umbilical cord between vac1 and vda2

nasser

umbilical cord between vac1 and vda2
« on: 3 Feb 2014, 08:57 pm »
I have VDA2 DAC with VAC1 Power supply, and I was thinking of upgrading the AC umbilical cord that connects them.  I have three questions:  What is the name of the style of connectors that are used here? Is there a place that one can buy a high quality version of this connector?  Finally, has anyone any experience with VDA2 and an upgraded umbilical cord? Thanks in advance for your help.

CIAudio

Re: umbilical cord between vac1 and vda2
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm »
I have VDA2 DAC with VAC1 Power supply, and I was thinking of upgrading the AC umbilical cord that connects them.  I have three questions:  What is the name of the style of connectors that are used here? Is there a place that one can buy a high quality version of this connector?  Finally, has anyone any experience with VDA2 and an upgraded umbilical cord? Thanks in advance for your help.

The connector is a standard 5.5mm connector with a 2.5mm center pin.
Most aftermarkets are less reliable than the stock cable due to their crimp style strain-relief. The stock doesn't look very fancy but works very well. It uses 18g shielded coax with a molded strain relief for reliability.

nasser

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2014, 08:23 pm »
Thank you for this helpful reply.  My cord must be an older model because it consists of two parallel wires and not a coaxial cable.

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2014, 08:45 pm »
Thank you for this helpful reply.  My cord must be an older model because it consists of two parallel wires and not a coaxial cable.

Yes, early versions were 18g parallel wires... the current version is coaxial.
Email me if you want to get the new style, they are inexpensive.

2gumby2

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2014, 01:33 am »
What is the advantage of the shielded coax versus the older parallel style? Sound quality??

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2014, 01:47 am »
the coax is shielded, so has better noise rejection... other than that they should sound the same.