Using Jriver to play both Stereo and M-C Hi-Rez

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Using Jriver to play both Stereo and M-C Hi-Rez
« on: 16 May 2013, 05:20 pm »
Here’s a helpful Jriver configuration for those who play stereo and multi-channel hi-rez music files through different DACs.  Separate zones can be set up in JRMC to send specified files to different outputs.  Zone setup and configuration is found under the “Player” menu in JRMC 18. 

I have a “Stereo” zone that sends all mono or stereo files to my Benchmark DAC2 via USB.  A second zone called “Multi-Channel” sends all files with more than two channels to my Oppo BDP103 via HDMI.

I configured the ZoneSwitch feature to change zones based on the number of channels in the file.  Now Jriver’s output automatically switches to AISO USB for stereo files and WASAPI Event HDMI for multi-channel files.  All I have to do is switch to the right input on the DAC2 (USB for stereo, Analog 1/HT Bypass for multi-channel) to hear the file. 

To complement stereo/multi-channel playback zones, I created views in Jriver and Jremote (as documented by Ted B) that categorize stereo and multi-channel files/formats for easy album retrieval: Stereo All, Stereo DSD, Stereo PCM 24, Stereo PCM 16, Multi-Channel All, Multi-Channel DSD, Multi-Channel PCM.

This is a significant improvement over my previous configuration that used Jriver for stereo and Foobar for multi-channel.  I now get the advantage of Jremote control over all my files.  And Jriver has DSP options that make the regrettable but necessary DSD to PCM conversion for multi-channel files sound more transparent.

Russ

(Ted if this post is more appropriate in the Discless Circle, feel free to move it.)

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: Using Jriver to play both Stereo and M-C Hi-Rez
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2013, 05:36 pm »
Update:  Although Jriver automatically changes zones (via ZoneSwitch) when I move between stereo and multi-channel files, Jremote does not.  Before I figured this out, I was confused as to why Jremote was getting out of sync with the tracks playing in Jriver. 

So when Jriver switches zones, the new zone must be selected in Jremote.  In Jremote the "double window" icon to the left of the play/pause buttons opens a list of zones.  Selecting the zone (stereo or multi-channel) that corresponds with the file playing in Jriver gets Jremote back in sync.

I also found that each Jriver zone shows up as a "media player" on all my other DLNA devices.  I haven't taken the time to figure out the whole UPnP/DLNA thing to know what to do with this, but it's there.

Russ