New see-through OB with Seas C18 coax

sfdoddsy

New see-through OB with Seas C18 coax
« on: 19 Oct 2015, 08:18 am »
I've just completed test baffles my latest OB. As with my last few, it uses a very simple Perspex (acrylic) baffle.

This time it is designed to be wall-mounted to the side of a nib wall on a hinge that allows it to fold flattish.

The drivers are the newish Seas Excel C18en001 coaxial and (for the test) a Dayton RS225.

Crossovers are passive at 2.6k for the coax and active at 350Hz for the woofer. I use a MiniDSP to EQ the bottom of the coax and the woofer, and to tweak overall response.

The speakers don't get played loud as this is a living room and cross to a servo sub below 90Hz.

The choice of the Seas coax was due to speakers being mounted both higher and wider than is ideal. So vertical and horizontal dispersion were key goals.

I've not tried a coax before, but it certainly works as advertised.

JohnR

Re: New see-through OB with Seas C18 coax
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2015, 03:08 pm »
Cool. Interesting design. Do you get much vibration in the panel?

sfdoddsy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:18 pm »
Not a massive amount of vibration, but I don't play these very loud.

They are really designed for quietish night-time listening (child and cranky partner sleeping upstairs), although they can go much louder for family movies.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2015, 12:23 am »
Very cool! I'd like to try that coax myself...   8)

Do you use the SEAS xo or home brew xo on the coax?

Odal3

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
Very cool! Nice job! How did you hide the cables?

sfdoddsy

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2015, 10:00 pm »
Very cool! I'd like to try that coax myself...   8)

Do you use the SEAS xo or home brew xo on the coax?

I'm using a generic 3rd crossover I had lying around. If I want to complete them I'll either get the Seas xo or go fully active.

The cables aren't attached in the shots, but come out of a hole in the side wall and then are clipped to the side of the speaker to keep them relatively hidden.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2015, 02:25 pm »
A few changes whilst I'm still in the test mule stage.

They are now a kind of a coax version of the Lyngdorf DP1 dipoles. The C18 goes down to 300Hz, then a couple of sealed stereo boundary woofers. They are flat to 20Hz (at low levels) but there is considerable EQ and response shaping with a MiniDSP, and I use a proper sub below 50Hz.