Mini-Review: Favorite SACD or DVD-Audio disc

In The Groove

Re: Mini-Review: Favorite SACD or DVD-Audio disc
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:08 am »
I really like Sara K's "Hell or High Water" (on SACD) on Stockfish records.  I picked it up some time ago.  Imaging and sonics are really nice.  Also picked up some time ago is Greta Matassa "Live at Tula's" on SACD.  It is a realistic live recording in either two or multi-channel

The Sara K is nice.

My choice would be the new Aja Japanese SHM-SACD.  The John Hammond Rough and Tough is also stellar.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:36 pm »
Well, I picked up 2 SACD's with the Elusive Disk Sale (actually a lot more than 2) and I have to say these are phenomenal.  An eclectic mix of country, folk, indie rock - Nickel Creek.  Both are exceptional from a sonics, 2-channel and multichannel standpoint.  Incredible vocals and instrumentals.

Nickel Creek-Nickel Creek

Nickel Creek-This Side

Mark

Edit:  Just wanted to add that these 2 SACD's are excellent, extremely well recorded and a joy to listen to.

I've had these for awhile, the sonics/performance are topshelf.  Well done recordings.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm »
Just got this in from Elusive Disc, absolutely exceptional sonics!  Nice eclectic mix of Celtic folk music, bluegrass, Mexican music and country music.  Vancouver based Canucks!  Outstanding!!  2CH SACD.

Just as a point of reference; the CD layer is excellent also for those ripping the CD layer!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2010, 02:27 am »
Mark,
Thanks.  All the Stockfisch stuff is extremely well-recorded, with lots of texture, including Sara K (Water Falls, etc.).

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2010, 02:31 am »
The Sara K is nice.

My choice would be the new Aja Japanese SHM-SACD.  The John Hammond Rough and Tough is also stellar.

I have Aja on the way with a couple of other SHMs.  I just got Sara K's "Made in the Shade" on SACD  It was on backorder for about 6 months at Acoustic Sounds.  Only played through it once but it is really good.

Brandon B

« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2010, 01:46 am »
Well, I picked up 2 SACD's with the Elusive Disk Sale (actually a lot more than 2) and I have to say these are phenomenal.  An eclectic mix of country, folk, indie rock - Nickel Creek.  Both are exceptional from a sonics, 2-channel and multichannel standpoint.  Incredible vocals and instrumentals.

Nickel Creek-Nickel Creek

Nickel Creek-This Side

Mark

Edit:  Just wanted to add that these 2 SACD's are excellent, extremely well recorded and a joy to listen to.

A second double ++ on these.  I was really bummed when the dropped SACD support with their third album (albeit still a beautifully produced RBCD).

There is also an SACD by the middle guy Chris Thile of his solo stuff that technically is just as good, although I do not enjoy the songs as much musically.

Also quite like the Ultimate Mancini SACD.  Probably the disk with the best surround payoff of any of mine.

golfugh

« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm »
Well I've been on a buying binge of late, trying to further build my DVD-A/SACD library.  I have a DVD-A I'd like to mention, it's not for everyone...it's dadgum near elevator music.  The sonics and sound quality are phenomenal, soft jazz at it's best.  The multi-channel mix is exceptional!  The 24/96 2-channel rip is equal to the multi-channel mix.

Mark

Yes...it's Fourplay

Wrote this up while listening to Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth, how's that for eclectic taste

« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2011, 11:43 pm by golfugh »

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2011, 11:54 pm »
I love smooth jazz. I bought an Esoteric CDP here on AC recently, mostly because it was a SACD player. It can also play DVD-A but I don't have any.

So where could I find this Fourplay?

Thanks,

Gene

golfugh

« Reply #28 on: 22 Sep 2011, 12:00 am »

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #29 on: 22 Sep 2011, 12:10 am »
I just it put it in my cart at Amazon before I came back to see your reply. I emailed the seller to make sure it was the DVD-A version.

Thanks,

Gene

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Fourplay/dp/B00005ATM6/ref=mb_oe_d

Buy the used one at $24.99

griff2

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm »
Jonie Mitchel - Both Sides Now on DVD-A.  Straight to the heart, beautiful.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2012, 10:15 pm »
Griff2, agreed 1000%.  I love how Joni figured out how to use her changed voice over the years. 

