electronics and cables upstream. It took well over 250 hours before my system started to integrate and sound right.

I can only come up with superlatives in describing these speakers. Online and magazine reviews of the 938s are finally trickling in, and they are in agreement with my assessment.

Now for the audiophile stuff:

High frequency: The horn loaded silk dome tweeter is smooth, dynamic, and crystal clear. Cymbals have that zing and shimmer I hear in live unamplied jazz music. Bells, well, sound like bells. Hand clapping has that initial slap and trailing cuffing sound I hear in real life. Steel string guitars have that initial sharp, steely attack followed by slow decay. It doesn’t have the extra air found Maggie ribbon tweeters, but I always thought the extra air was in some ways artificial.

Midrange: Oh the beautiful midrange, the stuff that stats are made of. The clarity and transparency of the midrange are on par with the best electrostats out there. Reminds me of the original CLS midrange without the upper midrange glare and brightness. I have heard the new Quad and Innersound electrostats, and they have nothing over the 938s. The bulk of my music is comprised of female vocalists (Norah Jones, Rickie Lee Jones, Eva Cassidy, Natalie Merchant, Sade, etc), and through the 938s these artists come alive in my room. Orchestral strings have that woody resin sound I hear at the Boston Symphony. Sax has that reedy quality I am familiar with – used to play the sax, albeit poorly. Classical guitar, an instrument I still play, has that mellow plucked sound. You get the idea.

Bass: This region is a little difficult to evaluate because of the 60-80 Hz boom in my room and slight bass fullness in my tube integrated amp. I’m still trying to flatten out the room resonance, but I don’t have the finance to purchase additional room treatment. My tube integrated amp has very tight bass for a tube amp, but not as tight as a good solid-state amp. The upper bass above 80 Hz and lower bass 40-60 Hz is fast and tight. Stand up bass is tuneful and has the requisite body I hear in real life, but in some recordings it can get out of hand due to room resonance. One important bass quality of the 938s is “air” in the bass that allows you can get a sense of the volume of the hall the music was recorded in. I don’t know how to better describe this phenomenon. The Apogee Duettas had this quality. The speakers are rated to 30 Hz, but my small room can support that kind of bass. Reviews online and in audiophile mags indicate the 938s are capable of great slam, speed, and near subterranean extension in the bass provided you have enough juice and preferably a solid state amp. Sadly, I can not comment on this. You can’t expect a 30 watt tube integrated to plumb the depths of Mariana Trenches. But I can say at the NY Hifi show, I heard startling dynamics in the bass.

Imaging/Staging: The 938s really shine in this area. Properly set up – about 7 to 8 feet apart, slight toe-in, 3-4 feet from the rear wall – these speakers are capable of astonishing holographic imaging and staging on par with the best planars. Actually, the imaging is better in most cases because of 938s point source dispersion. In my room, I can get wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling, and front to way beyond the rear wall sound if the recording permits. With bad recordings, the soundstage collapses. The 938s appears to be true to the source, unlike some planars that sound big no matter the recording.

Transparency: On par with electrostats. Enough said.

SUMMERY:

I can go on further deconstructing the sound of the 938s but that’s not the point. The most important sound quality of the 938s, in my opinion, is not its parts but its sum. This speaker has the uncanny ability to integrate the all the sound qualities described above into one coherent whole - music. The speaker just makes utterly enjoyable music, the music that grabbed me and had me coming back for more when I first heard them at the show. Who would have thunk it - a speaker so convincing and captivating that converted a die hard planar guy like me. I can’t afford these speakers even at the real world price of $4k, but I bought them anyway. If I were Bill Gates, I would still buy the 938s over the towering, stratospherically $20k+ priced speakers that I only come alive in a dedicated audio room costing tens of thousands of dollars. Yes, the 938s are that good.

The Company: Hyperion. Who is that? They’re a new company from China. I was leery about the stability of this new company given how companies come and go in high end. But this company treats its customers like a Lexus dealer. When I received the 938s, I carefully removed the speakers from their elaborately packaged boxes only to find scratches and chips on the fine piano black finished. Shipping damage? Don’t know. But I contacted Albert Wu and James, the East and West coast representatives of the company, respectively. I sent them photographs of the damage and received prompt apologies and replies telling me they will replace the speakers as soon as the new shipment arrives in the US, shipping to my home included. My new pairs should be arriving in November. In addition, Albert sent me a set of their Magnetic Floater dampening feet ($100) for my troubles. They are great isolation devices and reside under my CDP. These guys are professional, cordial, and very interested in customer feedback on their products. A high end manufacturer like Hyperion is rare.
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm by Dracule1 »

PhilNYC

Re: REVIEW: Hyperion HPS-938
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2004, 12:52 pm »
Quote from: Dracule1
Hyperion. Who is that? They’re a new company from China. ...

FWIW, I think they are a California-based company that has their speakers manufactured in China...

Chris_B

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:30 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the 938s and the VS VR-4Jrs?  I would be very interested in hearing how the two compare.

Very nice review Dracule1.

Chris_B

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:31 pm »
double post.  sorry.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
VS VR-4Jrs vs Hyp 938
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2004, 11:02 pm »
I heard the VS VR-4Jrs at the NY Hifi show along with the 938s.  The VS are very good speakers but still sounded like box speakers to me.  I auditioned both in show conditions so my assessment has some validity.  The 938s transcends its enclosure and plays in the realm of electrostats but with macrodynamics.

Chris_B

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2004, 11:58 pm »
Thanks.

denf

Hyperion loudspeakers
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2004, 02:41 pm »
Hello "Dracule" -- great review.  I, too, am a certified "panel-head", but am intrigued by the HPS938's.

