What does 3D music sound like and its difference from stereo music?

George Jackson

• Restricted
   I have heard a demo of 3D music, and I felt it is not something like stereo. It can be heard more details and even distinguish the vocals' sound changes when she walks around.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7XChShXMQ

Phil A

Not a headphone listener and gave a few pair I had for years away a couple of years back.  But I do have a couple of binaural recordings.  I do have a few things recorded in Q Sound.  In a secondary system, I have an old Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram unit that once a year I fun with.  It has some interesting effects depending on how the music was recorded.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
wow nice belly. This video have a POV camera sound recording imo.
I have a Carver Amazing that I think have the Sonic Hologram, I dont know if the huge 3D image this planar have is due it.

witchdoctor

I have heard a demo of 3D music, and I felt it is not something like stereo. It can be heard more details and even distinguish the vocals' sound changes when she walks around.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7XChShXMQ

I have two systems with 3D sound. My desktop system uses a Sunfire TG3 processor and I leave Sonic Holography engaged. Sounds great with two channel.

In the home theater I use Auro 3D immersive audio via an upmixer for both music and movies.
I have a thread here called Why Two channel sucks Compared to Immersive Audio if you want more info.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Two channel set up properly with the right components can give you 3D sound staging and imaging or in my case 4D. BSG QOL anybody !

charles

witchdoctor

Abbey Road studios mixed Pink Floyd in 3D audio for their London exhibition, listen to how the engineers describe it in this video. I have the same speaker layout (also with active speakers) in witchdoctor studios  :green:

https://youtu.be/yMlFN8V4qW4

Bendingwave

• Restricted
I have a Carver Amazing that I think have the Sonic Hologram, I dont know if the huge 3D image this planar have is due it.

You THINK??? :lol:.......sonic hologram is from the preamp or electronic control box that one can switch on and off.

I had a Carver integrated amp and I did NOT care for the sonic holography sound as I played most of my music with it OFF because for one it sounded fake and two because that ambient sound tended to cause me listening fatigue when listening to music for prolong periods of time.

Phil A

You THINK??? :lol:.......sonic hologram is from the preamp or electronic control box that one can switch on and off.

I had a Carver integrated amp and I did NOT care for the sonic holography sound as I played most of my music with it OFF because for one it sounded fake and two because that ambient sound tended to cause me listening fatigue when listening to music for prolong periods of time.

Correct - I owned many of Phase Linear's preamps and and amps and some of the original Carver stuff.  I sold one C-9 unit many moons a go and regretted it.  I bought two used one (had one in the main system in my old house and one in basement system).  A friend of mine in the audio business always wanted a unit and when I moved a few years back he came over to help me back stuff in the SUV to take it down to FL (and my speakers were a pain).  So I gave him one.  My unit looks like this:

Phil A

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
The late models Silver and Platinum have the Sonic Holografy circuit in a adjusting 3 knobs control.
Bass Damping, Presence and Treble.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-amazing-loudspeaker-platinum-edition-page-3
To the right of the bass Q control are a "High Frequency Trim" that allows you to shelve the treble above 4kHz, a "Sub Bass" synthesizer that will generate or supposedly "restore" sub-bass harmonics to program material deficient in deep-bass energy, a "Gundry Perspective" control that allows you to shelve the upper mids and thus change the apparent orchestral perspective, and finally a "Sonic Hologram" control.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
The late models Silver and Platinum have the Sonic Holografy circuit in a adjusting 3 knobs control.
Bass Damping, Presence and Treble.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-amazing-loudspeaker-platinum-edition-page-3
To the right of the bass Q control are a "High Frequency Trim" that allows you to shelve the treble above 4kHz, a "Sub Bass" synthesizer that will generate or supposedly "restore" sub-bass harmonics to program material deficient in deep-bass energy, a "Gundry Perspective" control that allows you to shelve the upper mids and thus change the apparent orchestral perspective, and finally a "Sonic Hologram" control.

