Lampizator and Turntables

dminches

Re: Lampizator and Turntables
« Reply #100 on: 18 Apr 2015, 03:54 pm »
Wait, I thought this thread was only about the Lampi Big 7.  What happened?   :roll:

bonzo75

« Reply #101 on: 18 Apr 2015, 03:55 pm »
Wait, I thought this thread was only about the Lampi Big 7.  What happened?   :roll:

No one had any inputs on the main topic, so now it's like a pub hangout

dminches

« Reply #102 on: 18 Apr 2015, 03:59 pm »
That sounds good to me.

Geardaddy

« Reply #103 on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:09 pm »
Yes indeed.  Very few seven owners have both which I find a little surprising.  When time and money permits, I want to snag a Triangle table....the entry level model....

bonzo75

« Reply #104 on: 19 Apr 2015, 08:41 am »
Btw one of the rooms worth visiting is a 43 ft room in Vegas. I haven't been there yet, but the guy has just bought the 80k Martin Logan Neoliths
 for the front two, and has moved his CLXs to the sides, with his ML prodigys in the rear. Each of the front 4 is connected to a Velodyne sub, and the rears to a Logan Descent sub. The centre channel is a stack of Logan theater channels,  an array of five of them with the tweeter enabled only for one. Meridian processor.

He does use a BADA, so maybe Gopher or berto can take over a Lampi to him

Geardaddy

« Reply #105 on: 19 Apr 2015, 02:27 pm »
Btw one of the rooms worth visiting is a 43 ft room in Vegas. I haven't been there yet, but the guy has just bought the 80k Martin Logan Neoliths
 for the front two, and has moved his CLXs to the sides, with his ML prodigys in the rear. Each of the front 4 is connected to a Velodyne sub, and the rears to a Logan Descent sub. The centre channel is a stack of Logan theater channels,  an array of five of them with the tweeter enabled only for one. Meridian processor.

He does use a BADA, so maybe Gopher or berto can take over a Lampi to him

That sounds like fun. One of the better home theater demos I've heard was Martin Logan and I'm in general fan of the speakers when properly implemented.   Does he have a newer  dac from Berkeley or previous generation?

bonzo75

« Reply #106 on: 19 Apr 2015, 06:40 pm »
Not sure. The best MCH demos I have heard have been with Datasat dirac auro 3d processor. I heard a 13.4 system of B&Ws (I am not a fan of the speakers in 2ch) in a 7m * 3m room. Still possibly one of the best if not the best room I have been in.

Geardaddy

« Reply #107 on: 19 Apr 2015, 09:42 pm »
Norman was telling me about that company....Swiss correct?

bonzo75

« Reply #108 on: 19 Apr 2015, 09:51 pm »
Norman was telling me about that company....Swiss correct?

Dunno. But datasat and Trinnov are the only real high end MCH processors. And Auro and Atmos are like Dolby, for processing sound. Dirac is the room corrector Datasat uses. if you hear an Auro 3d system do a church organ, you won't find any 2-ch system that does 10 percent of that church organ. They use it as a demo disc. You can hear it at CES, they might have it in other shows. They have it at Munich this year, I think.

wisnon

« Reply #109 on: 20 Apr 2015, 10:42 am »
The Swiss company is illusonic and their main processor handles 16 channels and costs $20k. It uses Immersive sound tech "3D sound".

Goldmund Mimesis is 16 or 32 channels and uses Proteus and Leonard DRC and time domain correction, but not 3D.

Gopher

« Reply #110 on: 20 Apr 2015, 05:44 pm »
For what it's worth, Mike over at Audioshark has a Kronos Sparta turntable with a very fine ZYX cartridge and posted some thoughts comparing it to the Big 7:

Quote from: Mike;122735
As for what most resembles the Vinyl I played this morning of the same album, it's the Lampi. With the Lampi perhaps even creating more of an intimate performance likely due to the tubes at source. It just seemed to move you up a few rows if you know what I mean. I suspect a good tube phonostage would do the same thing.

Mike if I may ask you a question. Going from vinyl to dsd with the lampi. Do you find the dsd to be a little more dynamic over vinyl ? - AL

Quote from: Mike;122744
Not really. I would say the opposite, but I am using the new ZYX Universe Premium Cart which is very dynamic. The Lampi seemed richer though and obviously dead quiet!

Quote from: Mike;122748
I enjoyed the overall performance of the Lampi for this album the best because of the intimacy it created. It just brought me into the band, if you know what I mean.

Geardaddy

« Reply #111 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:45 pm »
Fred, he had the unit for just a few days correct?  I am not sure what to make of his opinion as he also though PCM was average through the 7? 

