New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!

jriggy

Re: New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!
« Reply #120 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:37 am »
It is fine to leave the cover off assuming no one goes near the unit while it is on.  Dan confirmed this.

Can you describe the noise you were experiencing?

First it was static. Then after reinstalling them it was much better but still a touch of a crackling sound and at one point a microphonic 'whistling' of sorts. Also, when taping on the front faceplate of the LS 100 the 'bonk' sound would come through the speakers too. that means microphonic tubes right?
Still doing some testing to make sure where it is, on all tubes, but Im pretty sure I was just sold some microphonic BT's... Sad really.

modwright

« Reply #121 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:41 am »
Sounds like bad AND microphonic tubes unfortunately.  Sorry to hear it.

Dan

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #122 on: 23 Apr 2011, 05:27 pm »
I know there was rumor of a newer and better remote for use with the LS100. Not sure how much discussion there has been, or if the design is too far along to offer suggestions.

But the one function I'd really like over the standard remote is the ability to enter a source input directly rather than scrolling thru all the inputs to get to the one you want. Overall, I know it's a minor thing. But helps with people like me who often overshoot the source they want and always have to 're-scroll' to get to the desired input.

LAURENT

« Reply #123 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:43 pm »
hi...... I have a preamp  Modwright LS 100 and i like to buy a DAC ..... I know i can upgrade a DAC in the LS 100, but when it's available and how much for this upgrade....please
 ..... thank you for your reply
Laurent

modwright

« Reply #124 on: 11 May 2011, 02:40 pm »
Hi guys, the DAC is still a work in progress.

We are having a metal remote made, but the functions will be the same.

Thanks,

Dan

Audioclyde

« Reply #125 on: 24 Jun 2011, 05:45 pm »
Dan, any update/news on the DAC board for the LS100?

Thanks,

Randy

modwright

« Reply #126 on: 25 Jun 2011, 05:50 pm »
Ugh!  I am frustrated as we are still working through the last details of the DAC design itself and I am still also working out which OEM to use for the USB input.  It must be 24/192 USB and I want to be sure that it has drivers for both MAC and PC.

Don't give up on me, it WILL be available and it WILL be exceptional!

Thanks,

Dan

padre_power

« Reply #127 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:18 am »
DAN

Just two questions regarding the LS100.

When will the DAC be completed and for sale?

When will the more upmarket Remote be available?

As a happy owner these two things are all I am craving for.

modwright

« Reply #128 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:26 am »
I am shooting to have the DAC design complete by Oct.

The new remotes will be available in late August.  They are in production right now.

Thank you,

Dan W.

AB

« Reply #129 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:56 am »
What's the likelihood of a standalone DAC by RMAF?

modwright

« Reply #130 on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:32 pm »
It is my hope to do so!  The engineering is done!  It is a matter of PCB production and assembly.  I am scrambling right now, to get ready for the HK show and am taking a 'first article' of the new KWI 200 Integrated with me. 

I am going to send the PCB order off to the board house for the DAC today.  Chances are VERY good that the DAC will be at RMAF.  The Integrated WILL for sure.  Once DAC digital core module design is done, it will be available as upgrade option for LS 100 and KWI 200 and of course rolled out as a standalone tube DAC also.

Thanks!

Dan

AB

« Reply #131 on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:05 pm »
It is my hope to do so!  The engineering is done!  It is a matter of PCB production and assembly.  I am scrambling right now, to get ready for the HK show and am taking a 'first article' of the new KWI 200 Integrated with me. 

I am going to send the PCB order off to the board house for the DAC today.  Chances are VERY good that the DAC will be at RMAF.  The Integrated WILL for sure.  Once DAC digital core module design is done, it will be available as upgrade option for LS 100 and KWI 200 and of course rolled out as a standalone tube DAC also.

Thanks!

Dan

Ok. I'll take one. See you in October. :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #132 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm »
Sounds good AB.  Look forward to seeing you and your wife there as always.

Take care and be well!

Dan

LAURENT

« Reply #133 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:23 pm »
Hi...for my information please.....how long in hours duration for the 3 tubes of the LS 100 Preamp....
 how many hours in normal use .... thank you all
Laurent.....
nothing....i received no response ...no help....thanks you all....
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2011, 03:25 am by LAURENT »

modwright

« Reply #134 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:43 am »
The LS 100 is a great product.  It has a slightly warmer overall tonality compared to the 36.5.  Overall the 36.5 is a bit quieter.  The LS 100 is a newer product and is more feature-rich and the DAC upgrade is nearly done and the phono upgrade is already available.  The LS 36.5 offers truly alanced outputs and uses the 6H30 tube, while the LS 100 uses the 6SN7.

I am also working on both a standalone tube DAC and tube phono stage, with external power supply.

Thanks,

Dan

mca

« Reply #135 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:21 am »
When do you expect the DAC upgrade to be done? Any idea of the cost?

modwright

« Reply #136 on: 25 Nov 2011, 09:49 pm »
Hi, still have not finalized price for the DAC upgrade, but expect it will be in the $1K range.

I am expecting the DAC boards next week and can start proto-typing the entire project at that time.  We have the design of the digital input receiver/clock/microprocessor complete and boards in hand, with assembly to be completed over the next two weeks.  I have two complete input boards on hand for prototyping while we wait for the rest to be assembled.

I can tell you all the following about the upgrade:

DAC: Burr Brown PCM1794, current output type, from same family as used in the Sony XA-5400ES, but of higher grade.  24-bit and fully capable of 24/192 input.

Formats available:  For KWI 200 and LS 100 upgrades = RCA and USB (24/192 'asynch').
Standalone DAC: RCA, AES/EBU(XLR), USB and optical.

DAC upgrades for LS 100 and KWI 200 will include the digital input receiver board and DAC daughter board, as well as the USB board.  The internal power supplies and analog stages of the integrated and preamp will complete the design.

The standalone design will be tube-based (one option at least), with an even MORE sophisticated all-tube power supply that I am working on right now.  I intend for the DAC to be two separate boxes, approximately the same size as our outboard PS 9.0 power supply = 8"Wx10"Dx4"H.  They will thus both fit on a single shelf or on separate shelves, over/under.  The power supply however, will be completely separate from the DAC and analog stage.

I may also design a simpler one-box design at a lower cost, perhaps with SS analog stage.

I plan to have AT LEAST the DAC upgrades in use at CES, for the KWI 200 and LS 100.  I would LIKE to have a prototype of the external DAC, but we will see.

I have several projects underway right now and am in heavy design mode, as my team works overtime, building the KWI 200's and our other mf'd. products and my lead mod tech continues to have a backlog of mods scheduled.

Thanks!

Dan

Syrah

« Reply #137 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:39 pm »
Really looking forward to all of this Dan.  How much do you think the standalone DAC and phono stage will cost?  It would be pretty smart if they could share a power supply (to keep costs down) since one is necessarily using one or the other.

modwright

« Reply #138 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:27 am »
Target price for Phono is $3K.  DAC will be more, but am working out the final numbers.

Supply will be the same, so one could use same supply for either DAC or Phono, but not at the same time!

Thanks,

Dan

NickG

« Reply #139 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:27 pm »
Can someone please tell me how many decibels the volume increases with each 'click' of the remote volume button? 

Thank you