Speaker Isolation...Again...

jriggy

Re: Speaker Isolation...Again...
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm »
Thanks Robert. I currently have "Threaded Stud Glider" under the plinth and my speaker is about 150lb sitting on suspended wooden floor over concrete. Does the fat dots between the speaker and plinth provide additional benefits of isolation ? In case it does, can I use thin fat dots instead ? Alternatively, if I upgrade to the "Giant Threaded Stud Glider" under the plinth, would the fat dots be still beneficial ?

Just for clarification, if your wood floors are over concrete then they are not suspended. Correct? Suspended means on floor joists, "suspended" over a crawl space or basement. Right? I didn't think it could be both on concrete AND suspended, for your typical residential home.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2017, 03:48 pm »
I'm here.  I'm just not certain what I want to try.
Understood.
Herbie's does offer a 90-day money back trial period.

genjamon

« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2017, 03:56 pm »
Just for clarification, if your wood floors are over concrete then they are not suspended. Correct? Suspended means on floor joists, "suspended" over a crawl space or basement. Right? I didn't think it could be both on concrete AND suspended, for your typical residential home.

Maybe he meant to say "floating".  I think that's what they call laminates and hardwoods with a pad or other kind of layer between the surface flooring and the subfloor.  Maybe that's what he's talking about?

In my last house I had laminate floating over concrete, and had good luck using the threaded gliders for my speaker stands, and square dots between monitor and stand.  Basically, if you have a floor that can vibrate (like suspended, or floating floors), decoupling is a good strategy.

debjit.g

« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2017, 05:28 pm »

Maybe he meant to say "floating".  I think that's what they call laminates and hardwoods with a pad or other kind of layer between the surface flooring and the subfloor.  Maybe that's what he's talking about?

In my last house I had laminate floating over concrete, and had good luck using the threaded gliders for my speaker stands, and square dots between monitor and stand.  Basically, if you have a floor that can vibrate (like suspended, or floating floors), decoupling is a good strategy.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, it was a typo. I meant floating  :)