Just 2 weeks ago at CES Gus Skinas (Super Audio Center) played us his original tapes (analog to DSD) from this session.  Sublime!!

CMYKjill

« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2012, 09:31 pm »
I really enjoy Alan Parsons SACD On Air. Apollo is GREAT.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm »

Just fantastic to listen to...and doesn't suck sonically.   :D

RocketMan50

« Reply #34 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:12 pm »
Being a classic rock junky, my favs are:
Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-A)
Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms (DVD-A)
The Who - Tommy (SACD)

All are 5.1 with accompanying Stereo mixes

bplexico

« Reply #35 on: 1 May 2013, 04:02 am »
Boy this one has not gotten as much milage as I would have liked! I would love to know how that Donald Fagan SACD sounds, or other SACDs worth the purchase price. I have the entire DOORS vinyl re-issues from Analog Productions, are the SACDs of similar quality? I would love to know. What other great music on SACD am I missing?

And to be fair and equitable, I will post my list of SACDs I know and love shortly...

But here is a teaser:

Aimee Mann - any of her SACDs
Nora Jones - any of her SACDs - though Danger Mouse stuff is on the cusp of investment versus reward
Dire Straits - any of their SACDS - though anything they do on any medium is usually well recorded ( a theme here for the SACDS?)
Jim Hall - Concerto - though I need to hear this on a really good DAC that can do DSD - the vinyl is great.
Bill Evans - all of his SACDS seem very well recorded and hey, it's Bill!
Yes - Close to the Edge - huge Yes fan. Also love their Fragile on DVD-A
Talking Heads - I love them too - Remain in Light DVD-A sounds very good.
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow - SACD - sublime.
Pink Floyd - Analog Production SACD - Wonderful.

More to come..

Barr

Brandon

« Reply #36 on: 6 Oct 2013, 12:31 am »
First post - registered after a week of confusing myself with how I'm going to get affordably into computer digital audio, preferably including (exclusively?) DSD. While I was doing that, I heard the sad news on radio that Osmo Vanska is leaving the Minnesota Orchestra due to their long-drawn out strike. It was two of their newest recordings on BIS that's pushed me to venture back into the audiophile world...  So these will be my recommendation.

A friend just got a new pair of Quads, so I grabbed a representative variety of my favourite SACDs (and one or two CDs) and headed over. The one I played right through - because I couldn't possibly stop it! - was the Sibelius 5. That was a month ago, and I still haven't recovered. Totally gob-smacked. I always knew BIS had good sound, but this was  a shock: the #1 audiophile experience of my life.  (And I'm not young, having been in the music business in one way or another for 40+ years, not counting music student years before that.)

Tremendously musically involving, fine sound stage and unbelievable detail. Your ears can wander right into and around the orchestra... I've heard many, many live orchestral (and other) concerts in many great halls, but never an acoustic that drew me so totally into the music. And few performances of any music as involving.

So the disc is Osmo Vanska conducting the Minnesota Orchestra in Sibelius Symphonies 2 & 5 on BIS SACD-1986. This is a 2011 recording, but BIS still records in PCM 24.96 and converts to DSD in post. The last few weeks I got the second volume in the proposed (but now perhaps aborted) cycle: Sibelius 1 & 4 on BIS SACD-1996. I was always a fan of the 5th, and 1 & 2 are always popular, but #4 never really got me before. This performance and recording do, and the 4th is becoming my new favourite. A performance and recording that "sells" a work you didn't much care about before is always a good thing.

<http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BIS1996>
<http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=885951>

Rob50

« Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:26 pm »
I have something in the region of 130 + SACD / DVD-A titles. Two discs I constantly come back to are, "Yo-yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone, ( M/C SACD ) the music speaks for it's self ! I also like Mark Knopfler's, "Shangri La" ( M/C SACD )

Rob50

« Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:29 pm »

Just fantastic to listen to...and doesn't suck sonically.   :D

+1 ( A sonic joy !! )

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:41 pm »
Agreed; I think the DVD-A is even better transfer, but nit picking (I have both).  Kamakiriad is an even better mch mix.