suggestions for cheap but durable in ear/ear bud

drphoto

suggestions for cheap but durable in ear/ear bud
« on: 25 Feb 2017, 09:43 pm »
Hey all. I need a need a cheap in ear to jack into my phone so I can listen at work. Listen to local public radio, so I don't care about audio quality. I just want something comfortable that will hold up. The really cheap ones seem to break after a week or so. I can't stand the fit of the apple ear buds.

I'm looking for something in the $25 range. which is what I paid for a charger cord that works well after a slew of $5 versions that didn't.

thanks

charmerci

Re: suggestions for cheap but durable in ear/ear bud
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm »
I've done well with $10 Sonys - sounds good too.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:07 am »
Those small speakers dont stand much power handling, some care are need.

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2017, 12:54 am »

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2017, 01:13 am »
Hey Now,

I use these Rock Zircon,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV6AC98/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488071250&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Sound good, durable and cheap.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2017, 03:41 am »
Hey thank you guys. I went with Bender's suggestion as the review looked solid. Ya know even spending a fair amount of money doesn't guarantee anything. I currently use Shure 215 IEM which are $100. The fit sucks and one side constantly drops out do to faulty cable. Which is user replaceable but I think it's $25 or so.

I will post back when I get them. cheers to all.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2017, 01:05 pm »
I own the IEMs ccklone linked and think they sound pretty good. In some ways they beat my Shure 115s. The only issue I have with them is they have a bit too much microphonic noise from the cables if using them in a quiet environment.

I also ordered the pair bender recommended last night.  For $11, why not?

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2017, 03:06 pm »
[quote author=drphoto link=topic=148800.msg1591592#msg1591592 date=1488080482I currently use Shure 215 IEM which are $100. The fit sucks and one side constantly drops out do to faulty cable. Which is user replaceable but I think it's $25 or so.

[/quote]

drphoto-
I know what you mean about the fit, I have Shure 535's which are the same shape and after trying probably every eartip on the market (because the sound was worth it!), finally gave up and got the custom tips, which are probably not worth it on the 215's. A couple of the stock Shure tips fit OK but the ones that did didn't give great isolation. The Shure design fits great when you find the magic combination of eartip and insertion technique, but that process is kind of like Luke Skywalker practicing with the drone, at least at first. A lot 'trickier' than it ought to be. The form factor has been copied by other manufacturers including Westone and RHA though, so I guess you picks your poison....

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2017, 12:53 am »
Got the cheap IEMs recommended by bender above. They came today and I have them on now. A bit of a pain to get them in properly, but once they're in they're very comfy. I have to say though, I adapt to the feel of IEMs pretty easily.

Sound? Listening to T-Bone Burnett which is very well recorded. Initial impressions is they have nice bass and are a bit soft on the top end which I'm not complaining about. I like em. For $12 you they are very good.

Too soon to say anything about durability but they don't look or feel too cheap.

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm »
Finally got these this morning, as they shipped from China. (not stated clearly in listing, but should have guessed from the wonky translation)  Seem well made. Look like pro IEMs.  A bit rolled off in top end as mentioned by timind. But that's fine with me, as I hate overly bright. Instruction sheet mentions break in period, so we'll see if they get a little more detailed. Still, they are fine for what I want and if they hold up, a good buy for $11.  The cable is thin, but is covered with a rubbery material rather than just vinyl. Dunno if that will improve durability, but it's at least different.

Quick update, as I've gotten to play w/ these a bit more since getting home from work. They come with silicone and 'squishy foam' tips. I switched from the silicone to the squishy and they  feel & fit  better. I like 'em a lot so far, especially for the money. Sure I wish they were 'airier' sounding, but as per original post, I was not searching for ultimate SQ. I like that they are not overly bright, and there is good bass without being muddy. Thanks for the heads up on these.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017, 04:27 am by drphoto »

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2017, 03:01 am »
Over the weekend I got tired of listening to the news at work. I've had the song "Black Sun" from DCFC stuck in my head for some reason, so I streamed it from youtube. You know what? It sounded damn good through these. I'm not gonna do a 'review or  them compare to anything else. I'll just say I think they are a steal for $11 and leave it at that. Thanks again for the recommendation.