Kink to wall mounted WTC house vibrations getting thru.

mgsboedmisodpc2

Recently while listening to some music on my WTC mounted on a Target wall shelf a vibration came thru causing rumble and low frequency flutter to come thru the speakers and subwoofer because it was closing time for the business below and as the gates were lowered the brick wall vibrated. The business below me has two gates on two walls of the building.  The vibration was strongest on the wall which both the business security gate and Target wall shelf share or are both mounted on.  The lowering of the gate around the corner caused less noise to come thru the speakers.  I have often wondered if a table design like the SOTA Sapphire with a well-tempered arm mounted on it might be better at handling this kind of vibration while mounted on the Target wall self.

watercourse

Re: Kink to wall mounted WTC house vibrations getting thru.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2015, 09:09 pm »
I have a busy light rail train within 50' of my house, which used to cause skipping at times with my other tables. I have a Target-like open metal and mdf rack that sits on a suspended wooden floor over a garage. The 85-year-old building, like most western San Francisco real estate, is built on a thin veneer of concrete and blacktop sitting on former sand dunes, which are inherently unstable. I've been here for 8 years, so have done a lot of experimentation with inner tubes, springs, foam, mag lev, and different types of shelving made of wood, acrylic, mdf, in various combinations.

First, I found the most significant improvement by first locating the rack where there is the greatest stability in the first place - so I'd suggest finding out whether there is a better location either on the wall furthest from the biggest source of vibrations, or somewhere on the existing wall that is less susceptible to vibrations.

For me, what made the skipping go away without any sonic side effects is the following. If this worked for me and you have less vibration than me to address, it may be just the ticket to reduce feedback below perceptibility:

1. Sorbothane pucks between the metal rack and the mdf shelf
2. Adding a 4" hard maple butcher block on top of the mdf shelf, with a large piece of recycled rubber crumb mat between the block and the shelf
http://www.grainger.com/product/10U465?cm_sp=HIO-_-HIDP-_-RR_VTV_P&cm_vc=IDPRRZ11&zoneId=IDPRRZ11
3. Herbie's turntable footers or tall Tenderfeet (soft), on top of a thick fat dot (dB neutralizer), on top of a piece of Grungebuster (regular thickness). The Tenderfeet work better with more severe vibrations, but can overdamp the sound compared to the turntable-specific footers. I recommend using 4 footers or 4 Tenderfeet.
4. The rack itself sits on Herbie's large gliders.

The above worked best after trying out different combos. I can now jump and stomp right next to the rack, and there is a significant reduction in feedback through the table. Though with this "torture test" low frequency rumble does slightly break through the music, it does not cause concern or worry that it would come even close to making the stylus skip, and it is much less audible than if I bumped into the table or rack accidentally.

I never tried hanging the table from the ceiling, but this was my last, untried project mostly due to concerns with stability. Very, very low WAF in any case.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2015, 11:33 pm »
Watercourse wrote "I never tried hanging the table from the ceiling, but this was my last, untried project mostly due to concerns with stability. Very, very low WAF in any case."

I could never use a  ceiling mount because my neighbor above insist on not going out the gym but doing his jump ropes at home bouncing up and down visible moving the ceiling up and down.

"so I'd suggest finding out whether there is a better location either on the wall furthest from the biggest source of vibrations, or somewhere on the existing wall that is less susceptible to vibrations."

Well my first thought was not to listen during closing time.  Before my WTC I was using a Thorens TD 166 MK II and boy did the vibration get thru and so only damped tonearm designs for me.

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2015, 12:02 am »
Well my first thought was not to listen during closing time.  Before my WTC I was using a Thorens TD 166 MK II and boy did the vibration get thru and so only damped tonearm designs for me.
Yep, always use the simplest solution possible, avoid the worst times to listen. I assumed you wanted some advice for addressing vibrations, but upon re-read, that was not what you were looking for at all.

IME, the only table equal to the WT's ability to reject vibrations was the SL-1200. This ability to deal with bad vibes was true for both the Simplex and Amadeus.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:39 am »
"I assumed you wanted some advice for addressing vibrations,"

correct, Grungebuster sounds like a good idea and the TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 vibration rejection was done thru the its feet..wonder what those feet are made of ..Sorbothane maybe ..I guess putting VIBRAPODS under the metal adjustable Isolation Cone Feet I am currently using to level the table might help things a bit.