Wayne1

Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Level 3 mods: Finished
« on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:21 am »

:wink:
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2011, 10:41 pm by Wayne1 »

Berto

Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Level 3 mods: Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:30 am »
I recognize that superb craftsmanship. How sweet that would look between my Ulysses.  Only imagine how good it will sound :o

Unless I don't know where to look, any details?

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:51 am »
Come by Room 1030 at RMAF in October for the formal unveiling.

There will be an entirely new power supply section and a completely different tube output section.

That is all I'm willing to say for now.

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:54 am »
Thank looks like an EE DAC on roids.   :lol:

Wayne, I hope you have an option in the color of the chassis.  Hint: black chassis.  :thumb:

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:17 am »
If you want an ebony case, I'm sure Lou would be happy to build you one  :lol:

For me, I prefer the look of wood.

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:23 am »
Don't get me wrong, the wood work is gorgeous.  :thumb:

My equipment are all made of aluminum that is why.

mca

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:10 am »
FrankenMax?

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:03 pm »
That's an EE DAC on roids. :lol:

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm »
Did she make her debut?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:11 am »
I bet Wayne's toaster has mods!!!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:41 pm »
  Very very interesting indeed. My Lector CDP is getting old. Time for a new Digital front end. My Nervosa is perking.

charles
SMA

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:31 pm »
The project was delayed by the announcement that EE prefers that I do not offer any mods to the EE DAC PLUS. I did not feel it was worth pursuing without being able to offer it for the new DAC.

Since RMAF I have been convinced to continue with the project. The power supplies and output stage can be used with a different DAC section that I am also exploring. Perhaps a next generation version will be available to listen to and RMAF next year.

The power supply is going beyond just separate transformers for analog and digital. The tube and solid state sections will each have their own transformers. All power lines will be fed through Bybee Music rails and Paul Hynes regulators will be used extensively. Film caps will be used in place of electrolytic caps whenever possible.

I'll try to post some pictures as the project progresses. I hope to have this particular unit finished by Christmas.

Turnandcough

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:49 pm »
At this point, with all the mods being done, wouldn't it be better to build a new DAC from scratch and market it as such.

This would avoid the ''conflict'' with Bill & Alex.

xsb7244

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2011, 05:51 pm »
Yes, we need new DAC from Bolder Cable Company.

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2011, 05:59 pm »
Yes, we need new DAC from Bolder Cable Company.

Such a project is being worked on. It will take some time.

audiogoober

« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2011, 05:41 pm »
The project was delayed by the announcement that EE prefers that I do not offer any mods to the EE DAC PLUS. I did not feel it was worth pursuing without being able to offer it for the new DAC.

Since RMAF I have been convinced to continue with the project. The power supplies and output stage can be used with a different DAC section that I am also exploring. Perhaps a next generation version will be available to listen to and RMAF next year.

The power supply is going beyond just separate transformers for analog and digital. The tube and solid state sections will each have their own transformers. All power lines will be fed through Bybee Music rails and Paul Hynes regulators will be used extensively. Film caps will be used in place of electrolytic caps whenever possible.

I'll try to post some pictures as the project progresses. I hope to have this particular unit finished by Christmas.

Hi Wayne,

Any updates or photos regarding my "dac in the box"?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2012, 11:20 pm by audiogoober »

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2011, 06:43 pm »
The project is finished. I did not have the time to take any photos before shipping it off to Lou Hinkley to put the final finish on the case. I have asked him for a photo or two before he packs it up.

Many mods and variations were pursued and dropped in the production of this unit.

In the end, what I thought gave the best sound was to use a completely separate section to feed the DAC chip. It has it's own transformer, Stealth rectifiers, smoothing caps, pre-regulator, reservoir caps, Bybee Music Rail, Film cap storage and then multiple Paul Hynes regulators on the main circuit board to feed the DAC chip.

The same sort of design was used for the op-amps. Separate transformer, Stealth rectifiers, smoothing caps, then two Paul Hynes Regulators. One each for the positive and negative voltages. Storage caps, film caps and Bybee Music Rails. The op-amps were changed to custom built LME49990 duals for the I/V section and singles for SS output.

The stock transformer was retained to supply AC to the high voltage and filament only. Paul Hynes regulators were used for those voltages. The K&K CCS modules were used to maintain a constant current into the Pavane output tube.The tube circuit values were changed to lower output impedance and maximize signal flow. Output coupling caps in the tube circuit were changed to Sonicaps with bypasses. Output connectors were changed to WBT Silver NextGen. RCA input is also WBT Silver NextGen. BNC is 75 ohm Canare. XLR is Neutrik silver plated. I did not use the USB or optical inlets as I do not consider them to sound very good at all.

AC inlet, fuse and fuse holder are all ACME Audio Silver Plated, Cryo-Treated. The power supplies are all point to point wired on 1/8" thick PCB material. Wiring in power supply is all NITRO. Output wiring is cryo-treated solid core copper. Digital input wiring for BNC and Coax is 75 ohm coax.

This represents about as far as I care to go with the EE MiniMax DAC. It should end up sounding exceptional after extended break-in.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2011, 12:07 am by Wayne1 »

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2011, 07:01 pm »
Wow!  Can I breath now. :thumb:

Good job Wayne!

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2011, 07:49 pm »
 :o

Holy crap!  When is it coming to my house for a visit ;)

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2011, 09:12 pm »
The Hyper modded EE DAC is sold and on it's way to New England after Lou gets through updating the finish and adding some additional RFI shielding.

The main circuit board also received all the "normal" Level 1 EE DAC mods. ALL the capacitors were upgraded. Additional caps were added as bypass.

The case Lou built has a separate, isolated base that all the circuit boards were mounted to. This base is completely separate from the main case. The boards are now pretty much free from any mechanical vibration from the outside environment.