I want to buy a projector/ newbie

youravhandyman

Re: I want to buy a projector/ newbie
« Reply #40 on: 8 Mar 2016, 05:13 pm »
I have not had a client ask me about 3D in over 3 years.  Though most HT projectors over a grand are capable of 3D most would require a separate emitter if IR based or separate purchase of glasses even if they are directly RF capable.  I also cannot remember the last time someone told me that they watched a movie at home in 3D. 
As for personal opinion on the subs the 8" would provide the SPL but I doubt they would actually provide the depth and rumble of a larger driver that one would want for the true HT experience.  There are some affordable 12" models out there that perform very well if not over driven.

mcgsxr

« Reply #41 on: 8 Mar 2016, 06:19 pm »
3D?  I own a 3D 55 inch Panny Plasma (VT55).  Other than 1/2 a movie the first week we owned it, none of us have ever again tried a 3D experience.

Not saying that my small TV equates a giant screen, but the experience of wearing glasses to watch TV (and having to charge them etc) does not add anything in my books.

I will look for a PJ in the coming years, but won't be looking for 3D personally.

kingdeezie

« Reply #42 on: 8 Mar 2016, 06:26 pm »
The other issue with 3D on projectors is light output.

I forget what the actual percentage is, but you lose a significant portion of your light output when you put 3D glasses on. 

stlrman

« Reply #43 on: 8 Mar 2016, 11:57 pm »
Thanks Gentleman! I don't know that I would want to spend too much more money making it 3d ready . I assumed you pop in a 3d Blueray  and put on the glasses. I understand there are not alot if great 3d titles, but I do enjoy the 3d and it's fun for my 9 year old daughter. 
The  BenQ 1075 comes with anyway . 
 I thought about an Epson 5030 refurbished, but there is no warranty with that . 

Odal3

« Reply #44 on: 9 Mar 2016, 12:44 am »
I recently got a refurb BENQ1075 for the living room. I was amazed by the picture quality for the price. I'm sure the more expensive ones are better for dedicated set-up, but again, can't complain at all for the $600 or so I paid for it. Very happy with it - in fact, picture quality is about the same as my old TV but much bigger.

3D - I'm not into it, but I have read that many get cheaper 3rd party glasses that works well, and they seem to be happy with the performance. You should be able to find many threads if you google it.

The only thing is that there is a little bit of fan noise, but I also have it set-up on the wall behind the couch so the location is very close to the ears. Can only hear it at very quiet scenes and as soon as there are anything going on, I can't hear it even at low volume  - So 97% of the time this is a no issue.

stlrman

« Reply #45 on: 9 Mar 2016, 01:24 am »
Thanks for the info Odal3!! Does refurbished have any warranty?  How big is you screen ?
How are the blacks during dark scenes, is there still detail in the picture?  Do you watch mostly Blurays?
Do you know if you need to add anything to the Pj to do 3d? Thanks again! Todd

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #46 on: 9 Mar 2016, 01:37 am »
I feel it's worth mentioning, that anyone looking to purchase any type of projector should use the "calculator" at ProjectorCentral.com to ensure the desired screen size and available throw distance will work for their situation.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

stlrman

« Reply #47 on: 9 Mar 2016, 02:04 am »
Thanks Bob ! I have checked out the calculations .  Right now from the position my projector is in , it's about 15 ft. From the screen . I am thinking of buying new from BB so I would have 30 days to return.
I am also thinking of getting an extended warranty maybe .  I assume with refurbished, there is no warranty.
I would like to get a bit bigger of a picture , maybe going to a 120 inch screen if  I can get the image to project that big .  I can experiment with the 100 inch screen I have .

Odal3

« Reply #48 on: 9 Mar 2016, 02:21 am »
Yes. One year. At least if you buy it from the benq site. See here: http://www.benqdirect.com/benq-outlet/refurbished-projectors/ht1075-refurb.html

Price is down even further. Now at $575!! That is an absolute steal. I was choosing between the 1075 and the HC1200 which is supposed to have very good picture  (but slightly louder fan). Also check out the refurb 3050 which is the newest in the series.

