Warpspeed Optocoupler

Warpspeed CE

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #20 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:49 am »
Wow...Nicksgems...
Beautiful work Warpspeed! ...

Thank you gents! The front and rear panels are my designs but was executed by a fine craftsman from OR.

Can the VCCSs drive additional LEDs? (Specifically, is an 8 channel attenuator possible?)

Running some numbers, it can although I have not tried 4x stereo channels. 2x stereo has been tried...balanced mode is actually 2x matched quads of optocouplers. The problem is finding 4x matched quads unless a very large quantity of optos is purchased. It is easier if control is separate for each stereo pair like L/R front, L/R surround, etc. This way also you can tune each to a room's requirements.

richidoo

« Reply #22 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:52 am »
Do you drive the LEDs by current or voltage? What does VCCS stand for?
Thanks,
Rich

edit: voltage controlled current source?

nicksgem10s

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:38 am »
Trung,

That looks great.  I bet it sounds wonderful with the Dodd Buffer.

This is a great sounding volume control on its own.

Rich,usp1, jdubs.......

I highly recommend getting in line to hear his demo unit if you are curious about it. 

After not having success with the kit due to my own negligence I was lucky enough to borrow his demo unit.

It was a done deal once I heard what it did in my system.

I will certainly be building one from the kit so I can use this in both of my systems.

If anyone wants to see higher resolution photos of the completed unit there is a link below.

http://fujis5.zenfolio.com/p550274322

Have a great weekend.

-Nick

TrungT

« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:30 am »
Nick
Thank you  :D
Let me know when you are ready to give try the inline Dodd buffer with the Warpspeed.
 :thumb:

walkern

« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm »
First off let me say I have a love-hate relationship with the  Optocoupler.
I have tried it as a stand alone system attenuator, and as a replacement pot in the dodd buffer.  Without a moments hesitation I can say this thing sounds great.  As a stand alone attenuator it was the cleanest sound I have heard in my system.  It was lacking a little life but that turns out to be a result of longish interconnects to my amps(across the room).  When I replaced the pot in the dodd with the Optocoupler, problems solved.  All the life, involvement with the music is there.  Just sucks you in.  Man the best my system has ever sounded.
you ask whats the other side of the coin?  I simply do not like the fact that all components except the LDR's are potted.  Same problem with the dodd buffer.  I like knowing whats going on.
I think the dodd buffer is a great item also, especially with 6 volt Russian tube (in my system).
When I have time I want to give the Optocoupler a try in my tube preamp.

Anyone interested in building an LDR based volume control without 'potted' components can buy boards or full kits from Uriah at www.buildanamp.com

I have no personal experience with this particular LDR control (I bought a now discontinued kit from a DIY Audio guy in Germany) but reports from users seem as enthusiastic as those who've tried the Warpspeed.

Neil

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:40 pm »
VCCS stands for Voltage Controlled Current Source.

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:55 pm »
Thanks HAL! A few years ago on the Lightspeed thread I think I was the first person to mention driving the LEDs with current instead of George's voltage method. People started talking and trying it after that. But I was looking at IC LED controllers like Maxim to do it, not a discreet circuit which is beyond my ability.  Good to see the top optocoupler designers agree about current for LEDs!

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:54 pm »
It's a dual Voltage Controlled Current Source working in tandem and is as generally described in the zipped pdf on post #3 here...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/176847-warpspeed-optocoupler-volume-control.html#post2357988

Tried to link .pdf directly, for better pics resolution, but couldn't...?

richidoo

« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the link!
Make sure you use "url" tags around any external links, using the button.

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 21 Sep 2011, 03:42 am »

Who else is dying to try this thing???!! I know I am  :thumb:

Guys as soon as we can get a big enough list he'll send out the demo unit. Tell me you aren't curious! Comes with batteries, you don't need to buy anything to try it.

Please guys, sign up on this demo tour.

praedet

« Reply #31 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:26 pm »
I am as well.  I think we need another 4 people :duh:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:37 pm »
Is there a sign-up list?   :scratch:

praedet

« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:41 pm »
pm Blues...

TrungT

« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:45 pm »
Pm me for direct email
 :wink:

morganc

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:29 pm »
Email sent to join the tour :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2011, 04:01 pm »
PM Sent

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2011, 09:39 pm »
I'd like to join the tour. I have Uriah's Lighter Note and can compare it with the Warpspeed. I'm in the SF Bay Area now, but will be moving to the San Diego area in December.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #38 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:37 am »
i'd love to compare it w/my eva-2, but w/o remote it is a non starter for me...

for those interested in ldr wolume control, i strongly recommend it.  my eva-2 improved the sound of my modded melos ma333r, which has the tube wolume pot mod - one if the melos' known features has been their stellar photentiometers, (similar to ldr?), further upgraded w/the tube mod.  cranking the melos' pots almost wide open, and using the eva-2 for wolume control has added detail i did not think possible; i was simply hoping for no net negative degradation to have a remote that is much more ergonomically friendly than the melos' remote.  (the melos is true dual mono, and its remote never tracks the two channels at the same speed, so there's always futzing w/the balance control, which is simply a remote for only one channel, to match its level w/the other channel.) 

doug s.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #39 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:03 am »
Hi Doug,

You may want to still get on the tour to audition it.  Blues may be able to accomodate a remote option at a higher cost if you talked to him about it.

The Warpspeed is my reference and it is absolutely worth taking a short walk to adjust the volume when needed.

It is special.  I also love having remote volume but now I don't mind!   :thumb:

-Nick