I have polled one former B7 owner and two current GG owners about vinyl off the record and they still preferred vinyl.  I own the 7 but still desire vinyl.  Even my wife says I should get a turntable. :lol: 

Its obviously a matter of taste as the OP and other feels differently.  I think owning both is the obvious answer due to source material limitations.  I am inheriting my paternal grandmother's record collection soon.  She was a classically trained pianist, and I cannot wait to pay homage to her (since she is probably why I am in the hobby....)     

sfox7076

« Reply #112 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:34 am »
I love vinyl, but don't have the time to listen to it every night.  LampizatOr solved that issue. Now I need to sell my thorens td160 because I got an AMG. When I listen to vinyl, I prefer it.

wisnon

« Reply #113 on: 22 Apr 2015, 11:48 am »
Fred, he had the unit for just a few days correct?  I am not sure what to make of his opinion as he also though PCM was average through the 7? 

I have polled one former B7 owner and two current GG owners about vinyl off the record and they still preferred vinyl.  I own the 7 but still desire vinyl.  Even my wife says I should get a turntable. :lol: 

Its obviously a matter of taste as the OP and other feels differently.  I think owning both is the obvious answer due to source material limitations.  I am inheriting my paternal grandmother's record collection soon.  She was a classically trained pianist, and I cannot wait to pay homage to her (since she is probably why I am in the hobby....)   

LoL

One of those GG owners have 4 of the best TTs in existence, so cant possibly count. I am completely NOT a TT lover, but even I had to drool.  Talk about absolutist no-hold barred design! Only the Mystere could have added any cahet to those 4 behemoths.

bonzo75

« Reply #114 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:09 pm »

Hi I don't have an opinion on high end TTs because I haven't compared. Hence the reason for me starting the thread.

Regarding those two GG owners, one is AC. What TT did the other have? And what TT did the former B7 owner have, and why is he former, what did he move to? Thanks

Geardaddy

« Reply #115 on: 22 Apr 2015, 05:04 pm »
Hi I don't have an opinion on high end TTs because I haven't compared. Hence the reason for me starting the thread.

Regarding those two GG owners, one is AC. What TT did the other have? And what TT did the former B7 owner have, and why is he former, what did he move to? Thanks

I can give you their contact information and you can ask them those questions directly for the sake of discretion.

Why did you start this thread?  Do you feel the Lampi is missing something?  What does your system consist of?  Dedicated room or just an untreated living space? 

I find that there is an inverse relationship between thread activity and system bliss.  I know its true for me.  I am currently in that transitional audio purgatory of system construction and thus a brief burst of thread activity although I find most of the banter unproductive (including my own). 

bonzo75

« Reply #116 on: 22 Apr 2015, 05:30 pm »
I can give you their contact information and you can ask them those questions directly for the sake of discretion.

Why did you start this thread?  Do you feel the Lampi is missing something?  What does your system consist of?  Dedicated room or just an untreated living space? 

I find that there is an inverse relationship between thread activity and system bliss.  I know its true for me.  I am currently in that transitional audio purgatory of system construction and thus a brief burst of thread activity although I find most of the banter unproductive (including my own).

My interest in audiophilia is pure addiction, to know what works and what doesn't. For me this hobby is less about music, I am not deluding myself, I get my music kicks from averaging one classical live show every week or two, and from youtube bootlegs of Led Zep. As far as audiophilia as a hobby is concerned, I am a demo addict, and a forum chat addict. And my OCD is channeled into comparing things and finding a new journey. Maybe it's my tendency to tick off a check list, get into details on something. I have listened to all the planars I wanted to, boxes before that sought out various horns, and demoed multiple amps, and almost all the main dacs. I have lost an interest in dacs totally. My interest in speakers has partially reduced except until something very new or different is brought to my attention.

I need a new journey. TT is the ideal candidate, though tough to demo as you can't carry a whole set up around and AB it like with a pre or a dac or a cable. So I started this thread because I was bored and wanted to chat, and this was at the top of mind.

I don't find banter unproductive, as I can take some things away. Keeps my workday interesting. Also, for example, Sfox mentioned AMG. Haven't heard it, and was not planning to, but now filed it away for future demo, as someone with Lampi ears likes it

Sure let me know their contacts. Thanks.

PS: mentioned my system before - I had Martin Logan Summits with AR Ref amps, now Verity Audio Leonores with Jadis, but building up to get a Tune Audio Anima or Analysis Audio type planar. Will never have a dedicated room, plan to continue living in central London for life

wisnon

« Reply #117 on: 23 Apr 2015, 02:19 pm »
Make sure to put this TT on your demo list then.

LumenWhite Mystere...you are welcome in advance. LoL

Geardaddy

« Reply #118 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:45 pm »
interesting vignette from Fremer:  http://www.analogplanet.com/content/coolclevelandcom-asks-cd-vs-vinyl-comparison

I like a lot of this issue is colored by bias and system voicing.  I don't think you need to spend megabucks on a table to get good sound....

dminches

« Reply #119 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:13 pm »
interesting vignette from Fremer:  http://www.analogplanet.com/content/coolclevelandcom-asks-cd-vs-vinyl-comparison

I like a lot of this issue is colored by bias and system voicing.  I don't think you need to spend megabucks on a table to get good sound....

+1