The electronic control box>The Amazing's optional gadget box allows a variety of signal processing....Key word OPTIONAL because its not built into the speakers but in a SEPARATE OPTIONAL electronic control box....so if you have this OPTIONAL GADGET (the electronic control box) then you do have sonic holography but if you do NOT have this box then you do not have sonic hologram its that simple :roll:.....THINKING you might have it means you most likely do NOT have it or else you would of actually KNOWN if you had sonic holography or not.  :duh:  :lol:

BruceSB

Just wondering.
Is an SST Trinaural Processor a 3D music generator?
Thanks.
Bruce

witchdoctor

Just wondering.
Is an SST Trinaural Processor a 3D music generator?
Thanks.
Bruce

I had one for a while and IMO it helped you distinguish individual sounds in the mix. Nothing does 3D quite like an immersive setup as described in the video from Abbey Road studios. All of these other setups lack the vertical sound stage that setups like Ambeo and Auro 3D create.

Phil A

Always liked the Amazing's though and Carver's stuff.  Very innovative and decently priced for the time.  I owned most of the Phase Linear line at one point or another, including the turntable, auto correlation unit (which I really loved with stuff like their FM tuner or old cassette tapes - owned the 5100 Series II and the outboard Series II auto correlation unit), preamps, amps, etc.  I don't use my C-9 unit tons and there are people who do mods and I've always been tempted to do it.  I broke my audio baby teeth in on his stuff.  Moved me into separates.

OzarkTom

Until IFI brought out their 3D circuit, I never liked them.

Phil A

The only thing I've personally heard that Carver did and I hated horribly were those little cube amps.  At one point in my audio life I was using one of those big old monster receivers (don't even remember what it was now) and a neighbor had one that we wasn't using and I borrowed it.  In my system, it sounded horrid.  I do miss some of the old equipment, Carver and others.  I still remember getting the Dahlquist subwoofer and electronic crossover (both used) and learning about bass performance in a real room.  One of the reasons, I like having different systems is the ability to evaluate individual things and how they work (or don't work) in a particular system. Whether or not someone else's preferences are my thing or not, I do enjoy coming here and seeing what they do with it.  I had surround sound before Dolby was available in the home. 

Before stereo TV I had one of these to tune in TV in hi-fi (dual mono):

Had one of these too:

The above had a crappy 15W amp built in for the surround channel and I had a 50WPC SAE amp to power them.

witchdoctor

In my desktop system I use the Sunfire Theater grand 3 and the carver AV 505 amp. The amp uses tricle down tech from the famed Lightstar and throws the biggest soundstage. You can see the amp on the floor with the rack handles in front:

George Jackson

• Restricted
Not a headphone listener and gave a few pair I had for years away a couple of years back.  But I do have a couple of binaural recordings.  I do have a few things recorded in Q Sound.  In a secondary system, I have an old Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram unit that once a year I fun with.  It has some interesting effects depending on how the music was recorded.

It is said that this 3D Music is just using an in-ear binaural microphone called Scenes Lifelike with an iPhone 6. Just iPhone built-in camera to record. I can't help feeling amazed by this awesome 3D music. It just made me feel that female vocalist just singing around me. Still feel "wow" when I watched again

George Jackson

• Restricted

No, it was said that this video was just recorded by an iPhone with a in-ear binaural microphone. Just use iPhone built-in camera to record. Though image is 2D, but the sound did sound awesome which really made me feel as I was there. :)

George Jackson

• Restricted
I have two systems with 3D sound. My desktop system uses a Sunfire TG3 processor and I leave Sonic Holography engaged. Sounds great with two channel.

In the home theater I use Auro 3D immersive audio via an upmixer for both music and movies.
I have a thread here called Why Two channel sucks Compared to Immersive Audio if you want more info.
Wow, your equipment sounds awesome. But this is not same as surround theater sound system. It was just recorded by an in-ear binaural microphone called Scenes Lifelike connected with iPHONE via the lighting port. As far as concerned, it was compatible with all iOS devices equipped with lightning connector because it was certified by MFi.