Day late and a dollar short

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Day late and a dollar short
« on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:13 pm »
I finally upgraded my Channel Island Audio VMB-1 monoblocks (40 watt chip amps) with a pair of the original D-100 from Agon.  So I save a boatload of money from the D-200 Mk II that I really wanted, but am still a generation behind.

I run single driver speakers (that chip amps are known to really synergize with), but these aren't your ordinary wide range drivers (90 dB/w/m, 8 ohm, 27 watts continous/80 watts peak).  OTOH they are supposed to thrive with more power (like many good drivers).  So I held off upsizing until I found the right price.

And like Dusty has stated, the D-100 seems to be all around better than the VMB-1.  Better resolution, images more focused, strings have much more bite, and of course an additional 4 dB of gain (which seems to provide better control so I can play louder).  And the extra beef makes my speakers sound like I've got a properly setup sub - that only makes its presence noticed when needed.  I also like that the soundstage seems set back further as I listen nearfield.  In comparison the VMB-1 is less athletic in general.  And a good sign, when I first listened, I kept turning the volume up (enjoying the sound with no negatives to be heard).

The VMB-1s are worth more to me as backups (maybe for my living room system) than I could probably sell them for, so I'm not planning on selling them.  BTW I bought them used too, and for just a smidge less than the D-100s!

Questions for Dusty:  Can you tell which production run these are (I know there was a cap change and maybe some other tweaks along the way)?  If they are 26 or 32 dB gain versions?  Can I get an owner's manual?  TIA

CIAudio

Re: Day late and a dollar short
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:42 pm »
There weren't many changes made during D-100 production.

Remove the top cover from an amp and give us a call...we can figure out the gain, etc. over the phone and also email the manual.

-Dusty

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Day late and a dollar short
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:36 am »
Thanks Dusty.

Next Monday is my best guess as to when my right coast and your left coast clocks and my work schedule align.

Now where did the kids steal my tools away to this time...