help in considering a 4b sst purchace

grank

help in considering a 4b sst purchace
« on: 20 Jun 2017, 03:39 pm »
Hi.

I'm in the process of building a 2 channel system for home.  The 4b sst  (not pro) being sold was made after 2006. There is no reciept.  It is from a recording studio, which I assume could mean heavy use. 
Given the info, and assuming a reasonable(?) negotiated price - around $1900 - would you buy it?
Does anyone have any knowledge whether there would be any benefit contacting Bryston regarding warranty options? Or are they firm with policy regarding the requirement for a bill of sale for transfer of warranty.

Thx

Mag

Re: help in considering a 4b sst purchace
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2017, 11:58 pm »
Hi.

I'm in the process of building a 2 channel system for home.  The 4b sst  (not pro) being sold was made after 2006. There is no reciept.  It is from a recording studio, which I assume could mean heavy use. 
Given the info, and assuming a reasonable(?) negotiated price - around $1900 - would you buy it?
Does anyone have any knowledge whether there would be any benefit contacting Bryston regarding warranty options? Or are they firm with policy regarding the requirement for a bill of sale for transfer of warranty.

Thx

That seems like a fair price but without the receipt I don't think Bryston will honour the warranty. That would drop the price for me another $1000, I had to replace the switch on mine. The SST I recall is more linear than the ST but doesn't have what I call bass vibe of the SST2. More linear means from what I heard with the BCD-1 as the source is that it can process details in a recording that the ST didn't.

Also being from a studio it is not likely beer has been spilt on the unit. I bought a computer years ago that unknown to me had beer spilt on the inside. It worked for a couple of weeks then quit.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: help in considering a 4b sst purchace
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:41 am »
Here is the actual copy from Bryston of the warranty rule which matters::
"" As of 2006-02-22 Bryston will only warranty Bryston products purchased through authorized Bryston dealers. Bryston products with a date code of 0608 or higher (date code format is “yyww”, where “yy” is the two least significant digits of the year and “ww” is the week of the year) must be accompanied by a copy of the bill-of-sale from a Bryston authorized dealer to qualify for warranty service. The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product. The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston ""

So.. 'made after 2006' means NO you have NO WARRANTY.

I would guess....
 with the Cubed out, the Squared is pretty low priced.. so any SST is not worth $2 grand without any warranty papers.
I am sure you can find a Squared with papers for $2,500 and it is worth the $600 more over a paperless SST