Vintage? modwright

HNCadet

Vintage? modwright
« on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm »
Couldn't think of a better place to ask this question……………….After 5+ yrs of deep storage, I went thru all my 'saved' audio equipment this weekend and discovered I had kept my P1a, P3a w/modwright upgrade and the P3 PS.  I am wondering if this equipment has any value left?  As I look to resurrect my system, purchase needed components and once again enjoy enhanced audio listening, I would like to understand they're current place in history.

modwright

Re: Vintage? modwright
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2012, 06:51 pm »
It is a good set....was very good at the time.

Technology marches on and this is no more true than with digital.

It is STILL a great piece and if you enjoy it, then be happy!

If you are looking to upgrade, there are a number of options.  Since the 'day' of the P-1A/P-3A, we went through a period where we were principally modifying standalone players, SACD and Universal types.  Now that computer audio is more and more popular and with the availability of hi-rez downloads, DACs are once again in the forefront and USB is one of the common ways to connect to your computer.

The P-3A is 24/96 capable however, and has RCA and XLR digital inputs, so you can still stream from a number of devices, such as Logitech Touch or Squeeze Box as transport, or you can purchase a number of USB - SPDIF/AES/EBU converters.

So, in a nutshell, technology has moved on and there are exciting things happening.  The P-3A is still a great DAC.  For more money, you can do better...such is usually the case in audio.

Take care,

Dan W.