Just curious, I know you mentioned that you have owned many panel type speakers in the past, including M. Logans, but have you heard any of their recent models such as the Prodigy, Odyssey, etc.?  If so, do you still think the Hypers can give these new logans a good run for the money?

(Now on my 5th pair of Logans (Prodigys) I can tell you these last generation stats are FAR superior to M.L.'s earlier designs.)

Thanks again for a great and informative review.

jcoat007

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2004, 03:13 pm »
I have been toying with new speakers for some time and these are definitely on the short list.

Nice review.

Ric Schultz

versus Gallo III
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2004, 08:23 pm »
6moons did a review on the Hyperions and compared them to the Gallos and Avantgarde speakers....he seemed to overall like the less expensive Gallos....and that was stock....wait till you hear the Gallos modded....Oh Boy!  Do a search on Google, it will get you to the review.

kbuzz3

Modded Gallos
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2004, 09:27 pm »
Ric

Whose modding the gallos. Are you?

PS still using your 963 modded player. That strange phillips drawer and transport wont die...lol

Ric Schultz

modded Gallos
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2004, 10:53 am »
Yes, I am working up a mod on them.  I am listening to them right now as I type.   The first incarnation of the mod will be demoed at CES in the Zcable/BPT/Cryotweeks room: room 2203 St. Tropaz.  I will have info on my website after I get this pair back and finish the mod (mid Jan.).  So far, another whole level.....however, I will have to temporarily finish tomorrow and ship....wish they were staying for awhile.  These speakers are special.  I will be getting my own pair soon, as well.  But, they have to have at least 100 hours of loud music on them before they are anywhere near broken in, so I will continue the modding on this pair when they return from CES and then will mod my own pair.....these speakers are going to be my reference speakers for a long time.  

By the way, Mark Hampton (Mr. Zcable) replaced his Martin Logan Prodigys with the Gallos and is really happy he did.  The pair I am modding are his rear channel speakers.

By the way, China is everywhere these days.  Rocket speakers, special cabinets for VMPS speakers, Hyperion, Von Schweikert and yes, even the Gallos are made in China....in fact...if the Gallos were made here they would cost at least twice as much.  The Gallos are nothing like a box speaker....ALL the parts (except screws) are custom made: the main frame is two pieces of Alluminum that are welded together, the mid- range balls and woofer container are stainless steel and the back plate is steel.   All the drivers, crossover parts and wire are custom.  These speakers are extremely dead.  All the different metals are bolted together with damping pads and because there are no large pieces there is very little resonances in the cabinets.  You can tell I am impressed by these things....they are works or art as well.  3 years in the design.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2004, 11:28 am »
That's funny, I thought I was reading a thread about Hyperion speakers.

NealH

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2004, 08:58 pm »
So how much do the modded Galo's cost?  These sound interesting.

Ric Schultz

Happy Holidays
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2004, 08:52 pm »
The mods are still being worked out.  There will be several types of mods (for differenct applications) and several options.  I don't sell the speakers so you would have to ship your speakers here (Northern CA).  I sense the mods will start around $500 but not entirely sure....might be less.  I should have it all worked out by mid Jan. and all info posted on my website.   FYI, there will be no kits.  These speakers are VERY hard to work on and I would not recommend anyone who does not have a lot of tweak savvy to venture in.  Very cramped inside and filled with stockings of shredded poly(patented Gallo S-2 damping material).  I am not saying you could not attempt and complete a mod yourself.....just don't call me with your problems....he he....

Merry Christmas everyone!

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2004, 12:34 am »
Um, could a mod please move this Gallo talk to an appropriate venue.  I opened this to read about Hyperion and am getting inundated about Gallo mods :?:

Michael

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Yes, please move the talk about Gallo mod to another thread.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2004, 01:55 am »
I started this thread about the Hyperions.  I'm sure the Gallos are fine speakers based on my limited audition of them, but I find it distasteful when someone starts to endorse their mod on this thread that has nothing to do with Hypersions.

For those of you wondering why I have not written in awhile,  I have been having too much fun enjoying these speakers.

To the gentleman wondering about how the ML Prodigy compares to the Hyps:

The ML Prodigy will throw a bigger soundstage, though not necessarily a more accurate one.  The Hyps, on the other hand, will have more precise imaging.  The transparency from midrange and up are similar for both speakers although the electrostat treble might be slightly more cleaner but not as dynamic.  The Hyps are more coherent because the bass is naturally integrated with the rest of the frequency.  I've always had a problem with ML woofer integration with the panel.  I also think the woofer on the Hyps are faster and cleaner, but the Prodigy's bass may extend slighty further down.  The Hypes are definately easier to drive.  I have a 30 watt tube integrated driving the Hyps to near ear bleeding levels.  This will never happen with the Prodigys.  Hope this helps.

denf

Hyperion 938
« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2004, 10:15 pm »
Thanks Dracule, for the reply.  It does help! I'll have to try and hunt down a dealer to hear them.

RCduck7

Re: versus Gallo III
« Reply #17 on: 7 Aug 2009, 07:08 pm »
6moons did a review on the Hyperions and compared them to the Gallos and Avantgarde speakers....he seemed to overall like the less expensive Gallos....and that was stock....wait till you hear the Gallos modded....Oh Boy!  Do a search on Google, it will get you to the review.

I just picked up this thread searching for information about Hyperion.
I'm not sure judging from the review the Gallos are substantially prefered over the Hyperions.
It seems Hypirions are overall a touch more laid back at the top end... but it also depends on used gear and cables of coursse.
I read also at 6moons somewhere between the lines that they prefer the Gallos in smaller rooms and with an added sub.
Also, any speaker can be modded if you know what your doing i think, including Hyperions.
One reviewers personal taste was the Audio Physic SLE wit Luna sub but that was about doubble the price of the Hyperions.
And he said it was a very personal taste as he lived with that gear.