My Dream Speaker

Allezvite

My Dream Speaker
« on: 16 Feb 2004, 04:12 pm »
I'd like to replace a pair of Linn Keilidh speakers with something around the same size.

Due to the fact that my 2-channel rig (Linn Genki or Rega Planar3 / Parasound PPH-100, VTL TL2.5, Bryston 3BSST) is in the family room the WAF says speakers must not be taller than Keilidhs (around 34") and must not be mounted on stands (ugggly!).

I've listened to the FB1's in my system and they were quite impressive.  What I'd like is a smaller tower model bridging the price gap between the LB1 stand-mounted 2-way and the FB-1.  Something like the LB1 footprint, but with 2 woofers.

I wonder if PMC has any designs on offering such a speaker.

Dokter_doug

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2004, 05:44 am »
For Sale: One Wife
Looking To Buy: PMC IB1's mounted on custom stands.

Fife

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2004, 07:01 am »
That is a great one!  :lol:

Really it is.

Allezvite

PMC FB1 vs. Wife
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2004, 02:20 pm »
With wife getting half of everything, they would probably be the most expensive speakers I would ever buy!

maxwalrath

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2004, 02:35 pm »
check out the meadowlark line. women think they're pretty.

Allezvite

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2004, 04:59 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
check out the meadowlark line. women think they're pretty.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's funny, a local dealer picked up the Meadowlark line and I was interested in the Kestrel II's.

I've heard them in a Sim Audio CD / VTL TL2.5 / Blue Circle power amp system and they sounded dead to me (like B&W's).  When the dealer substituted a pair of Dynaudio mini-monitors it was like the system just woke up and started to boogie.

I've also heard the little Swifts in my own system at home and was very unimpressed.  They were not engaging at all and sounded blah, boring.  I'm a believer in the Linn tune-dem / toe-tapping thing and the Meadowlarks just don't do it for me.

That having been said, I've heard the new Meadowlark Ospreys with VTL pre and power and that system sounded very nice.

I just think that the lower end of the Meadowlark line is designed to be inoffensive, maybe they assume that at the price range they sell for, the partnering electronics may not be top drawer and they have voiced the speaker accordingly.  They sound very easy to get along with but not necessarily my cup of tea.  FWIW.

maxwalrath

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2004, 05:58 pm »
Interesting...everything really is so system and room dependant. I switched to Kestral Hotrods from Dynaudio Audience 50's. I like my music loud and with a good deal of bass, but I ended up selling the dynaudios even though they were better at both.

Allezvite

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2004, 08:00 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
Interesting...everything really is so system and room dependant. I switched to Kestral Hotrods from Dynaudio Audience 50's. I like my music loud and with a good deal of bass, but I ended up selling the dynaudios even though they were better at both.

So true.  When I heard the Kestrel II's, I was really auditioning the VTL TL2.5 pre at the time.  I came away thinking that it was a typical romantic sounding, rolled off, tepid, tube piece.  When I hooked it up in my own system the VTL locked in and really lit up the room with detail, dynamics, soundstage, great instrumental timbre, energy... all the good stuff.

As they say, I was so impressed, I bought one.  Any serious piece of equipment I've bought in the last 10 yrs, I've always listened to it in my home system first, different rooms, different ancillary components all team up to make huge differences.

I should really try out the Kestrel II's now that I have my Bryston installed in the home system.  Maybe in my room, with my system, they'll show me what they can do.

jethro

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2004, 04:53 pm »
Allezvite,

A bump so that you see the PMC GB1 post.

Allezvite

My Dream Speaker
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2004, 03:26 pm »
Quote from: jethro
Allezvite,

A bump so that you see the PMC GB1 post.

Thanks Jethro!

That was weird, you wish for a speaker and then the manufacturer introduces it a week later.  Now maybe I'll wish that they'll be only $499 a pair.

As I looked at the PMC product line, a small floor-stander like the GB1 seems like such a logical addition between the LB1 stand-mounted  &  the floor-standing FB1 lines.

I'll definnitely check out this model.  Thanks again.