Your favorite vintage speakers

Bemopti123

Re: Your favorite vintage speakers
« Reply #60 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:32 am »
Vintage for me is anything pre 1980s when cheap, light weight LDFB cabs and drivers with puny magnets were made.  The boxes are not even worth the materials to bury your dead pet in!  At least, that is what I consider "Vintage." 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #61 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:15 pm »
My set of B&W801 MKII speakers are over 20 years old and still are in occasional use here.  They have my crossover fix of course.

I pull them out from time to time to test our newest electronics designs to make sure we are not designing for good results with just one speaker brand or design.

Every time I hook them up they sound better and better.

Its kind of funny, when they came out, they have a reputation for just eating up amplifier power and many 200 watt per channel amp owners lamented that their amps would not drive them properly.  Today I have them hooked up and running on our Ultravalve 35 watt per channel tube amp and the musicality and deep bass impact is simply impressive.

They are keepers for me for sure.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

bunnyma357

« Reply #62 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm »
I still love my Alison CD-9's that I've had for 26 years. I think Roy Alison made some great designs, and I still think that his designing a speaker for where it will be in a room - against a wall or in a corner, makes a lot of sense.

Jim C

JakeJ

« Reply #63 on: 10 Apr 2010, 05:23 pm »
My new favorite is the Beveridge 2 SW.  A friend owns a pair and I listen to them every chance I get.

mikecole

« Reply #64 on: 25 Apr 2010, 09:10 pm »
My two favorites are the two I am using now - the speakers from my '57 Ampex console and a pair of Dynaco A25s. Wayner, yours are too cool man. I am thinking of getting the tweeters in mine replaced with the current version SEAS tweeters from Madisound and a couple of new caps. All depends on how motivated I get :-) My other favorite (that I never owned) would have been the JBL L100 - *the* classic rock speaker.

Mike

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #65 on: 25 Apr 2010, 09:58 pm »
I've had the large Advents and always wanted a set of JBL L100s.
Nobody mentioned Magnepan or Carver Amazings? 

Delta Wave

« Reply #66 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:17 pm »
I have a pair of original M&K S1's. Unfortunately one got knocked over during my last move and the tweeter cabinet physically broke off of the bass cabinet. Eventually I'm going to make some new cabinets for them with some updated crossovers.

drphoto

« Reply #67 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:18 pm »
Anyone remember a brand called Essence? There were a bunch of drivers in individual boxes stacked up in a staggered fashion for time alignment. I heard them back in, I think, '83. Driven by all CJ Premier amps and a Sota Sapphire table they were pretty stunning. $8K which was a chunk of change in those days.

Ditto Large Advents.

I had a pair of ADS. Don't remember the model #, but a 6" 2 way w/ a metal grill. Being a moron when in college I put them in my hotrod VW bug. Best damn car audio I've ever heard, but of course the extremes of heat and cold took their toll on the poor speakers.

My high end audio adventures started w/ hearing a pair of the Chartwell version of the BBC monitor in oh....'78 I think.

boycephoto

« Reply #68 on: 19 May 2010, 12:26 am »
I have a few pair of vintage speakers.  I been thinking of parting with a few pair. 

A staked pair of walnut Large Advents. 
Dynaco A25's
Celestion Ditton 15
Celestion Ditton 442 (on loan to my daughter)
Small Advents
Mission 760 (video system)
Regnar/Dahlquist DQ-10's
Magnepan 3.6's (main system)

My favorite vintage speaker:
Rogers LS3/5a in Stirling Broadcast thin wall referance cabinets. (Office)   

acidaho

« Reply #69 on: 24 May 2010, 03:48 am »

Probably unheard of, but I absolutely adore my AERO 903A's

Mike Nomad

« Reply #70 on: 24 May 2010, 02:37 pm »
JBL 4412; Celestion A-3