McCormack DNA1 or Class D Amps

audiogurujax

McCormack DNA1 or Class D Amps
« on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:01 pm »
HiI need some help deciding!

I am in the quest of buying a new pair of monoblocks and I am between a pair of used McCormak DNA1 Mono Blocks (factory Mono) and A pair of brand new D-Sonic M3-600 Class D Mono which one would you choose and why?

saygrr

Re: McCormack DNA1 or Class D Amps
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2016, 05:17 pm »
I don't know what your price point is but I have a pair of DNA-1s with the Platinum+ upgrades from SMC. i have had these amps for about 12 years. Been in this hobby for 36 years. Over the years have owned and auditioned many amps and line stages. McCormack with SMC revisions put an end to my searching. My line stage is a McCormack TLC with the Signature revision. This line stage is so much better than the Audio Research models I have owned over the years. I know it is hard to believe but the dynamics in the midrange on this TLC  especially female vocals is so much better. So if you can afford even a lower level revision I recommend DNA-1 and have SMC revise it as funds permit. McCormack is an investment you can own for the rest of your life  with the mods or revisions what ever SMC calls their work. Check out the SMC web sight. Give Steve McCormack a call. I live near Racine Wi. If your close enough your welcomed to visit me and have a listen.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2016, 05:38 pm »
PM sent.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2016, 07:56 pm »
McCormack is an investment you can own for the rest of your life  with the mods or revisions what ever SMC calls their work. Check out the SMC web sight. Give Steve McCormack a call. I live near Racine Wi. If your close enough your welcomed to visit me and have a listen.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

audiogurujax

I second everything that saygrr has said and as a second chance offer to experience first hand how good they are:

If you are near Dayton, OH and would like to hear the difference drop me a PM. I have a pair of DNA-0.5 mono's with the Platinum+ (2012 Edition) as well as a factory pair of DNA-1 mono's I would be willing to let you experience.

That's only if you can handle the Vandersteen 3A Signature sound,   :notworthy:   :drool:  :singing: :banana piano: :violin: :drums: :guitar: :rock:

:wtf:

Should make for a good time anyway.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2016, 08:11 pm »
The McCormack gear is great, no doubt. Another set of amps I think are great though, since you mentioned Class D, the Nord One Up mono amps are stupid good, and I would pick these over any other Class D for the money.

jtsnead

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2016, 08:46 pm »
Class D all the way, PM sent

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2016, 09:13 pm »
Not all Class D amps are created equal.  I would look at the Primare A34.2.  150 watts in stereo, and 550 watts in mono.  Gets great reviews.  Reasonably affordable. 

Sounds cleaner than most Class AB amps.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2016, 09:30 pm »
The motto of Class D amps are transparency, if its what the custumer want may be a great choice.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2016, 10:25 pm »
I have had a lot of Class D amps through here, I hated them all until the Marashino Cherry monos came in. But look at the 36v versions, by far the best sound. Could this be the reason Class D is so bad? The higher voltage the power supply and more watts=poorer SQ? Maybe Tommy O'Brian is on to something here.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:28 pm »
I met Tommy once, he's a fun guy, very enthusiastic.  And I heard his Cherry amp making some sweet sounds, so imagine the newer mono blocks sound even better.  Also check out NuPrime both at the top and bottom of their line.  They have $695 mono amps (bridged) and $3800 each Reference 20's.  And again, is another AC member.  Sorry, no experience with your amps of choice.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2016, 12:07 am »
The Class D products seem to be in a constant state of upgrade so my guess is McCormack products would hold their resale value better if that's a concern.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2016, 01:08 am »
I gave up on class D amps after Ncore. They can sound ok but they always leave me feeling empty. Honestly don't know what it is but it's like eating a steady diet of chocolate bars.

Just my opinion as I've never heard either of the amps in your OP.

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2016, 03:53 am »
Get the McCormacks

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2016, 08:03 am »
I feel sorry for all the Class D companies that has made their products sound right. Tommy o'Brian is one of those and there are probably others. The rave about the Ncores did many of us in on Class D and many here will never touch Class D again. I personally will never own any NCore amp, I had both the NC400's and NC1200's in my system.

I wish I had a dollar every time someone has said digital will never sound as good as analog the last 30+ years. I see most of us here are now using a digital source as our main source these days. Now I wish I had a dollar for everyone that says Class D will never sound as good as Class A/B. No doubt, it might take another 10-20 years for that to ever turn around, even though it is true today.

I would be a multi millionaire today for all those dollars. :thumb:

« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2016, 11:52 am by OzarkTom »

maty

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2016, 09:29 am »
McCormack DNA 1

-> http://www.stereophile.com/content/mccormack-power-drive-dna-1-power-amplifier-1995-measurements

Now, in 2006, I will do not buy the McCormack DNA 1.