Edit: it's $557
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2016, 07:13 pm by Odal3 »

stlrman

« Reply #49 on: 9 Mar 2016, 07:07 pm »
thanks Odal! I think I should be able to project a huge image if I want. I was asking a youtuber about his set up. He was filling a 100 inch 16x9 from only about 8 feet away. I will be about 15ft away. I am thinking of going to a 100 inch 16x9 or a 120 16x9 .
Can you watch only Blueray 1080 p in this format? 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 9 Mar 2016, 07:20 pm »
I've got a projector I will be selling soon - 1080p unit sitting in a box with mount attached.

stlrman

« Reply #51 on: 10 Mar 2016, 12:59 am »
I read up on what is the best screen size here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/formats.htm

Ot seems 16x9 is the way to go.  So a new screen is in order. Mine is 4:3

I might like to go electric, if I can find a used one locally. They cost way more than a pull down.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2016, 01:11 pm by stlrman »

stlrman

« Reply #52 on: 13 Mar 2016, 08:24 pm »
Well , I was all set to pull the trigger on the BenQ 1075, but I came to my senses that I don't want to ceiling mount the PJ as this would leave two sets of wires running from my ceiling to the back wall.  I have no idea what the expense would be to drill holes in the ceiling and front wall?
I like where my projector sits now on the book shelf 15ft from the screen. Wires are hidden on the floor and plugged in when we want to watch a movie .
I'm assuming a contractor would be a few hundred bucks ?
I think the Epson 8350 can work from 15 ft. back and still get a 120 inch image . Also maybe the BenQ 1070.
So I guess I need a longer throw projector.

stlrman

« Reply #53 on: 13 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm »
I just texted a handyman, he said it would only be around $100 bucks to cut the two holes , run the wires,
So maybe I will consider the ceiling mount if I can get the work done reasonably, and done right .

Odal3

« Reply #54 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:43 am »
thanks Odal! I think I should be able to project a huge image if I want. I was asking a youtuber about his set up. He was filling a 100 inch 16x9 from only about 8 feet away. I will be about 15ft away. I am thinking of going to a 100 inch 16x9 or a 120 16x9 .
Can you watch only Blueray 1080 p in this format?

Not at all, but it depends on how picky you are. It's the same for music - for casual music listening I often use spotify for the convenience, but when I really want to listen to something good, I use some files with better quality.

I have many old DVDs (ripped to DVDs) which I also view on the big screen and they often look OK enough to me - especially when watching it with the family we have the lamps on, kids run up and down and the important part is just to enjoy a good time with the family. But when watching some visually impressive movies I want the better format. Many sci-fi or fast action movies (especially the older ones) with lots of effects in 720 x 480 don't look too good when projected on a big screen. Take for example the original Matrix movie - on my screen in DVD format it showed a lot of artifacts and noise and it wasn't too enjoyable to watch. On the other hand, watching a newer non-animated kids or family type movie (many static scenes with little movement), I have to pay attention to be able to tell the difference between HD and SD.

With that said, I think this is very much up to individual preferences.   

stlrman

« Reply #55 on: 19 Mar 2016, 10:53 pm »
Ok, I was a bit concerned that 120 16x9 would be enormous in my room , so I made a paper screen of the dimensions 104x58 and it looks like it will be perrrrrfect!!! :thumb: :thumb:   The screen will be centered in the room obviously. The electric screen will cover the plasma . The plasma is for everyday use. Here are some pics from the seating position. Thoughts r welcome.
Paper will be recycled. :D
I will be ceiling mounting a BenQ 1075. Electrician is charging me 165$ for celing outlet and to hide the cords in channels . Not sure what they are called.  Very excited!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 19 Mar 2016, 11:41 pm »
You'll enjoy that PS on the big screen, for sure.  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #57 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:25 pm »
Up and running with my new refurbished BenQ 1075 !! :thumb:
Wow!! I am blown away with picture quality!!  Watched a few scenes from Avatar Blu-Ray . Holy Shit!!!  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Even my wife was very impressed . I'm loving the new bigger screen , a 120 inch 16x9, electric is awesome .
Very pleased with my cheapo Homegear screen !! $110 shipped can't be beat for the price.
 The electrician turned out to cost $260 plus materials . He also hung the screen and ceiling mount .
Watched The Good Dinosaur last night with my daughter , my wife warned me not to talk about the picture quality during the movie , I heard four gasps and three wows from her during the flick . Lol...!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:55 pm »
Welcome to the dark side.  :icon_twisted:

Odal3

« Reply #59 on: 14 Apr 2016, 06:49 pm »
If anyone is looking to get one, the price just got better but you probably need to act fast:

"BenQDirect.com has BenQ 1080p DLP Home Theater Projector (HT1075, Refurbished) for $507 - $10 w/ discount code take10$off114 = $497. Shipping is $4.77"