Royale 400 audition?

threadkiller

Royale 400 audition?
« on: 3 May 2016, 05:42 am »
Anyone else heard the Royale yet?
Or are you too busy glueing together broken old
pieces of crap destined for Goodwill...:)
Just checking...

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: Royale 400 audition?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2016, 10:54 am »
I've got a demo planned when I return to UK early June after a conversion with our UK importer John Burns. The feeling in the UK is that it's a superb turntable. Possibly the best available at any price. John loves it. Ultimately the 10k GBP retail price is the limiting factor Chaz. Not enough people over here who have record collections to justify the outlay or indeed the available funds to buy. Just out of interest how many have been sold in the US?

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2016, 05:12 pm »
Oh I know... money. I try not to bring that into it, yet it really must, I suppose. Mind you, I'm not a snob about it. As you know, Rob, I constantly make fun of overpriced pieces that yield zilch in musical terms. Fortunately the Royale yields the works...that St Burns, what a font of knowledge he is. He loves Maurizio Pollini, after all. Flew to NY just to hear him. Speaks volumes to me.
I don't think any have sold yet, it's new. The people need to hear it rather than be told by some ol twat they need it.  I have heard from dealers I love that the Royale brings it. Some of course, perhaps Fremer, won't get it, since it's not overly machined in Slovania. All I know is it is pure joy! And yet, beyond the Goodwill shoppers.

rob400

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2016, 06:05 pm »
A few sold here Chaz. Guy presently on UK ebay selling his Amadeus because he's bought a 400. I know they've had a few teething problems with earthing but sorted now. Looking forward to fronting my system with a 400. I would speculate it to be my last turntable purchase....

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2016, 06:22 pm »
Yes.... the last. It's everything we've ever wanted... Firebaugh, transcription arm, stunning-ness.
And then, for you, the Dynavector 1t.
Have you heard the new WTL Kauri? At $2k here, it's marvelous. My new pick in that price range.
Oh, what a lovely day...
Cheers! (and stay out of trouble)

rob400

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2016, 06:41 pm »
WTL kauri?  How does it rate against a DV XXL2?

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2016, 05:06 am »
XX2? A lovely cartridge.
Kauri? Equally so. W more body, texture.

rob400

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2016, 11:21 am »
Looks like a very good buy then Chaz for those looking for a new $2k cartridge!

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2016, 03:11 pm »
Yep! It's a doozy...a fan fav!
Since you're probably going to ask... I haven't tried it with a P300, that DV thing of yours.

rob400

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2016, 09:06 am »
Now now we both know that you like Dynavector amplification  :D

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2016, 02:54 pm »
We do, indeed! Currently all I'm privy to is the P75, which isn't enough for the Kauri, nor the XX2 for that matter. It's time for proper matching...spend some money on the phono stage.

rob400

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2016, 07:26 pm »
L301 not far away if JB is true to his word. HX100 also upgraded with new board which will be ready for me when I get back to UK in a month. Should be a formidable combi!

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2016, 04:12 pm »
301 you say? Hm. Should be good.. now get some proper length over there and I'll come visit...meaning that Royale on a proper stand. You'll like it more than that new car.

Has anyone noticed all the new tables coming out? By the likes of MoFi, Sony, Technics? It's amazing to me.
And fewer and fewer CD players...especially from the majors...

Happy listening...

rob400

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2016, 09:43 pm »
Is the WTL stand made for the 400 the best option Chaz?

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2016, 03:15 am »
I like your thoroughness...
Yes and no... it does sound great, and the two shelves below have made various brands of electronics good as well. And there is the appearance- it looks uber tits with the Royale. However, I've heard it on a Box Furniture rack and fancy Lignolab, and the soul of the table was still intact. I would imagine others might work.
Just don't spend such serious money on this table and skimp on a rack or subject it to some untested ( unknown) home brew mess. At least compare what you might use to the Royale rack, just to be sure.
Continued good listening!