H-frames, OB or servo sub question

flavo

H-frames, OB or servo sub question
« on: 16 Aug 2015, 11:54 pm »
Hi all
 I'm looking to fill in some bass and was wondering about which direction I'm headed? That sounds confusing, but I'm pretty confused.
I talked to Danny at GR as I'm running a set of x-statics and he recommended a single 12" servo in a sealed box.  Now I'm not second guessing him, it probably would sound better. I have it in my head to go OB or
H-frame though. For one it will cost 1/2 the money. On the other side of it is. This is my 1st reach into OB with the x-statics and I love it! I was hoping/thinking that the H-frame would bring me more of what I'm enjoying. But all I've heard is what I have. Nothing else to go by really.
The problem with the OB or h-frame is space constraints.

How bad of an idea would it be to build an h-frame or a double h-frame and rest my tube amp and pre on it  :oops:? I was figuring with it being open that the box wouldn't vibrate enough to cause issues. But what the heck do I know? If I built a shelf above the h-frame (less likely to happen because WAF) I could just pull the baffle out while listening.

Placing the amps on my sub sounds really stupid to me too. I just need to run things by folks with more experience then me sometimes. Assuming it's a terrible idea. Is there a way to dampen the top of the box so as not to cause damage over time to my amps?

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

jparkhur

Re: H-frames, OB or servo sub question
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2015, 12:16 am »
Build either a sealed or H frame.  Your money and your call

But if you set anything on top of it, I'll come smack you for free.  !!!!

I like my sealed subs but also don't have 3 feet for ob subs.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2015, 12:35 am »
But if you set anything on top of it, I'll come smack you for free.  !!!!

That's very kind of you to offer a free smack down, but I'll pay you to do it. Post the video here.

flavo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2015, 12:36 am »
 :o Thanks guys
Does the h frame resonate a bit? I assumed it wouldn't. And the resonance/vibration is what I thought was bad too.

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:18 am »
Everything resonates to some point but I understand your thinking.  Stop thinking.  You know you should put the tube amp or pre in front of sub so it gets air flow.   Ha. Dry humor.   Either way sealed or h frame, your call. Both with be great.  I do t have three feet from wall and have three kids who already trashed my 1625 tube amp.  One is now missing a finger.   

I figure your thinking money. I can buy two 12s h frame for almost the same as a single.  More is better right. Think long term.  If you can go that wAy great.  If not do a single sealed.

flavo

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:44 am »
That'll learn'em.
I hope you made a spectacle of him and lopped it off in front of the whole family.

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:46 am »
I asked him to choose and handed him the cutters.  Not a tear and the dog got a treat. Great family story

NiToNi

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2015, 09:42 am »
LOL!! Welcome to Audio Circle  :green:

celebrat

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2015, 11:21 am »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I think this is the best thread I have ever read in the circle :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: