Eastern Electric DSD Supreme DAC

mrvco

Re: Eastern Electric DSD Supreme DAC
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2015, 06:10 pm »
About year down the road, I'm still extremely pleased.  The whole spectrum, midrange included, is better after implementing the basic plug-in mods.  The DEXA op-amps are a quantum leap forward from stock, and a Pavane tube is also mandatory. I finished the first round of modding with a Hi-Fi tuning fuse. 

What did not go to plan were the ClarityCap MR 3.3uF 400v coupling caps.  They won't quite fit with lid on, and I'm not interested in running topless.  It looks like V-Cap OIMP might fit, though.  I'd love to hear from anybody who has tried those in a MiniMax. 

Speaking of the second round of mods, has anybody upgraded any of the voltage regulators?

Do you find yourself using the tube or SS output primarily?  And if you switch between the two, what prompts the switch (e.g. music, mood, etc.)?  Have you experimented with different 12AU7 tubes?

I'm currently waiting on a Rogue Audio Sphinx (v2) to arrive which will be paired with my Omega Super 7XRS MKii speakers.  My current DAC is a Schiit Bifrost Uber + Wyrd fed from a Mac Mini.  I'm thinking that out-of-the-box, the DAC Supreme should be a nice pairing with the Sphinx and a solid step-up from the Bifrost Uber (which I will most likely keep so I can try the rumored multi-bit upgrade).