DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

sfox7076

Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #180 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:04 pm »

JDUBS

« Reply #181 on: 30 Jul 2017, 07:02 pm »
Are any of you guys cleaning your fluid so you can reuse it, with something like this?:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218276-my-version-ultrasonic-record-cleaner-13.html#post3215289

-Jim

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #182 on: 30 Jul 2017, 07:26 pm »
I filter my fluid a couple of times before using it for car windshield wash.  Unlike the process you cited, I'm very low tech, using coffee filters and gravity. 

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #183 on: 11 Sep 2017, 07:00 pm »
Are any of you guys cleaning your fluid so you can reuse it, with something like this?:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218276-my-version-ultrasonic-record-cleaner-13.html#post3215289

-Jim

Yes and the filter system works great! Here's my setup:

I installed a pump and filter system similar to Rushton's. It was a little harder to source the exact parts in Canada so I ended up with:

Sicce Syncra 0.5 aquarium pump found at a local aquarium supply shop
10 feet of 3/8" Inside Diameter clear hose (really only needed 4 feet or so)
Pentek 158110 3/8-Inch 5-Inch Slim Line Clear Filter Housing from Amazon.ca
Pentek PD-1-934 Polypropylene Filter Cartridge, 9-7/8-Inch x 2-1/2-Inch, 1 Micron from Amazon.ca (big mistake see below)
3ea. 1/2" NPT x 3/8" barb connectors from OntarioBeerKegs.com
3ea. 3/8" NPT x 3/8" barb connectors from Home Depot
1ea. 3/8" female cap for sealing the drain end out of the filter when not in use

I learned a few things:

1. I taped the joints with teflon tape but still got some leakage. I ended up replacing the white teflon tape with pink teflon tape made for water joints and the leaks stopped.

2. The gasket on the filter housing MUST be greased prior to use, the damn thing leaked like a sieve without the grease. I had some white lithium grease normally used on my turntable bearing that did the trick.

3. The aquarium guy told me I could cut a 10" filter in half for my 5" filter housing, but that really didn't work well. I tried to cut it with a hacksaw and made a mess of it. I am using one of the halves temporarily but I ended up ordering the 5" filters from Amazon.ca (Hydronix SDC-25-0501 NSF Sediment Filter 2.5-Inch OD X 4 7/8-Inch Length, 1 Micron, Pack of 2). They have a 3-4 week lead time.

Once the 5" filters arrive I plan on filtering the water after every batch of records.

simoon

« Reply #184 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:38 am »
I kind of like this guy's method of drying records after they come out of he US bath.

https://youtu.be/wFiZDiM6CHc?t=697

Simple, cheap and seems effective.

S Clark

« Reply #185 on: 24 Oct 2017, 02:38 am »
I like simple.  His setup using a drill and centripetal force should work well for those who don't have a vacuum setup.  Regardless, the ultrasonic cleaning method is simply better than your standard VPI/Nitti Gritty type cleaners.

simoon

« Reply #186 on: 30 Oct 2017, 08:56 pm »
The 6L ultrasonic cleaner just had a major price drop from one ebay seller!

Makes it even cheaper to get into ultrasonic cleaning, whether you DIY or buy one of the kits from https://thevinylstack.com/ultrasonic-cleaning/ultra-sonic-spin-record-cleaning-kit/

$43.00!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Industry-Heated-Heater-w-Timer/263266583267?hash=item3d4be942e3%3Ag%3AMUwAAOSwrjBZ5WtO&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

undertowogt1

« Reply #187 on: 30 Oct 2017, 09:06 pm »

Makes it even cheaper to get into ultrasonic cleaning, whether you DIY or buy one of the kits from https://thevinylstack.com/ultrasonic-cleaning/ultra-sonic-spin-record-cleaning-kit/

$43.00!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Industry-Heated-Heater-w-Timer/263266583267?hash=item3d4be942e3%3Ag%3AMUwAAOSwrjBZ5WtO&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

thats a good deal, mine was about $165 Canadian

dolsey01

« Reply #188 on: 30 Oct 2017, 09:17 pm »

$43.00!

Must be a price mistake, the shipping alone from China must be close to that.

audio.bill

« Reply #189 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm »
That price does seem quite suspect since all comparable units seem to be $100 or more, and the seller has limited feedback none of which for any similar product.

S Clark

« Reply #190 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:39 pm »
Yep.  I checked out the guys sales history also.  Nothing like it sold in his limited past.  Helluva deal, but some risk.  Funny how they always go together.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #191 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:50 pm »
And all of his "successful" sales were to the same guy at .99 each.    No way!!!

audio.bill

« Reply #192 on: 30 Oct 2017, 11:53 pm »
You would be covered by eBay's money back guarantee if you don't receive the item as described, but not sure who would be responsible for return shipping if required which could be significant going back to China.

toddc2

« Reply #193 on: 6 Dec 2017, 02:59 pm »
I thought I would post a quick update after living with my USC for about 6 months. To recap:

Squeaky Clean Vinyl RCM with extra pickup wand for clean rinse + cheapo shop vac
10L TruSonic tank
VinylStack ULTRA Sonic Spin kit
Filter assembly as listed in one of my earlier posts
USC fluid per Rushton's formula (5% IPA, 0.13% Triton X-100, 0.1% quat)

I pre-clean my records on the RCM vacuum machine using MoFi Super Wash, then Disc Doctor Miracle Wash
25 Minutes in USC at the lowest spin setting and water at 30C
Double distilled rinse using clean pickup wand
Air dry after final vacuum for 30 minutes
New MoFi sleeve

LESSONS LEARNED:

1. The aquarium pump ending up leaking too much and I replaced it with a Bayite BYT-7A015 with excellent results.
2. I think I warped a few records early on using 35C-40C water and drying on a dish rack. I reduced the temp and started using a spare Sonic Spin stack to dry the records on the Sonic Spin rack and haven't warped a record since switching.
3. I slowed down my second rinse vaccuum rotation to about 1 RPM and only use one complete revolution. This seem to do a better job drying the record and is resulting in fewer noise artifacts.
4. I'm rinsing my clean pickup wand frequently (OK, maybe obsessively)

My minty vinyl sounds spectacular after a good cleaning and my less-than-minty stuff sounds better although I still have a few problem records with noise. I'll likely experiment with the noisy ones to see if I can quiet them down.

Todd

S Clark

« Reply #194 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:13 pm »
25 minutes in the ultrasonic??  That's way more than anyone else I've hear of.  Mine get 2 or 3 depending on condition. 

toddc2

« Reply #195 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:56 pm »
25 minutes in the ultrasonic??  That's way more than anyone else I've hear of.  Mine get 2 or 3 depending on condition.

I started with 10 minutes in the ultrasonic, but the batch timing wasn't working for me. The reason I settled on 25 minutes is that just happens to be the amount of time I need to listen to a clean side of vinyl and enjoy a beverage.

S Clark

« Reply #196 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:37 pm »
I started with 10 minutes in the ultrasonic, but the batch timing wasn't working for me. The reason I settled on 25 minutes is that just happens to be the amount of time I need to listen to a clean side of vinyl and enjoy a beverage.

I like it.  I may adopt your strategy.   :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #197 on: 7 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm »
We're gonna need a lot of beverages...

jpm

« Reply #198 on: 22 Feb 2018, 04:33 pm »

xsb7244

« Reply #199 on: 4 Mar 2018, 03:23 am »
What happened to the mgalusha ultrasonic cleaner sale you guys were interested in?