SP1.7 remote backlight

jradley

SP1.7 remote backlight
« on: 31 Mar 2004, 03:36 pm »
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of my SP1.7 - haven't set it up yet as I'm in the process of moving furniture/rebuilding hi-fi racks etc. etc. but can't wait to get it running.

Anyway, like a child with a new toy, I've been fiddling with the remote and playing with the automatic backlight feature. I've noticed that the room has to be almost completely dark before the backlight chooses to illuminate.

Is there a way of changing the sensitivity so that it will illuminate in a slightly brighter room ? Even if I can read the legends with the available ambient light it would still be cool to have the remote light up.

BTW - when in transit, what stops the the backlight from lighting all the time and flattening the battery ? Mine arrived with the backlight feature enabled, which I was a little surprised at - even more surprised the battery still works at all.

Cheers for any suggestions,

John

Levi

SP1.7 backlight
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:24 pm »
You could enable the motion sensor.  The remote will light up when you move the remote. :)

jradley

SP1.7 remote backlight
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2004, 07:26 pm »
Hi Levi,

Perhaps I've missed this in the manual somewhere, but how exactly do I do that ? (The motion sensor is already enabled but so is the light sensor - ie it needs to be dark (very dark) and moved for the backlight to come on.)

Of course I could always cover the sensor with opaque sticky tape, but I don't really want to do that  :)

Cheers,

John

Levi

To Enable or disable the backlight in the remote control
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2004, 10:19 pm »
To Enable or disable the backlight in the remote:
You can try this settings.  This is straight from the manual.  Default was disabled.  

Press CODE button for 5 seconds
LED will flash red, then release button
Type in 3 digit code 792=MODE /SAVE /DTS
LED will flash again to confirm

Levi

jradley

SP1.7 remote backlight
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2004, 08:48 am »
Hi,

Are you saying that going through that code sequence will effectively disable the light sensor ?

Note that my remote came out the box with the motion sensor enabled (but only when it's dark), hence my comment about how it is likely to have flattened the battery somewhat in transit.

Also, I would like to keep the feature of the backlight working only when it's dark, but would like to change the threshold from pitch black to dim. It doesn't switch on until it's so dark it would be impossible to find the remote if it wasn't in your hand already !

Cheers,

John

Levi

Remote question
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2004, 02:32 pm »
James can answer this one.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
SP1.7 remote backlight
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2004, 09:01 pm »
Hi There,

I do not believe there is a sensitivity setting but we do write the software for the remote so I will ask Dan our software engineer if it is possible to recode the remote for provide greater sensitivity.

james

jradley

SP1.7 remote backlight
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2004, 09:01 am »
Hi James,

Thanks for that - let me know if they come up with any ideas.

Cheers,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
SP1.7 remote backlight
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2004, 01:48 pm »
James,

The sensitivity of the light sensor can not be changed on the fly.
At the level the backlight comes on, it is still very much possible to see the remote,
and even read the description for the buttons.
The backlight should come on at reasonably dim levels, definitely not pitch dark.

Dan