HAP Z1ES RWA 2.5 X-BAL experiences

noushyk

HAP Z1ES RWA 2.5 X-BAL experiences
« on: 2 Oct 2014, 07:16 pm »
Just received mine after being sent out for over a month. Plan to set it up today and compare it to my stock Z1 unit. Any one else have one of these? Also going to do some tube rolling with the output stage using the telefunkens and the EAT tubes. Will post updates once I have it setup and able to A/B against the stock unit using identical shunyata balanced signal and power Ztron Pythons.

Noushy

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: HAP Z1ES RWA 2.5 X-BAL experiences
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2014, 02:28 pm »
Hi Noushy,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

I hope you are enjoying your RWA-Z1ES-2.5-BAL, and thanks for posting your impressions!

PS: I am currently using Amperex PQ 8416's in mine (this is a 12V version of the 7308, so you need to set the heater voltage switch
on the tube stage boards to the 12V setting) - it is very addictive sounding to say the least!

I also love the Telefunkens in there - but I haven't had time to compare.

I'll have the RWA-Z1ES at RMAF - heading out tomorrow!

Cheers,

Vinnie

noushyk

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2014, 06:27 pm »
Thanks Vinnie, just getting it broken in now.  I installed the telefunkens and also the EAT tubes and trying some comparisons. Plan on doing much more listening this weekend.  Here is a pic of my setup with the stock unit and the RWA modded version.  Will update after this weekend.

groovybassist

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:39 pm »
I'm also using the Amperex PQ 8416s (purchased from Vinnie) in my Sig 16 and Bellina DAC.  The 3-dimensionality and tone of the 8416s is terrific, and I haven't even broken in my components or the 8416s yet.  I'm very happy with the change.

-Mike

noushyk

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2014, 08:33 pm »
So far the sound is subtly more mellow and relaxed, a bit less digital. It takes quite a bit of time to break in both the unit and the new tubes.  Also I guess it is harder to tell the difference between the stock and modded unit when using a tube preamp.  Overall I am pleased with the installation and fit and finish, Vinnie does a great job. Hoping that once I have at least a 100hrs on the unit to be able to give you a detailed review.  Also will be adding a LH labs Geek Soul unit with my MBPro to get a comparison vs the RWA HAP Z1 2.5 as well.

Noushy

eso6686

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:31 am »
So far the sound is subtly more mellow and relaxed, a bit less digital. It takes quite a bit of time to break in both the unit and the new tubes.  Also I guess it is harder to tell the difference between the stock and modded unit when using a tube preamp.  Overall I am pleased with the installation and fit and finish, Vinnie does a great job. Hoping that once I have at least a 100hrs on the unit to be able to give you a detailed review.  Also will be adding a LH labs Geek Soul unit with my MBPro to get a comparison vs the RWA HAP Z1 2.5 as well.

Noushy

Have you managed to push 100hr into your sony's? Dying to hear your impressions :)

noushyk

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2015, 02:38 am »
Ok so I am probably well over 100hrs and I have done multiple back to back comparisons with the stock unit and my MCD550 playing the same DSD media (SACD SHM). The modded unit with the EAT tubes is much warmer and has a bigger soundstage and clarity than the stock unmodified unit. However when compared to my MCD550 it still cannot beat the sonic qualities of that player. Granted it is a $6500 SACD player but it isn't even close. Multiple listeners on my system with varying expertise can all identify the SACD vs. the RWA 2.5X HAP Z1.  Where the modified unit shines is in simplicity and ease of use and for that it still holds a place in my audio rack.  The rest of my system consists of a Mcintosh C2500 preamp, MC452 amplifier, ML Summit-X speakers paired with REL Gibraltors all wired with Shunyata power cables, Shunyata Python speaker cables and AQ Fire and Wind balanced interconnects.  Power is through a pair of Shinyata Hydras and dedicated multiple 20a circuits.  Please feel free to email me or message me with questions. noushyk@hotmail.com

Peace
Noushy