Class D

Only the Nord with Hypex NCore NC500 + Sonic Imagery 994.

-> http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk

Maybe, in the future, NuPrime MCH-K38 Multi Channel Stereo Amplifier but now it is a quimera.

DIY, now

First One v1.4 M

-> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/248996-first-one-mosfet-amplifier-module.html

With a trusted technician to make it in US -> more cheaper.

Or others with Lateral MOSFET and very good SMPS PSU.

DIY, next year

-> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/271545-cfa-headphones-amplifier-2.html

but the new CFA design to speakers amp:

* Frequency response: 0 - 800 kHz at -3 dB without input LPF.

* Slew-rate: approx. 400 V/uS

* Voltage gain: 33 (smaller version - current PCB) or 66 (bigger PCB with 4 transistors per rail).

* Input impedance: 100k (JFET input) ...

and with input LPF to have a -3 dB rolloff at 350kHz (like AVA amps) because I have tons of RFI/EMI!

Lateral MOSFET from EXICON, CFA topology, with dual DIY SMPS 600 PSU from Cresnet I think is the best choice. With more very low-noise voltage regulators like the above design, from Bulgary by Aleksandar (I am very happy with my DC blockers and DC & Ripple Blocker x4 ME)

-> http://www.atlhifi.com

Cresnet SMPS PSU

-> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/281413-audio-smps-units-sale.html#post4835465

Other amp, but expensive:

Fet Valve 600R Amplifier

-> http://www.avahifi.com/products/power-amplifiers/fet-valve-600r-amplifier

Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?

-> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125647.0

Nick B

« Reply #15 on: 27 Oct 2016, 04:46 pm »
Another vote for McCormack. I have a modded DNA 1.0 and it is excellent. The bass was significantly improved going with a 7 gauge solid copper power cord. I have no experience with the TWL cords.

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2016, 05:53 pm »
Had a DNA .5, with gold mods. Loved it, but after I got my Apogee Duetta Sig's I needed more power. I added 2 zero's to my amp model and moved the decimal point (DNA 500) and couldn't ask for anything better. I do recommend putting tubes in front of it for best performance though, so think about a tube preamp.

saygrr

« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2016, 08:11 pm »
audiogurujax I hope we can read an impression or two from you from what has been posted so far.

BobM I agree with you on having tubes somewhere in the system. I have the K@K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage in my system. Had more money invested in the ARC stage but the K@K is much easier to listen to.

Having my DNA-1 mono blocks upgraded to the Platinum Special LTD Edition in June. The amps are already Platinum + so the change is new driver boards and several other things. There are very few manufactures that use as high a quality of parts as SMC plus have the knowledge that Steve McCormack has. If the system and room is up to it, it is like not listening to a system. I have heard Gordon Lightfoot, Alison Krauss and several other performers live. I prefer listening to them on my system. I enjoyed the concerts, but the venue acoustics and the sound system just is not up there with what some audiophiles have. The Milwaukee symphony on the other hand at the Milwaukee PAC, now that is outstanding. The Chicago Auditorium is even better yet.

undertow

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2016, 08:17 pm »
I owned every iteration of McCormacks made... Gold, platinum, 0.5 deluxe, DNA1 etc... Mono, and Stereo...Even the DNA 125. And I had one DNA platinum at the time to compare directly to NCore Class D... I also have had a few other Class D amps not worth mentioning, including ICE.

Class D has its place, but they are still 100% analog amps, nothing to do with the word "digital" just because they have a D' in them! [sarcasm as they are not the next new frontier of audio bliss]

In any case a McCormack is a quintessential solid state amp. They do everything they need too, and do it better than most. Most are pretty old so upgrading the caps unless "Platinu-mized" in the last 10 years is likely a good idea as it does really refresh the sound.

I can say for most people the old A-B, and pure Class A amps still out perform, and sound more musical on systems universally than does any Class D I have encountered.

I have seen many justifications made about sound, transparency, even as far as "Space" using Class D because they are normally compact, reduce heat, and generally can drive hard loads while saving 2 bucks if left on all month with your electricity bill. However, in the end depending how serious you are truth be told they are the best bang for your buck in the sub 1500 range as well unless buying used.

If you have the space, the funds, and the tolerance to use a big ugly amp vs. something the size, and weight of a cigarette carton, go for the good used A-B or Class A amps. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 27 Oct 2016, 08:25 pm »
Class D has its place, but they are still 100% analog amps, nothing to do with the word "digital" just because they have a D' in them!

:scratch:

Did anyone here say Class D was digital?

I hope not.